Hilux Max build thread

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

just an update on my new HILUX - finally got it!

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:20 +0000

You wish!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

My Hilux cannot go through the "accelerated improvement programme" as I don't have the extra funds to get into the programme! ha...ha....

But seriously speaking, Australian accessories are great but very pricey due to the exchange rate. In our local currency, the ARB winch bar costs about RM4k!

Good luck with your lotto numbers!
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 5:45 +0000

G'day all,

Just thought I'd post a pic of a minor update to the hilux. Heres a pic-

Bought the 240 Blitz's off me mate a couple of weeks ago and made me own brackets to fit them slightly back from the front of the bar (as they would have sat just foward if used stock holes) and slightly together so it looks more central between the two front posts of the bar.

Also got me windows tinted a couple of weeks back with 20% tint all around.

Have just sold those polished bling rims I had for sale that I had on the hilux at the start and will use the money to get some checkerplate covered sliders from ATS-4x4 in Geelong.....thou I have already spoken with them and it wont be a problem to get the entire set powder coated black, including the checkerplate. As they come standard with a grey hammertone finish normally.

Have a set of 1 inch raised rear blocks and u-bolts yet to fit waiting for me in the garage, but am trying to organise a 2" extended brake line in the rear as it is maxing out when flexing offroad and got to fix this before lifted the rear that little bit more.

Why? Because I can. Also, I just want that slight bit more "arse-up" on the hilux.

Was seriously considering the Steinbauer kit after talking to the blokes at the 4x4 show here in melbourne last friday, but I think the sill needs protecting more than the performance increase at the moment.

Then again if I keep spending on the hilux, I may need some protecting from the handbrake too at some stage....LOL 8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jcarter on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 6:58 +0000

what rims are they ? black sunraz?
jcarter

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 7:24 +0000

As usual, outstanding work on your Hilux which as you know is under the HAIP (Hilux accelerated improvement programme)!8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I would run Lightforce 170's as the 240 seems huge........

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 7:43 +0000

brendon....you make me laugh 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

jcarter, yeah black sunraysias (dynamic wheels) in 16x8.

8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:14 +0000

Very few candidates make it through HAIP!

Same analogy as police SWAT schools!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 6:32 +0000

Ok fella's, back again with some more minor mods to my vehicle.

After work tonight, I threw my "Bronze Bitch" on the hoist and got cracking.

Heres a pic of what I put on-

The extended rear flexible brake line needed replacing as previously mentioned the factory one was 'dangerously' overstretched at full flex. I got it through Snake Racing and it costs me $90 including postage.

Let me just say that I was incredibly impressed with their service, they knew straight away what I was after (even the woman on the phone the first time I inquired
:eek: ) and I ordered it lunchtime tuesday and it was here from Sydney Wednesday lunchtime via express post with a free sticker and stubby holder.....mate, thats service!

Also, bout 2 weeks back I oredered from 4WD1.com a set of 1 inch rear lift blocks (which is another reason why I needed the extended brake line), which cost me $150 from memory posted. Funny that price thou, because the blocks are a Snake Racing item with their name stamped on the side but on their website, they sell them for round $220-

I spray painted them black before installing as the bright blue that it was would have stood out too much.

There was a little bit of fiddling around to get the location bolt and holes all lined up but its what I wanted, I felt like the hilux needed that little bit of extra lift in the rear and Im happy how it is now.

Heres a pic of the install-

If ya gonna do the brake line just make sure that you bleed the brakes properly afterwards to get all the air out, ad if fitting the lift blocks, ensure the Load Sensing Proprtioning Valve is adjusted correctly and accordingly. Mines is at the end of the adjustment how it sits now with just over 3" of lift in the rear.

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 6:37 +0000

Also, just to keep in mind, that going by the Workshop manual for the new hilux, if you do have a higher lift or a need for stronger braking in the rear (say if your carrying heaps of constant load) and need more adjustment from the LSPV, the valve body itself that is bolted to the inside of the chassis rail, the bolts can be lossened and the valve body can be dropped a little. Im not sure how much, but this is what the manual states, so I thought I'd post it here from interested people to keep in mind.

What next? I dont know.....hopefully my sliders in about 2 or 3 weeks all going well. Got a offroad trip to Mt Cole, somewhere near Bendigo on election day, and a 3 day Vic High Country Trip 2nd or 3rd week of Jan.

Might try and squeeze an exhaust system in there somewhere if works keeps busy or even a 15-18mm fron coil spacer to give that nose a little bit more lift.....thou the boot rubber worry me slightly if I go much higher..........oh well, just another reason to get High angle, heavy duty boots.......YEE HAA 8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Doug67 on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 6:56 +0000

And when are the boots available?
Doug67

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 7:53 +0000

I'll have a chat with me suspension bloke about this weekend. I spoke to him today but forgot to ask him. I think they may have already made atleast one set because that 5" lifted black SR% he runs, was off the road and the boots removed to send out to get measured up as a template, and last weekend I saw it driving round my neck of the woods, so Im guessing that they may have been done. will get back to ya Douggie on that one.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:20 +0000

As usual, great work mate.

I'll know who to ask when I hop onto the HAIP programme by virtue of striking lotto!

Cheers
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 11 Nov 2007 5:37 +0000

You dont need lotto, just find a nice and popular street corner paint yor toe nails and make sure you shave your legs before you begin waving them around. Thats what got me this far, thou if I want the lockers or the crawler box, I might have to lower myself to the level of actually waxing my buttocks aswell!

LOL....ha ha ha just do it 9W6VX, you know you want too. By the way, why the difficult nickname? couldnt you choose something easier?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 11 Nov 2007 8:01 +0000

mmaxx,

Yeah, I'll probably do that mate! Sell my ass! ha..ha...

The 9W6VX is actually my ham radio call sign. Well, you could dump that and just call me by my name or Gate Keeper as what Doug called me! LOL!

Cheers and happy weekend.

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 9:04 +0000

Hey guys, been a while since I updated my personal buildup thread, so I though I'd add a little something to it.

I originally ordered a set of ATS side steps/sliders in black, even the checkerplate and the steps were to be tapped and fitted with fittings that enable them to be use as an air-tank of sorts if I wanted to use them for that later on.

Well, over 5 weeks later, ATS couldnt give me any indication on when they would be ready, were trying for 2 weeks atleast on contacting their bloke that makes the sliders for them and couldnt get in touch with him at all.

So in frustration I called Western 4x4 on Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing and order a set of ARB side steps with brush bars in black to match the ARB Winchbar that I already have fitted.

I reckon it'll complement it well.

I pick it up tomorrow morning and hopefully fit it this weekend.

Also, booked in for next week friday is at me mates workshop to get a 1 inch spacer fitted on top of the 3" foam cell struts that I already have fitted to the beast.

Have lost I reckon 15-18mm height with the fitment of the ARB bar, I dont know if the sidesteps or rails will lower it any more, but I worked out roughly that with this spacer fitted, the front will be bout 15mm higher than it originally was before I had the bar fitted (gp back to first page for pics with the chrome wheels). That'd work well as the rear is also an inch higher now with the snake racing lift blocks.

Below is a pic I took alongside another new hilux at a trip last weekend to Mt.Cole State Park, bout 30km east of Ballarat. wasted alot of time looking for some decent tracks but at the end of the day found 2 oarsome tracks that werent on the map. very tight track that went for botu 30-40 minutes of driving, full of boulders to the sides, short and steep rises and drops bloody terrific, thou I did destroy my factory sidesteps, partly the reason why I bought the new ARB ones now.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 9:05 +0000

anyway, will post pics of the completed barwork and raised front at the end of next week when its all done.

cant wait 8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:31 +0000

mmaaxx,

As usual, compliments to the HAIP supersonic pilot!

Keep us posted mate.

As you might have noticed, I have also embarked on my own HAIP but I reckon I would only qualify as a trainee cadet pilot.

Cheers

Brendon8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby krusty1 on Fri, 30 Nov 2007 1:57 +0000

lookn fwd to the new pics mate.keep em comming.cheers glenn8-)
krusty1

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 4:04 +0000

Allright guys,

here she is in all her glory. Fitted the ARB side steps and brush bars last night and detailed the 'bronze bitch' thoroughly after work today for your (and mine) viewing pleasure -

Cant wait to raise the front later on this week to better suit the back.

8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Glenn k on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 8:13 +0000

thats looking really tuff mate, what a transformation this hilux has made from a couple of months ago...congrats on your rig...Glenn

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 8:40 +0000

thanks mate, yeah it is slightly different from stock. Might get a pic of it next to a stocky side by side just to show the difference.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups