TDC Technologies CR-Plus Power Module

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 3:13 +0000

G'day all,

Ive been doing a bit of research recently into this product after having come across it on ebay and have been emailing and conversing back and forth with the manager of the aforementioned product and i am happy to say that I have just purchased it for my hilux D4D.

Here is a brief rundown -

Original Power on a hilux is 343nM and 127kW

With the CR-Plus modeule power is 408nM and 147 kW.

The best part about it is the price - $484 Australian express posted to my door.

Here is their website-
http://www.tdc-technologies.com/

Here is a write up I received from their manager Dave Chandler on what it is and how it works. Will continue in the following posts-

"The PowerBox CR and the digital PowerBox CRplus are so called "Plug & Drive" devices. You don't have to solder or cut wires. Both come with OEM connectors. The unit is installed directly to the common rail pressure sensor. The CR sensor is located in the high-pressure fuel line (common rail), which runs parallel to the cylinder heads. All of our products come with installation instructions (in English).

Here is the difference between the PowerBox CR and the digital PowerBox CRplus:

The PowerBox CR consists of a microprocessor and an integrated circuit that incorporates some capacitors and resistors. The analog components only control the adjustment. The microprocessor controls all data flow, so essentially we can call it a digital PowerBox. The power improvement is moderate when compared to the CRplus. The power gain is somewhat linear with acceleration and increases as speed increases gradually throughout the entire speed range. The PowerBox is adjusted by means of a built-in adjustment screw. The adjustment screw is either turned counterclockwise or clockwise to increase/decrease power. The unit's increased power and torque provides a modest increase in fuel efficiency-- approximately an additional 5%. With some vehicles, the savings is even greater."

--->

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 3:17 +0000

-->
"The PowerBox CRplus is fully digital and includes a signal variation switch with multiple settings, so there's never a problem finding the setting that's best for your vehicle. You can even turn the PowerBox off while it is still connected.

The CRplus has been programmed for optimal performance. Power gains vary depending on engine and ECU type. CRplus users can expect a power improvement ranging from 25% to 55% greater than the gains achieved with our standard PowerBox CR. Essentially, the power improvement is linear to acceleration; however, a greater boost is provided when there's an immediate demand for acceleration. This reduces the time required to pass other vehicles, and, in some cases, means less time exposure to oncoming traffic.

Despite its potential for tremendous power improvement, the CRplus has been programmed to provide better fuel efficiency. Its unique programming increases power when needed most. During acceleration, the injection time required to achieve higher speeds is substantially reduced. This minimizes fuel consumption. In fact, independent testing revealed fuel economy savings from 10% to 15% at signal variation settings between from "3" to "6."

The CRplus includes an extended 31" wiring harness to provide greater reach for installation. Each unit comes complete with detailed illustrated instructions and is backed by our 3-year limited warranty."

The best part is, it doesnt increase your fuel line pressure like the DP Chip does, and the way it works is like a Steinbauer unit with regards to the timing variations of the fuel. Another good thing is that it provides a momentary "boost" when you need it when overtaking or the like, and the price of it is under half of what the other brands go for.

The company is a US based company but they order their gear from Europe so when you order, you order from their US office and the Europe part of their business sends it out to ya.

Will keep ya all updated with information when I get it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 3:18 +0000

Aswell as what benefits I get on my hilux after I fit it in regards to drivability and fuel consumption figures. Im also thinking about getting a 3" exhaust fitted after initial testing of this product.

Wish me luck 8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 4:55 +0000

Sounds good will be looking forward to your review soon 8-)
I find I do not need any more power but would love better fuel consumption.

Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 5:03 +0000

what sort of consumption are you gettin Rat?

I find with the 33inch tyres, plus being auto, it needs more torque to take off off the line. having more power would make it that much easier to drive and hold top gear easier when cruising 80-110kph and not gear down as soon as the road slightly inclines.

im not looking for a horsepower monster, just want the hilux to be more drivable as she is.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby oldrev on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 5:19 +0000

gday maaaxx
just had a look @ the website i might have to save my pennies i would like a bit more stick particularly for overtaking.
and the price is definately right.
plug in i suppose ya could always convert back if no good
thanks for your research
regards ken
oldrev

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 6:19 +0000

The bigger tyres have made it better for me on take off.
First gear was a waste of time but now it is great I can stay in First that little bit longer (manual).
I do not know my consumption now as the speedo is wrong.
I am getting the speedo fixed to match the new wheels will cost $400- :( But I just got to get it done.
Don't get me wrong more power would be good but if I only could take one fuel consumption would be it but after reading you thread & the info on the site you could get both .

Rat 8-)
Tunnel Rat

Postby lux soap on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 7:01 +0000

Can't wait to here how you go mate. I've got mine booked in at TJM for a snorkel on monday so this chip might be the next purchase. Definately a more attractive price than the DP Chip etc.

I have a 2 3/4" exhaust on mine from Beaudesert Exhausts and it's fantastic - brought a bit of power back to the wheels after the new tyres/ rims. They just send out a kit and you bolt it on yourself or you can get one custom made if that's the way you want to go.
lux soap

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 7:38 +0000

Rat, $400 bux to do your speedo? Mate, your getting ripped hard. Cost me $170 for the Marks Adaptors Speedo Ratio Box to purchase and wired it in meself and now with the 33's the speedo's 100%

Lux soap (nice name by the way) the exhaust I mentioned isnt a custom made one, but a 3" kit with a hi flow cat made by a mob in Albury called Stirling or something like that, got a quote from my local exhaust joint for $850 supplied and I just bolt it up.

that and the chip are my next purchases, should turn it into a different rig altogether.

8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby krusty1 on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 8:38 +0000

hey mmaaxx good luck with the chip n exh.ill be very interested to see how it goes for ya.
krusty1

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:18 +0000

mmaaxx,

Very interesting mate considering the price factor.

I remember reading here that xrdave also got a chip which is quite competitively priced and he's pleased with it. Can't remember what brand that was though.......

Keep us informed mate. Go... go..... HAIP!!!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 9:38 +0000

Thanks MMaaxx I was getting ripped.
I just had a look at there web site (Marks Adaptors Speedo) all I need to do now is work out which one I need :( .
Looking forward to your findings on the CR-Plus power module.

thx
Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:55 +0000

Who charged you that much money to get the speedo fixed, that's highway robbery!!!!!
GreenHilux Guy

Postby Duges on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:44 +0000

Thanks for the info mmaaxx. Looking forward to seeing what happens with fuel consumption as well.
Duges

Postby spyroeast on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 1:37 +0000

Damn those Powerbox pricing is cheaper than my Tunit !! Looks like i got slaugthered !!!:( :( :(
spyroeast

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 8:05 +0000

tunnel Rat, just ring up marks adaptors and tell them your vehicle spec and they'll ship one out to you the same day. I called then early in the morning and had it that arvo.!!

Very easy to wire in, Theres 3 wires from memory going to the speedo pick up sensor, one positive one earth and the signal wire which I beleive from memory is pink with brown dots on it.

I wired it to this wire behind the speedo cluster rather than running the wires throught the floor to the actual speedo unit. Makes for a better fit.

if you were in melbourne, I could do it for ya.....;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Tunnel Rat on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 8:44 +0000

Thx mate will give them a ring tomorrow 8-)

What was that a savings of $230 thx's $230 mmmm what can I do with that :-)

Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 9:48 +0000

Quote " $230 mmmm what can I do with that?"

Mate, you can give half to me if ya like....LOL

get a rear diff breather kit for that money,
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 5:55 +0000

Ok guys, my powerbox unit came in today. I wasnt at work thou but will be going to me mates place to pick it up and fit it straight away so I can get a test run on the way home.

wish me luck, I may come back on here later tonight to post a first run feedback, but I'd need probably the xmas holidays and try it in all conditions to really give a good impression.

Then in the new year, an exhaust will be going on and I may have to fiddle with the unit after that to tune it right.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 6:26 +0000

Maxi,

Let us know how the chip performs.

I heard from a mate that it's pretty good and value for money to boot!

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion