TRD Hilux dead in the water

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

TRD Hilux dead in the water

Postby McSumWay on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 2:55 +0000

Toyota has announced the end of the TRD program in Australia

More Here

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2008/sports/toyota/hilux-trd/trd-dead-down-under-11189
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Re: TRD Hilux dead in the water

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 3:54 +0000

Warren,

Moving this to Toyota news.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 20 Dec 2008 2:50 +0000

yeah, I mentioned it yesterday arvo in the TRD diesel Hilux thread. got the email bout midday from them.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby olcoolone on Sat, 20 Dec 2008 5:09 +0000

Well what do you expect, over priced, dangerous and ugly.

They tried to tap into the hi performance ute market, at the moment $33,000 drive away for a Holden Commodore SS ute with more luxury, better handling, more power and better street cread at half the price of the Hilux.

Wrong market, wrong time and to close to a standard SR5.
olcoolone

Postby Tonym on Sat, 20 Dec 2008 5:19 +0000

Yeah I agree they tried to break into the wrong market. If they done a up rated D4D with some good brakes and suspension and a few fancy gizmos inside for a modest price increase they would have sold a few i reckon, should have aimed at the family/recreation type market.
Tonym

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 5:35 +0000

Before they were set on which version TRD Hilux to make, I was involved in a 'research group' to scan for peoples opinions within toyota on their decision.

They showed us the 3 options they had, one was what you see, one was a diesel version with even less styling (I dont think they really even wanted a diesel) and the last option was what me and the 2 other rev heads in the group swore black and blue they should have done and would have sold.

Picture this - It was a 4x2 Extra Cab TRD Hilux. Supercharged V6 Motor, all the stripe work was the same or slightly different, hardlid with sportsbar, and spoilers right aorund, a tuffer front bumper and 19" wheels to go head to head with the XR6 and the like.

It would have sold better and been that little bit cheaper.

I wrote 3 to 4 pages why to them at the time telling them why their design choice was flawed and what they could do to rectify it, with me phone number in case they wanted to discuss more. They didnt, their mind was set.

Problem with TRD is theres people there that have too much say with design and budgeting that do not have any practical knowledges of vehicles, the market or design.

Its sad.

Also, Toyota wouldnt give them a Hilux to start off with at a wholsale price, so they had to start with an expensive SR5 mule....(minus the sportsbar and wheels), and then do their work to it on top....no wonder the prices were so high.

Could have been close to 10grand cheaper if they could have got em at a wholesale value off toyota.

pity thou, I know some of the blokes in TRD, and although they a little fish in the big pond, they said themselves the hilux wouldnt sell as soon as they got the ok for it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Macca on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 5:43 +0000

Maybe those TRD wheels on Ebay are worth someting after all :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats if your into limited edition collectors editions :geek: :geek: :geek:

Shame TRD didn't at least have a yarn to you and some of their own staff, could have tested the market with your choice then extended the range as the brand got recognised.

Suprised Toyota didnt want to see the brand grow with better pricing.

Hope you dont get any grief from work with your facinating insight mmaaxx old mate :oops: :oops: :oops:

Macca
Macca

Postby olcoolone on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 7:19 +0000

What you have to understand is the Japaneses way of thinking, specially Toyota.

They have this attitude of "our product is the best....there is nothing better......we know everything and what people want".

Unless you work for a Japaneses company or have business dealing with them you would not understand there way of doing thinks and the way they think.

Look how cheap TRD Hilux's and Aurion's are now.....you would be pissed if you brought one 6 months ago.

Don't get me wrong, they build fantastic vehicles but they are very arrogant.

So whats going to happen to all the refurbished Toyota dealerships that have appeared in the last 6 months with there big TRD logo's.
olcoolone

Postby jcarter on Tue, 30 Dec 2008 1:41 +0000

i think your spot on mmaxx ,they should have tried to attack the XR6 etc, and went with a 4x2 model given there is def a market out there for a 4x2 models lowered etc, the increased power etc would have been big draw card.

The hilux 4x4 variety just didnt need TRD'ing realy, it just needed some better spec's for breaking standard and options for diff's etc, all of which should be opt'l extras for the models standard. (like us etc elec/diff front/rear) etc etc
jcarter

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 30 Dec 2008 5:39 +0000

I agree with you there on the rear diff lock as an option.

The tritons I went offroading with on the weekend many a time needed their diff lock to get up a rutted and steep embankment.

atleast the hilux didnt, but what Im trying to say is without it, I dont know how many would have been able to keep up with a hilux :lol: :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby tritonstu on Tue, 30 Dec 2008 6:53 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:I agree with you there on the rear diff lock as an option.

The tritons I went offroading with on the weekend many a time needed their diff lock to get up a rutted and steep embankment.

atleast the hilux didnt, but what Im trying to say is without it, I dont know how many would have been able to keep up with a hilux :lol: :lol:

keep in mind that only 3 of the 7 tritons were locked and it was only the locked ones that could launch out of ruts with the front wheels in the air :lol:
and the other 4 were lsd also the pathfinder was ifs/irs, no lockers.
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
tritonstu

Postby FSC on Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:20 +0000

tritonstu wrote:
keep in mind that only 3 of the 7 tritons were locked and it was only the locked ones that could launch out of ruts with the front wheels in the air :lol:
and the other 4 were lsd also the pathfinder was ifs/irs, no lockers.

Don't forget, once you have the locker, you need to use it often as when turned off it is just an open diff.....my factory difflock can be a mixed blessing at times, you thank god you have it every time you easily drive out of a huge wombat hole with 2 wheels in the air, but when you need to turn it on just to get around a 180degree switchback on a steep ball bearing gravel hillclimb you think how nice it would be if it was a limited slipper.

Brett
Brett
FSC

Return to Toyota News