Stub axle support brackets

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Stub axle support brackets

Postby 10K on Mon, 22 Sep 2008 5:21 +0000

Just a quick note on a new bit of kit I have put on my Hilux...

After bending 2 left stub axles I have had this support bracket on for about 3 months now and have't had any further issues with bent stub axles.
It fits around the original stub axle and provides much greater rigidity, especially from sidways forces.
They are from The Ultimate Suspension, where I had my suspension done.

Very worthwhile for anyone with wide tyres, or small offsets of their rims, as the extra load these set ups put on your stub axle means they can bend very easy.

Cheers
Matt

Re: Stub axle support brackets

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:10 +0000

They look good 10K, look strong. what did they set you back?

Id be keen for a set, anything to make it stringer, touch wood I havent had any issues yet but if I go a wider tyre next time round it would surely help.

By extra sideways strength, your talking about from the front of the vehicle towards the back arent you, because the stub axle is mounted side on? just wnated to clarify that. Looking at the pics, that bracket also kind of protects the driveshaft boots a little, say if a stick was coming that way, it'd hit the bracket and deflect before possibly punturing the outer boot.

they shouldnt be too hard to fit ey?

any chance of chasing up someone to make up some lower control arm skid plates aswell? that'd make the front end heaps more protected.

Thanks for the heads up.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 10K on Tue, 23 Sep 2008 1:34 +0000

To be honest MMAAXX, not sure on price.
Had them done the last time I did the stub axle etc... so I got a total price.
Give Ultimate a call to find out 02 9603 7677

In term of the sideays stength, yes as you described.
And not sure on fitting ease... I didn't do it!

As for the skid plates for the lower control arms... didn't we find some before from Total Chaos in the US??

Found these cool/bling looking upper control arms for FJ's/Tacoma's etc... very nice!
http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/productdetails.jsp?pointer=1748&subcatpointer=8&make=TOY&model=FJ&year=2007&drive=4WD

Cheers
Matt

Postby jamiecracker on Tue, 23 Sep 2008 4:31 +0000

oooo i like those upper control arms
jamiecracker

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 23 Sep 2008 5:07 +0000

10K wrote:
As for the skid plates for the lower control arms... didn't we find some before from Total Chaos in the US??

Cheers
Matt

Yeah, I did contact them but they were slightly different, something to do with the position of the holes in the LCA.

Those UCA's look great but Im not ready to sell my backside to pay for them yet....... :lol:

might give Ultimate a call to find out, bout that bracket.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 10K on Tue, 23 Sep 2008 8:26 +0000

Talk to Ken at Ultimate.
Tell him Matt sent you... He'll charge you double!!
Just kidding, Ken is a good man... he will look after you.

Also, at $1200 Us thos UCA's aren't so bad considering that they are billet and look pretty trick... but I could think of better ways to spend the money!
I wonder if they would work with the Chaos kit through Wizard?

Cheers
Matt

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 8:30 +0000

10K,,

just called Ken to inquire about those stub axle brackets.....he said they only suit the 4 inch kit that they sell and wouldnt work on a 3 inch Coil Over strut lift. BUGGER!

he also said that if people with big lifts and tyres would stop driving up gutters too hard then they stub axles wouldnt be bending and these brackets wouldnt be needed.........made me laugh him saying that :lol:

First thing I thought of was, I wonder how many gutters 10K has been driving up......LOL....LOL.....

are you chasing the local cats off the streets or sumtin? :lol: :D ;)

I couldnt help myself.

Oh well. I did see thou that in the states they have after market stub axles that have these big and strong suports welded onto them all the way down. dont know if they'd work here thou.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jamiecracker on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:50 +0000

i think iam going to have to buy something like these UCA thingies i hardly get any down travel at all... the stock arms hit on the springs :shock:
jamiecracker

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:50 +0000

HUGE NEWS fellas, check this out:

http://chaosfab.com/86002.html

this is the chaosfab brand new kit for 11 inches of travel without the need for extended flares and wheel spacers which put me off the last long arm kit which I was going to source through Wizard.

I have also included the link for the chaos lower arms protection brackets for you guys.

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

Talk to Brent about the skid plates and Im sure he can get them for you. After seeing this new kit I think my problems are solved. Room for 33's and beyond with huge amounts of travel and cant find a smoother riding kit. The FJ and prado are built on the same architecture so I dont think there would be too many fitting dramas.

What do you think?
GreenHilux Guy

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 1:05 +0000

that kit looks good, thou it'd cost you an arm and a leg. the UCA and LCA's are both extended, thus allowing for the increase height and travel.....im thinking you may need to run a more positive wheel to keep it tucked within your guards as this new suspension kit would space it all abit out.

like it? yeah.

would I pay for it? not if it was more than 2,500-2,700 bux. but thats just me.

in regards to the UCA's hitting the spring on down travel, it is possible to make up a spacer that sits between the bottom of the UCA and the top of the Stub axle, spacing the UCA that little bit up.

who do I contact about the LCA sliders?

brent? from where? is he the bloke from wizard? number please?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Lately Lux on Wed, 08 Oct 2008 6:51 +0000

GreenHiluxGuy, i spoke to Brent the other day. He has the UCA's in stock now but is still waiting on a shipment so he sin't sure exactly what he has yet.

I'm looking at the Total Chaos kit with just the UCA, and spoke to him last time about a custom LCA skid plate as I bent the front LCA mount on te right hand side last trip out to Ormeau.

Brett
Lately Lux

Return to Drive Train Components