Fitting a Marks 4WD Adaptors

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 7:33 +0000

MMAAXX you out there ?
I am fitting one of these units and have talked to max before on this but if anybody else can help as well that would be good.
I like the idea max had on fitting it up behind the speedo but now for my problem.
I have found the wires at the gearbox but when I pulled the speedo out there seem to be more then one wire of the same colour.
I have at the gearbox end
B+ =Red with Black trace
B- =Brown
Pulse =Pink with blue trace
On the plug that plugs into the speedo it has 3x Red with Black trace and 2x Pink with blue trace.How could I work out which wire is what ?
Stick a ###? on one end and see if ###? happens.

thx for any help

Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:59 +0000

Mate, Its been a while since I did it but from memory there was only one....unless I didnt see another which is a different story. If you get a multimeter, check the continuity with the wire on the pickup at the gearbox end, the pink with brown trace I think it was from memory, and the one behind the cluster. You may need to add some wire to lengthen the "probes" but this would guarantee you which wire it was as it would beep when you have continuity with the crrect wire.

maybe I was just lucky with the first pink and brown trace wire I saw.

Otherwise, use scotch locks, and if you got the wrong wire you can easily take it off , reinsulate where it was and the try the next one.

Just trying to cover all bases for ya.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Tunnel Rat on Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:35 +0000

Thanks max I borrowed a multimeter and it was a breeze.
To my shock the wires where not the same colour :(
The B+ wire was Red with black trace at the box but Black with a brown trace at the speedo (there was 4x red with black trace but they were not B+ from the VSS).
The Pulse was the same at both ends pink with blue trace just had 2x at the speedo.
Just checked them all with the meter and it was a piece of cake from there on in.

The good news is my speedo is now spot on with the GPS (a friends unit still waiting for mine) it was out by 3% not much but it was 3% out the wrong way very happy now it's spot on.

Thx
Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:59 +0000

Looks like you are a happy camper now!

I noticed that many if not most of the members here are pretty mechanical and do their own modifications.

I am definitely NOT in the same league. ha..ha..

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:38 +0000

Tunnel Rat, good to hear it all worked out. Now you wont be getting speeding fines accidently and you can get a decent measure of fuel economy.

Brendan, in regards to not being able to do your own mods, mate,. theres always time, just try and if you get stuck ask for help.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Return to Electrical