New web site update

Re: New web site update

Postby cr1pp5 on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:59 +0000

This is one for Dave or any of the other mods i guess, but in the for sale sections, can we post a sticky across all 3 sections with a template. I find it very frustrating that some people dont put enough info in their ad's.

Cheers
John

ITEM:
<insert text here>

CONDITION:
<insert text here>

REASON FOR SELLING:

<insert text here>

PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
<This is not eBay - put a price on the item>

EXTRA INFO:
<insert text here>

<insert text here>

PICTURES:
<insert text here>
R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby D4D Hilux on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 1:37 +0000

ditto
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby dute on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 3:13 +0000

cr1pp5 wrote:This is one for Dave or any of the other mods i guess, but in the for sale sections, can we post a sticky across all 3 sections with a template. I find it very frustrating that some people dont put enough info in their ad's.

Cheers
John

ITEM:
<insert text here>

CONDITION:
<insert text here>

PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
<This is not eBay - put a price on the item>

EXTRA INFO:
<insert text here>

<insert text here>

PICTURES:
<insert text here>

I'm with Johnny on this one . . . . . :o
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 5:10 +0000

Thanks for bring that to our attention.
Will do that tonight.. Will be interesting to see if it auto deletes after 30 days from last post though.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby camwill69 on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 5:18 +0000

Yeh shits me too, people who want an auction as no price, or no location. The demographic of this site is huge and i think that if you can't put a location (ie/ country/ state as a minimum) in your shed you should look else ware for sales/posting.
my2cw
Regards,
Cam
camwill69

Postby johnny5x on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 7:10 +0000

my 2 cents.... site is great well done dave. however, it does my head in when i click on some links within the forum, they open in the same window/tab. making all links open in a new window or tab would be sweet (im too lazy to right click on a link and open in new)
johnny5x

Postby D4D Hilux on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 7:14 +0000

thats why i use firefox, just click the centre scroll roller and it opens in a new tab
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 7:44 +0000

efini7 wrote:my 2 cents.... site is great well done dave. however, it does my head in when i click on some links within the forum, they open in the same window/tab. making all links open in a new window or tab would be sweet (im too lazy to right click on a link and open in new)

I always click on the right mouse button for any link I see on here. Just guess Im used to it..
I run IE as the test dummy and have grown to sort of like it.. I have Firefox as well and use it occasionally to see what the differences are..
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Dave on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:16 +0000

cr1pp5 wrote:This is one for Dave or any of the other mods i guess, but in the for sale sections, can we post a sticky across all 3 sections with a template. I find it very frustrating that some people dont put enough info in their ad's.

Cheers
John

John, we already have guidelines in place for this, but don't really police it at the moment, so I guess this is something we'll try and sort out in future.

The guidelines are in the forsale sections already, titled "For Sale Guidelines, Read here before posting" which is indeed a sticky in all three classifieds categories.

Cheers, Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:17 +0000

efini7 wrote:my 2 cents.... site is great well done dave. however, it does my head in when i click on some links within the forum, they open in the same window/tab. making all links open in a new window or tab would be sweet (im too lazy to right click on a link and open in new)

Thanks... Can you please give me a list of which links you are referring too? and I will assess the need for making them open up in a new window. Cheers, Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby johnny5x on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 4:01 +0000

Dave wrote:

Thanks... Can you please give me a list of which links you are referring too? and I will assess the need for making them open up in a new window. Cheers, Dave

Mainly links within the "ebay finds" thread. It opens up the item in the same page and then i get sidetracked and look for more things in ebay :lol:
johnny5x

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 8:35 +0000

Dave is spot on. The rules are there but we have not enforced it strictly.

If you guys like the for sale section to be posted with all the required info, then the moderator team will then require all new posts in the said section to comply.

I'll discuss this with Mark & Dave.

Thanks for the input guys.

:cry: :cry: More work for the moderators........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Shaker on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 4:21 +0000

One thing I've needed a few times is in member search, you can't type any search box the member your searching for. Rather you have to go through the alphabetical order and look in there. Have you tried to do this? I usually give up. Only way to find them quickly is to find one of their posts and get through that way.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 9:53 +0000

Shaker brings up a very good point, sometimes i see something I like and later on after thinking about it I want to find the member to look into it more, can spend forever searching or like shaker said, find something they may have posted somewhere to find them.

Something else Ive wondered is after reading a thread sometimes I like to keep an eye on it for any further updates/ ideas or opinions, is there any way of watching a thread? Without having to search for it each time? There is a link to threads that we have posted on but I dont always have something of value to say, I just like to see the progess or refer back to it. Wondering is there anyway I can watch, kinda like on ebay how you can press watch and have it come up on a watch list. At the moment I save the link to my favourites but I am not always on the same computer to retrieve it. Now I have no idea what would involved in doing this, just a suggestion.

Mitch
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby Shaker on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 1:24 +0000

I agree with amitch888. We need member search function, thread subscriptions and polls.

When this is done, I'll find something else we need like custom skins :lol: I'm not sure if it's the resolution of the PC I'm sitting on, but the subscriptions button and banner always misaligned with the top of the home page when I change the page size by holding ctrl and scrolling. On my wide screen PC, the resolution I have makes the subscription button drop down under and between the home page and new post buttons.
Shaker

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 8:37 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Shaker brings up a very good point, sometimes i see something I like and later on after thinking about it I want to find the member to look into it more, can spend forever searching or like shaker said, find something they may have posted somewhere to find them.

Something else Ive wondered is after reading a thread sometimes I like to keep an eye on it for any further updates/ ideas or opinions, is there any way of watching a thread? Without having to search for it each time? There is a link to threads that we have posted on but I dont always have something of value to say, I just like to see the progess or refer back to it. Wondering is there anyway I can watch, kinda like on ebay how you can press watch and have it come up on a watch list. At the moment I save the link to my favourites but I am not always on the same computer to retrieve it. Now I have no idea what would involved in doing this, just a suggestion.

Mitch

Mitch.
Correct me if I am wrong but you can subscribe to a thread. Which should notify you of any new posts. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a subscribe to topic icon that should notify you of of any new post to the thread which should go through to you via PM??? it the first time i have subscribed to a thread so I will let you know if it works if you reply on the thread.
Shaker.
There is a provision there in the search function.
Just type the username into the search function as a wildcard author ie Skog07.
All 1899 should be there.. wait a sec.. 1900 now after this one... or perhaps less as the search function will crop all the moderator posts that are in the admin section.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&author=Skog07
Here is yours.
Shaker.
search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Shaker&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby Shaker on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 10:24 +0000

Yes I knew how to find a member that way, but I was more refering to members board, where you must select 'S' for Shaker memberlist.php?first_char=r&first_char=s#memberlist, then click on a random number and hope you get close to the name your searching for in alphabetical order. There is not quick find search function on these pages. With an abundant amount of members, this is too time consuming and practically makes these pages redundant.

The same applies to browsing sheds http://www.newhilux.net/index.php?show=all, again there is no search function to find a particular member or vehicle model there either. Currently the only way to find them is the alternative approach as you mentioned and find their postings using search and go through that way. Browsing sheds is only good for browsing sheds - one page after another. As the forum grows, these pages do too.

Not whinging or anything, just thought I'd point that out and is something that could be considered as a quick and easy function for members way into the future and to whom ever does forum coding here and I'm sure it can be applied to the other forums as well providing their using all the same coding and similar page setups. Up to you guys.

The CTRL mouse wheel forward/back (zoom in/out) as you can see changes the alignment of the banners and buttons. I use Firefox web browser, but I think it's more to do with zooming in and out away from set standard forum resolutions and HTML code not being able to follow what I'm over riding at home by zooming. Probably nothing anyone can do about that. Have a look for yourself...

As for the subscribe to topic, yes found it hiding way down the bottom of the forum page. I hadn't used forums on a regular basis for about four years till this one and forgot things like that are usually tucked away. I subscribed to this topic so see how it goes.

Thanks Mark.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby Naisie on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 4:45 +0000

Hi Shaker,

I have had a look at the member search function and it works for the sheds too.

If you search for a member and assuming you are not sure of their whole name then you type their partial name followed by an asterix (*) as it mentions at the top of the member search page. For example if I wanted to search for you I type Sha*.

This then brings your name up. I click on your name and then on your profile I can click on "View my shed profile"

I find this a much easier way to find shed profiles.

Hope this helps... :D
:D ~ Renee ~ :D

BITUMEN - Another waste of taxpayers dollars!
Naisie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 6:50 +0000

It would also bring up Shagger... Just in case that is relivant... :roll:
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dave on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 6:56 +0000

Shaker, the member list option is apart of phpBB, the forum software. I do know you can modify the code for this to enhance it but there hasn't really been a need for it, your the only one who has asked about it! and there is always alternative ways to do this, as Naisie has already pointed out :)

As for the search capabilities in the shed area, this is coming, it isn't too far off - just requires a bit more time as I have been continuously trying to improve certain other parts of it over time... getting there though!
Dave
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements & News