New Diff Lock's coming out.

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:07 +0000

G'day guys,

Just thought I'd share with you my latest endeavours in finding out new accessories for our beloved hilux's.

I sent an email to Ironman suspension inquiring if they had any feedback about their difflocks that they have in developement for the hilux. they said that the development had been put on the backburner for abit but if I wanted more info to email Eaton Engineering and supplied a contact name and email address.

so I emailed them the same inquiry and this is what they said-
"Max,

Thankyou for your enquiry.

We are in the final stages of initial production and Eaton USA product approval.

Our initial range will be the “early” Hilux front and rear including 80/100 series Landcruiser, followed by Nissan Patrol and then the current Hilux front and rear.

We expect to have the current Hilux units available around September.

I will keep your details on file and contact you when we are almost ready for this model launch.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me for assistance.

Regards "

So I asked him if he could tell me what sort of actuation it would be, and he replied -
"Max,

No problems at all.

The actuation is via en electromagnet which engages the locking mechanism.

More general information can be found here (http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm) which shows the current 2 pinion design.

All our local model applications will be the latest model 4 pinion design for ultimate strength and reliability.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me for assistance.

Regards "

And put me on a interested customer list for when they are released.

Goin by the website he supplied, it looks like the locker that is optioned on the Taco's and FJ's in the states - could be wrong.

it would work by the push of a button, giving 100% torque and locking to both wheels.

Should be cheaper in that you wouldnt need a compressor?

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:10 +0000

This is what the Eaton site says -

"The ELocker’s electromagnetic locking mechanism is the next generation of aftermarket differential technology. Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction. Eaton ELocker is your push button solution to almost any traction problem.

Designed expressly for 4-wheel drive systems to give you the ability to lock or unlock the differentials when necessary. When locked the Eaton ELocker performs as a full locker, capturing 100% of available torque and sending it equally to both ends of the axle.

The ELocker is built with precision-forged gears that are designed to mesh perfectly, providing improved strength and durability over a standard cut gear. Its ease of installation, reliability and push-button activation make ELocker an absolute must for all traction and off-road performance applications."

So what do you guys think?

The E-locker seems to be working ok in the states?

Yeah, it aint no ARB airlocker, but could it be a viable and cheaper alternative?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:20 +0000

Max,

Interesting................

Hope it'll be much cheaper than ARB's air locker.

I wouldn't mind getting a rear diff lock if the price is reasonable.

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:35 +0000

Same... for the amount of time i'd use one this would seemingly fit the bill...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jcarter on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:37 +0000

if they came in somewhere between the Detriot lockers and the ARB lockers it will do pretty well i think.

the Detroit style ones are what $370?

if the E-Locker was $500~ well, 2 thanks.

someone has done a pretty good write up on DIY install on a ford.
http://www.madois.com/html/tech/elocker.html

seems the E-locker price is around $650+ USD depending.

> $700 au.??
jcarter

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:42 +0000

A detroit is almost if not the same as an ARB locker....I priced one up a while back.

Jcarter, the ones your thinking off are the Lockrites and EZ-Lockers that fit older trucks for around the 400buck mark.

I think this one would be around the thousand dollar mark, fitted.

A while back I was talking with some guys on the Yank forums about this e-locker and they said theres a positive in that if by chance you cut or tear the wiring somehow whilst offroad, the locker itself "locks up" and stays locked so you can get out of where you are and Im pretty sure theres a manual over-ride somewhere near the locker to disengage it, but dont quote me on that.

With the ARB, you need constant air pressure to keep it locked. If you bust or damage an air-line, then your aint got no locker!

just something to consider.

Quinny, your quote suits me 100% aswell. ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Macca on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:53 +0000

Been thinking about a locker for a while, might wait to see what these are like.
Sometimes the local market leader dines out on their position (IMHO) and leave me a bit "cold'.
Prices here may adjust if good competition enters the market.
Can buy a Aussie air lock on EBay for AU$900.00 in the US, why do we pay so much?
Macca
Macca

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:55 +0000

good point macca. ARB must make a pretty good mark up on us aussies, huh?

JT Differentials on the US Ebay store has em for sale for our hilux's just under 900 bux I think.....what a rort!

lets see if competition makes em adjust their prices.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 29 May 2008 11:01 +0000

to give you an idea on prices of this locker, heres a link I just found in the states -

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/E-Locker.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=5475

selling the e-locker for between $893.99 - $989.99, not including installation, so you may, I think be lucky enough to possibly get one installed here for the price of an ARB locker by itself, uninstalled.

just a guess, may be different when they come out.

Hope they have a Melbourne 4x4 show introductory special offer or sumtin?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 10K on Thu, 29 May 2008 2:17 +0000

Good find MMAAXX.... as Quinny said for the amount of times I would use it, there is good value there.

ARB prices... well it all comes down to market size I guess.

Not sure how many Tacoma's, 4Runners and FJ's are sold over there, but with 260 million people (i think) I guess their market is a lot bigger than ours, and as such they can sell them a lot cheaper because they sell a lot more units. Also considering how many F Series, GM, Jeeps and Dodges are sold... which ARB makes stuff for, the market is massive for ARB. HUGE!!

Also the $AUD has only recently come to near parity with the $USD, so a lot of this stock may have been bought when we were at 70-80c mark.

I'd say that the prices of ARB products in the US will go up as new stock arrives.

If anyone is interested in buying some stuff from the US I'd do it sooner rather than later.

Cheers
Matt

Postby rodw on Thu, 29 May 2008 7:37 +0000

Interesting find Mmaax. Particularly given that the ARB ones are prone to spit oil out according to quite a few threads on this forum and was happening on Hiluxury's rig I saw a while ago.

I hate oil leaks! would be pretty pissed to buy one for $1,500 odd from ARB.

Rod
rodw

Postby 4Hilux on Thu, 29 May 2008 7:44 +0000

Theres also Chinese air-lockers coming out for Hilux / Landcruiser models soon. Don't know what 'brand' though.........
4Hilux

Postby jamiecracker on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:21 +0000

alot of comapnies seem to rip us off
probably cause they have the market cornered
anyway it looks like a good option
eaton always make good stuff
jamiecracker

Postby SR53OL on Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:27 +0000

Rod, an interested in reading more about these oil leaks form the ARB locker. I am getting some fitted on the 18th June and would like to know more. I did a search but came up empty. Can you stear me in the correct direction. I'd hate to pay the bucks if they are not the way to go. Thanks Peter
SR53OL

Postby rodw on Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:36 +0000

Took a bit of digging up:
[URL]http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1411[/URL]

There is more about this on other threads.

Might be a year or two before I put lockers on board, but definitely on the wish list. So if the Magnetic ones are around, might give them a go!

Rod

Rod.
rodw

Postby rodw on Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:44 +0000

Raed it again, Hilux Dan's link in the thread above is the one that is the must read on the oil leak problem.

[URL]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49382[/URL]

Rod
rodw

Return to Drive Train Components