Drivers to Blame for Toyota Accidents

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 3:18 +0000

This is a news report that just came out this afternoon in relation to the accidents in the US that had been blamed on the "sticky accelerator" issues which resulted in all those recalls.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/car-tests-blame-drivers-for-some-toyota-accidents/story-e6frf7ko-1225891677036

US Transportation Department tests of "dozens" of data recorders from Toyota vehicles that were in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration found many drivers mistakenly hit the accelerator instead of the brake, The Wall Street Journal reported.

"The early results suggest that some drivers who said their Toyotas and Lexuses surged out of control were mistakenly flooring the accelerator when they intended to jam on the brakes," the report said.

Yet the findings as part of a broad federal investigation into Toyota's recalls "don't exonerate the car maker from two known issues blamed for sudden acceleration in its vehicles: 'sticky' accelerator pedals that don't return to idle and floor mats that can trap accelerators to the floor,'" the report added.

The data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration included a sampling of "reports in which a driver of a Toyota vehicle said the brakes were depressed but failed to stop the car from accelerating and ultimately crashing," the report noted.

The Transportation Department however, "found that throttles were wide open and brakes not engaged on Toyotas involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration," the Journal report said citing unnamed people familiar with the matter.

Toyota has pulled around 10 million vehicles worldwide since late last year, mostly due to acceleration problems.

The company is looking to improve its recall process following heavy criticism of the way it handled safety issues in the US that have been blamed for more than 80 deaths.

Toyota president Akio Toyoda in June apologised to shareholders for the recall crisis, saying he thought he might have to resign when he was hauled before a US congressional hearing in February.

So in those cases where it was proven that the drivers hit the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal....could Toyota sue them for defamation or something like that? For wrongly accusing the company of negligence?

I reckon it'd open a whole can of worms.

And those proven to have hit the accelerator, and had been involved in an accident where insurance payed them out, you reckon insurance companies would be chasing their money back?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Drivers to Blame for Toyota Accidents

Postby xrdave on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 4:51 +0000

I would say something smart, witty and funny but i wont. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say “Are you gonna drink that?”
xrdave

Postby TrentRyan on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 1:06 +0000

Maybe these drivers need hand throttles :)
TrentRyan

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 4:06 +0000

I read a few more articles on this in Time life recently. Of the 1800 or so reported cases of throttle surge, toyota OBD data found that on less than 18% of these cases did the driver attempt to put pressure on the brake pedal during this acceleration surge.

As a result of this the whole class action suit might be in serious jeopardy. A lot of these drivers are withdrawing from the case not knowing that it was possible that their toyota's were recording data in this level of detail. It seems like a lot of people thought this would be a blank cheque to score some free money just by rear ending a car in a toyota.

No doubt conspiracy theorists are also speculating that the US government was happy to burn toyota at the stake considering the dire position US car manufacturer's were during the GFC.
GreenHilux Guy

Postby McSumWay on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 4:20 +0000

GreenHilux Guy wrote:I read a few more articles on this in Time life recently. Of the 1800 or so reported cases of throttle surge, toyota OBD data found that on less than 18% of these cases did the driver attempt to put pressure on the brake pedal during this acceleration surge.

As a result of this the whole class action suit might be in serious jeopardy. A lot of these drivers are withdrawing from the case not knowing that it was possible that their toyota's were recording data in this level of detail. It seems like a lot of people thought this would be a blank cheque to score some free money just by rear ending a car in a toyota.

No doubt conspiracy theorists are also speculating that the US government was happy to burn toyota at the stake considering the dire position US car manufacturer's were during the GFC.

Not to mention that the Government is the majority shareholder of General Motors so a little dragging down of your largest competitor at a time when you are trying to rebuild your flagging business would surely help a few sales????

This is a terrible good demonstration why governments should not be in businesses with a competitive marketplace. They should stick to baseline service delivery
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Return to Toyota News