Hilux first Pickup to get ESC

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Hilux first Pickup to get ESC

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 1:40 +0000

Guys,

Came across this article which shows that the Hilux/Vigo will be the first pockup truck to get Electronic Stability Control even thou the Governments 2011 laws making it mandatory on all new passenger vehicles doesnt cover pickup trucks, Toyota will fit it anyway.

http://autoindustrie.blogspot.com/2009/08/hilux-vigo-vn-turbo-launched-in.html

However, within the short period of time there have been a lot of discussion amongst governments of developed countries on ESC fitment. Australia, another market with a significant number of trucks (as well as the Aussie favourite car-based trucks; utes) is already mulling on compulsory fitment of ESC on trucks, utes as well as commercial vans. Many Aussies have criticised their government's current exemption of commercial vehicles from the new 2011 compulsory ESC fitment ruling, saying that the move likens treating lives commercial vehicle drivers and their families as second-class. ESC fitment on passenger cars is already compulsory from 2011 onwards in Europe and Australia. In Thailand, Hilux will be the first truck to come fitted with ESC (or VSC in Toyota lingo). Hopefully more truck makers will follow suit.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

If you havent ever driven a vehicle with ESC, go for a drive in one, the technology is phenominal.......you cannot loose control of the vehicle even if you throw it hard into a corner on a wet road....I tried and the vehicle pulled itself up.

Dont know how this will affect things offroad but I know theres an electronic hack to it so you can have a toggle switch to have it on or off.....the FJ Cruiser blokes worked this out in the US.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Hilux first Pickup to get ESC

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 1:59 +0000

I think the tech is good if it can be switched on and of, main issue I fear is that with ESC you are not able to put as much lift or mods into car as it will muck with the ESC and be unroadworthy (I know some are already but I'm not sure you'll get an engineer to sign of as easy with this type of tech under the hood)
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 2:20 +0000

yeah I think your right there mate....I remember reading something in regards to the NCOP proposal that any fouribes with ESC fitted wont be able to be lifted at all......that'll kill the aftermarket mods market for new fourbies but keep the older ones like ours with good value.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 2:49 +0000

Max,

Any more inside information as to the workings to the ESC/VSC.

I have never driven a vehicle with one so don't know how it feels like.

:shock:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Drew on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 6:24 +0000

Spot on maxx they were talking a blanket ban on lifting (or lowering) anything with esc
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby tasibrett on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 2:23 +0000

Just spoke to a chap who rolled the latest Landrover with ESC, he went to underpass a turning car at 110k expecting the ESC to keep it stable as he went off the bitumen and now its a write-off. People are going to take more risks expecting it to drive the care for them.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Quinny34 on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 3:50 +0000

Few things lend weight to the intelligence of that bloke...

Undertaking
Going of the shoulder at 110
Landrover

Seriously, what was he thinking.... I gather he said the ESC didnt cause the accident so I wonder how much worse it would have been if he hadn't had it :shock:

Still, pro's and Con's to everything... and unfortunatly I dont think we will be able to keep this type of tech out of cars much longer...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tonym on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 7:00 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Guys]

What are peoples thoughts on this?

If you havent ever driven a vehicle with ESC, go for a drive in one, the technology is phenominal.......you cannot loose control of the vehicle even if you throw it hard into a corner on a wet road....I tried and the vehicle pulled itself up.

Dont know how this will affect things offroad but I know theres an electronic hack to it so you can have a toggle switch to have it on or off.....the FJ Cruiser blokes worked this out in the US.

Try telling that to the guy from Overlander magazine who rolled the latest model Kluger when they first tested them.
Tonym

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:23 +0000

9W6VX wrote:Max,

Any more inside information as to the workings to the ESC/VSC.

I have never driven a vehicle with one so don't know how it feels like.

:shock:

Brendan.

My first experience with ESC was in the Prado 120 when it was fitted at work.....I think I may have said this once before in another thread....

The floor is polished concrete and was wet...vehicle was a V6 auto.....I parked the rear wheels over a puddle of water, hooked the steering wheel to the right and nailed the accelerator expecting and preparing for the tail end to swing out and for me to catch it with opposite lock.

It didnt happen....the engine revved hard and launch and right at that point where you can feel the tail end begin to loose traction the ABS actuator begins pumping hard and making noises under the bonnet and the brains of the system controls precisely which of the 4 brakes to put on to pull the vehicle back in line and straighten up.....

no shit, it felt like the hand of god grabbing the vehicle and putting it straight....that Id say would have been an extreme sort of test and probably the most Id test it .....I wouldnt recommend driving onto gravel at high speed to see if it would work, but I have faith in the system and reckon it is awesome for "most" sheilas and some blokes. ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jazsam on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 5:40 +0000

I'm pretty sure the new 2010 tritons will be the first utes to rollout esc,
I remember the car bloke on 2UE said they will be the first with esc and side curtain airbags.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C3AE4A437380CB86CA25760B000728AC
jazsam

Postby Ox Man on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 2:30 +0000

I found esc to be more of a headache on unsealed roads..... Tries to correct the laws of sealed road drving when loosing traction. I always make the effort to turn it off when hitting the dirt, in the wet it has tried to drive me into obsticles easily avoided by throttle and counter steer, lost momentum and bogged me on mud roads..... pain in the backside- mind you that was in a new calais.

the one ESP (protection as opposed to control) in the old fellas E55 and the 911 saved my ass a few times on the tarmac in the wet.....
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby buggerlux on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 8:18 +0000

Whats the expected life on brake pads? Does it use the brakes more? How does that effect economy?

Will we have to throw our previous thinking on driving strategy out the window and start again? :)

Bathurst will be interesting if VSC hasn't already been fitted to the touring cars?

Yes, altering your vehicle will be pretty much very limited?
buggerlux

Postby 4wd26 on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:20 +0000

How is it the first when the MN triton has this fitted NOW.
Back to your regular programing
4wd26

Postby Ox Man on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 4:23 +0000

they can cram it. it is useless offroad.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby wat700 on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 6:13 +0000

I'd read the MN Triton already had it and that it can be turned off at driver discretion in 2WD, 4WD High Range and is automatically turned off in 4WD low range. Hopefully Toyota will do something similar.

Don't know if it's any good though. MN Triton owners?
wat700

Postby Stu-k on Sat, 16 Jan 2010 5:25 +0000

If its anything like the system fitted in my new ss commodore I dont want it.
Throw the car into a corner hard and it kicks in, braking different wheels at different times trying to straighten up the car. It feels unstable as the car slows, pitching all over the place and forget about gasing it and powering out it wont let you. Its also on by default which is annoying at times.

For inexperenced drivers or bad drivers it is probably a good thing but I dont think cheap systems can match a good drivers ability.
How bout a v6 TD instead Mr toyota?
Stu-k

Postby ultimate on Sat, 16 Jan 2010 8:25 +0000

At the moment this ESC is nothing but dramas. I just hope the AAAA (Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association) can overthrow the current laws. As it is written at the moment- The Suspension or Tyres can not be modified on a vehicle with ESC. This means no 2" Lifts, and amazingly no aftermarket tyres without engineers approval. This goes all the way to not even being able to change the brand of the tyre. A ridiculous law that highlights how difficult it is coming due to manufactures restrictions and the need for the local RTA to act on these points as safety issues. Keep in mind this would also effect insurance and legal proceedings in the event of an accident. But don't feel too bad yet. I just found out from the RTA today that the new Mitsubishi triton already falls under these restrictions and requires an engineers certificate on all these modification.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Return to Toyota News