Changed the head lights at last

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Changed the head lights at last

Postby H20PRF on Wed, 08 Jul 2009 8:31 +0000

Tony,

Anyone who stated Projector Head Lamps are crap , has rocks in their head. Lert me assure you, if you get the right set of Projector lamps that are full adjustable up and down and sideways, and install the HID kits, you will never ever look back

The WHITE light spread is fantastic.

As for OEM's using Projector for aerodyamic ? thats a load of crap , all OEM's that use Projectors still have the lamp in the OEM large style head !

my .02
H20PRF

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:05 +0000

I have these Angel eye lights and I have had nothing but dramas from them. I bought them more than a year ago when you could only get them through England, not Thailand. I loved the look of them but right away I had problems. The drivers halo bulb burst after 3 days and no one has any idea of how to replace or repair them. The stock bulbs when used were hopless and the fog lights from my bar provided more light.

Overall I was very disappointed but I think I got a bad batch (early) on any given day 3 halos will be out or 2 and one side with leds and the other not. Has anyone else had problems with them. I am thinking about trying them again with HID's but Im skeptical of their longevity. H20 you seem happy but commented that water got in them. Have you had any more problems?
GreenHilux Guy

Postby SR5LUX on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:41 +0000

Ive had mine in for about 6 months now and there fantastic, had no drama's at all havent put the hid's in yet but will get around to it one day :lol:
TYRES ARE LIKE TITS THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH THEM THE BIGGER YOU WANT
SR5LUX

Postby H20PRF on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 7:33 +0000

Sorry but ive never quoted water in them unless it was a Typo ??? , The brand of Projector Lamps i have are by DEPO, who make all MAJOR OEMS, Projector Lamps....... mine are HID rated, and i made 1000% sure of that as yes id been through 2 sets of a cheaper brand of rubbish , that had hardly any adjustments if any

the DEPO ones have the full Horizontal and Vertical adjustments and the OEM loom that came for it, had the HID ballast Plugs aready there, i couldnt be happier........

HID's just expand what they were designed for.............
H20PRF

Postby olcoolone on Thu, 09 Jul 2009 8:26 +0000

Whats HID rated?

Who said projector lights are crap?

Any light that is made and focused right to suit a halogen light will produce a non focused beam with HID's and vise versa.

HID's have a longer globe and light emitting point that is further away fron the reflector.

Putting a HID glode in a halogen light will make the light output wider.

HID's have a vertical burn and halogen have a horizontal burn.

You can not make a light that has optimum focus and output to suit halogen and HID.
olcoolone

Postby H20PRF on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 8:22 +0000

The Ones i have that are Made by DEPO are Rated for HID Bulbs ...........
H20PRF

Postby Tunnel Rat on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 9:16 +0000

H20PRF wrote:The Ones i have that are Made by DEPO are Rated for HID Bulbs ...........

Hey H2o can you tell me if the Depo have a nice cut off line with the hid set up?
So what I mean is. If you were say 10-15ft from a wall does the light beam have a nice straight cut off edge alone the top of the beam in low beam?
I have been looking at the depo for some time now just hate the standard crap.
Like this nice cut off (I wish the hilux lights were like this).

thx
Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby H20PRF on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 3:56 +0000

Hey Tunnel,

yes mate the spread and cut off line is straight and perfect on the DEPO ones, theres a guy in melbourne that imports them i will find the name and post later on........

The DEPO are the only manufacturer that make the Projecters with vertical and horizontal adjustments,

I used a concrete wall and a flat surface 25ft back to adjust them correctly i've never been flashed once.....

Im pretty happy with them i paid 495 for the pair and then the 500+ for the HID kit thats flawless, i did try the narva upgrade globes but wasnt happy at all , i will try and take a pic for you at night so you can see what they all look like later on.

Cheers

H20
Last edited by H20PRF on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 6:08 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
H20PRF

Postby Homer on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 5:12 +0000

I have replaced bulbs with Osram +90 and while it may not be true 90% increase in brightness it is a massive improvements over the original.
Cheers
Homer

Postby Ox Man on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 6:01 +0000

olcoolone,
I am current running a HID kit in Standard lense assy, looks good & does what it is meant to. From reading this thread, i gather I can upgrade them to get more out of the lense assy with a projector? :?
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby H20PRF on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 7:03 +0000

Here are some pics of the lights at night, sorry there not as good as i would have hoped and i took them 5 feet from the roller garage door.

But i can assure you that the spread is a perfect cut off 25-30 feet in front of the vehicle.

Cheers

H20PRF

H20PRF

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 8:04 +0000

H20PRF, lights look good and i mentioned before I had the halos but the kit with the led's. I am thinking about getting another pair but black instead with the led's again from depo but I wonder if that one also has the up and down adjustment. Could you put the ebay link or seller on here so I can contact them?

Thanks
GreenHilux Guy

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 4:30 +0000

That cut off looks perfect thanks that's what I was after :D Depo here I come. One thing in that last shot it looks like the depo lights have a halo Do they ?
thx
Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby H20PRF on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 4:56 +0000

Rat.

yes mate they only come with Halo's some of the other cheaper types come with the AUDI running leds which i didnt want.

Heres the LINK, these are the DEPO ones

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Hilux-4WD ... .m14.l1262

Cheers
H20PRF

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 5:27 +0000

H20PRF wrote:Rat.

yes mate they only come with Halo's some of the other cheaper types come with the AUDI running leds which i didnt want.

Cheers

I do not like the bling look with the Audi leds at all. In fact i was hoping that the Depo did not have the halos but I suppose I could live with the halos.

thanks
Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby H20PRF on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 5:51 +0000

Rat,

The Halos work with the park lights obviously, but i find they give good light at the front, but in saying that you can always ditch the wire for them that feeds into the park light wires, i hard soldered mine in, but you dont have too if you dont want halos

H20
H20PRF

Postby spyroeast on Sun, 16 Aug 2009 9:03 +0000

For those who dont want tot change to projectors but want a brighter and whiter lights.....can try installing Philips X-Treme Power H4 Bulbs. They are rated the best in the market for direct halogen bulbs replacements. A lot of reviews on the new can be found and they are said to be quite white in colour with a little bit of yellow. If you want great deals.....try Powerbulbs......they are quite cheap in prices and do free worldwide delivery. But find the X-treme Power reviews and make your decision......
spyroeast

Postby spyroeast on Sun, 16 Aug 2009 9:06 +0000

Also if you guys want a brighter look for your rear lamps.....dont need to change to the whole casing....just buy LED bulbs to change........i can assure you that they are very very bright !!
spyroeast

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 16 Aug 2009 9:16 +0000

Hmmm..... Jason seems to be active again here.

Have you seen the light and decided that this is THE forum for Hilux?

I'll give you your V12 status here if you want!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Tonym on Mon, 17 Aug 2009 5:33 +0000

Havn't the ones in the photos at the start of this thread got a row of 6 leds at the bottom? I am a bit confused.

Tunnel Rat wrote:
H20PRF wrote:Rat.

Cheers

I do not like the bling look with the Audi leds at all. In fact i was hoping that the Depo did not have the halos but I suppose I could live with the halos.

thanks
Rat
Tonym

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion