Grunter's SR5 - Canning prep - build stage 3

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Grunter's SR5 - Canning prep - build stage 3

Postby gruntre69 on Wed, 05 May 2010 8:56 +0000

Well I think I'm going to end up spending a fair bit of my hard earned on this Hilux so I've decided to document it for 2 reasons. 1: because this is a handy place to keep track of it. And 2: and more important, I'm really glad I discovered this forum and the wealth of info on here before I started. I'll be glad to share any little discoveries I make along the way to save some of you blokes some time.

I fitted my new ARB deluxe bar and Tigerz11 winch a couple of weekends ago and I thought I'd get some pics up now to show how I fitted the control Box.

Everything I needed was in the winch and bar kits, right down to the relay harness for the indicators which weren't needed because my Ute has the extra relay harness for the factory tow bar already. I'll find a use for those relays later I'm sure.

ARB also supplies 3 x 800mm battery cables which weren't required because the winch also comes with cables. These will come in handy for my second battery install coming soon.

I managed to get it inside the bar out of the weather, although it was very tight with one of the captive nuts that pre-locates the bar for flexible adjustment prior to drilling and fitting the main bar mounting bolts to the crush can frame(edit) The bolt that goes here also needed to have about 10mm cut off it so it didn't protrude through the captive nut into the control box.
Mounting the control box this way also sacrifices one of the holes for fixing the polyurethane bump pads. This can easily be drilled out from the underside to clear the cap screws and stuck down with a dob of silicone. I used the cap screws supplied with the winch to screw on the control box and I had to carefully mark and drill the 4 holes in the top of the freshly painted bar. I just drilled the holes 8mm for the 6mm screws to allow for slight errors in the drill pattern. I was too lazy to make a cardboard drilling template but it worked out sweet just measuring with a rule and square. (Recommend the template).

Winch mounted

Control box (just enough space for crush can captive nut)
Top view

I ran the small Earth for the control pack back to my cab and earthed it via a switch on the right below the steering wheel. I didn't really like the idea of leaving it all powered up because the weather proofing on the solenoid box doesn't look that great to me, even though I installed it inside the bar.

It’s not quite finished yet because I want to add a stud or something in the recess for the fairlead to hook the eye of the end of the winch rope to, which will keep it up out of the way and stop it from scratching up that polished hawser and eventually damaging the rope. I will leave the hook off and will use it if I need to during a recovery, I’ll probably just use D shackles anyway.

Next will be a cover for the top of the bar where all the holes are for the ARB/Warn control mount and the drum inspection slot. My skydiving background gives me knowledge on Nylon fibres and Sunlight and UV exposure severely degrades nylon and spectra fibres(correction - Spectra is way more UV resistant than Nylon). I will make up a quickly removable cover plate for these holes which will also tidy up the appearance of the entire bar.

I also wouldn’t mind somehow figuring out a way to lock the freewheel gear lever on the winch in case someone decides they like my $250 rope more than I do.

Coming soon the install of my ARB on board Air which was given to me for my birthday along with the dig options unit my awesome chick. (Thanks Babe)

I’ve already fitted the Dig options unit but there is no need to go into that as it’s already been well covered and is very straight forward. I will show a picture of the rear view camera mount though when I finish it because I plan to drill a 25mm hole straight through the top centre of the number plate and that’s a bit different.
Last edited by gruntre69 on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 8:23 +0000, edited 6 times in total.
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Re: Grunter's SR5

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 05 May 2010 9:51 +0000

Thanks for sharing.

Great information.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby bigfella0101 on Fri, 14 May 2010 2:03 +0000

nice work with the winch. im about to install one this weekend.
i have already put in a reverse camera, and found the best place to put it is above the number plate, next to where the spare wheel winder goes. i made a small black bracket to hold the camera at a slight angle so i can see my tow ball and behind me.
good luck
bigfella0101

Postby bubs on Sun, 23 May 2010 4:04 +0000

Good write up

PS. Bigger pic of you avatar 8-)
bubs

Postby rockman on Sun, 23 May 2010 4:29 +0000

bubs wrote:
PS. Bigger pic of you avatar 8-)

"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Lift decision help

Postby gruntre69 on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 8:25 +0000

I'm really struggling with a lift decision. I was looking at the Cal offroad 3" kit and was almost there with this and I'm most certainly going to run with Billies and maybe king springs coils front. I've got a dilemma because I've been given confliction information about the Billi struts. Maybe some of you guys can shed some light?

I’ve heard from some suppliers that an extended brake bias valve lever arm is required but the Cal kit doesn’t include this. Who has this mod?

There seems to be more than one Bilstein strut available for the Hilux 150, it seems that there are a few variants.
Standard Bilstein BE5 D563 (front)
The cal offroad varient (I think it’s the same one with a revalve and more grooves cut)
There is another from a Bilstein importer called quadrants which is a high lift model. (this might be the same as the Cal version)

Now I believe the high lift models are changed so that they are better suited to operate at the top part of the stroke which is what happens when these have groove cut higher and the springs sitting higher on the shock outer body.

Or buy them of cal as a kit or separately for quite a bit more. I'm in WA and Cal is in Vic so shipping also adds to it.

My struggle is price versus value. I can get the standard ones quite cheap on this site http://www.4wddirect.com.au/cgi-bin/shoppingcart/cart.cgi?action=search&category=TH4 If it's only more grooves, I can get my machinist to do this for me for about $60

I also think I can save heaps of bucks buy just buying the parts I need and fitting them myself which is what I’ll do…

I think I really only need shocks and struts and front springs to start with, then look at the rear springs, bushes and shackles with a matching height if necessary match. (2.5 – 3 inches). What is the consensus on Poly bushes versus leaving the factory rubber in place? I had Poly on my land cruiser and found them squeaky and fast wearing.

I really need tyres, dual batteries and a fridge too so any saving on the lift will be a huge help on finances.

The another thing I’ve heard is that with 3” or more lift, there can be trouble with camber adjustment. Max, Twisty, how are yours for alignment any probs there?

If anyone who has standard Bilsteins or cal’s 3” kit and can give input I’d like to hear it.

I know some of this is covered in various threads, but I have read heaps of stuff and am taking a bit of liberty on my own build up thread.

Cheers for any input and I’ll certainly let you all know how I end up.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Re: Lift decision help

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 4:31 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:The another thing I’ve heard is that with 3” or more lift, there can be trouble with camber adjustment. Max, Twisty, how are yours for alignment any probs there?

Mate, when I did my suspension there was only basically the major name brands like ARB, ironman and toughdog available....I didnt want something off the shelf, and I wanted something from someone who knows their stuff and has been in the game for a while...so i went with what my neighbour recommended me....Desert Fox foam cell shocks and dobinson coils.....full 3" upfront and reset factory rear leaves with an add a leaf....but reset to perform, not just for height....when empty, she rides smooth but when loaded the extra leaf comes in early and she handles a decent weight.

has been through hell for 3 years now...no sag at all and still going strong.....abit cheaper than the big name brands but thats not what I was looking at....and no alignment problems with running 33" muddies for over 65,000km so far.....

hope that helps you out mate.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Grunter's SR5 - Lift ordered

Postby gruntre69 on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 2:07 +0000

Thanks Max, All the feed back helps.

I've made my decision and ordered most of the gear. I decided to go with Cal Offroad. After looking a lot further into it and heaps of phone calls I've found out more about Bilstein shocks. Here is what I found:

The are 3 variants as earlier stated and I spoke to the 2 different importers.

There is a standard which has 3 height grooves 7mm apart which translates to 10mm higher or 10mm lower than standard height which is the centre groove. These are good for up to 50mm lift (via the spring). Part number is BE5 D563

There is one from the smaller importer called Quadrant which is called A480Q (front) and it is supposed to be optimised for high lift. I spoke to the importer and apparently the only optimisation is that they have machined grooves at different heights. No internal changes. The problem is with this is that lift over 2” means the there is a chance that the piston will act right at the end of the stoke which is not lengthened. This can lead to internal damage of the end stop inside the shock and maybe the piston itself.

Now my choice is the Cal Offroad Bilstein shocks. These are different in 2 ways. They have had the internal spacers at the fully extended end machined down which gives the shock a longer free length. This allows it to work without toping out at higher lifts. I want 3 inches and this should be fine. It also has different valving to the other 2 variants. It has the same valving as the TRD Bilstein shocks that were supplied as OEM on the TRD vehicles. Cal has opted for this valving because he thinks it is a better ride all round and I have decided to run with it and trust his judgment. There is a premium to be paid for these units but I think it’s worth paying for when these guys have put the R & D into it. The rears also have the same specs with length and valving.

So I’ve ordered the Cal front springs to suit my winch/ARB bar/ARB compressor/Dual battery setup and the full set of shocks. I’m going to put all this stuff on and then look at the level of my rig. I’m thinking the rear will be slightly low and then I’ll decide on either a spring reset/replace or a small 1” block to level the rear. It will just be a great start to get the front up where it should be.

I’ve also finally decided on the dual battery setup and have ordered the Piranha bracket, Redarc SBI12 isolator and Trojen 115 Ah battery (Edit).

That’s a sufficient bleed on the finances for this month, and the fridge will follow very soon.
Last edited by gruntre69 on Tue, 15 Mar 2011 5:22 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Re: Grunter's SR5 - Lift ordered

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 2:21 +0000

sounds good mate. i am looking into the calloffroad gear aswell. cant wait to see this installed. You doin it urself??
hilux_bondy_007

Larger avatar pic

Postby gruntre69 on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:49 +0000

Due to popular request.... Here is the bigger pic of my avatar :lol: :shock:

Alright now seriously, my girl is awesome, she's gorgious, she loves our Hilux and doesn't want to even slightly stop me from making it an awesomely capable ride. She bought me the Dig_options and the ARB aircompressor and hose kit for my birthday. She loves wheeling and the more dificult and risky the situation the more excited she get's. Her name is Carla and the avatar pic is now in my shed...

Cheers
Last edited by gruntre69 on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 5:37 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:45 +0000

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Ox Man on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:02 +0000

mate ive got the cal kit, Cal Goodman is a mate of mine.

Ive had a lot of setups in my rigs, in terms of IFS rigs, i am most happy with this setup. I met up with Homer72 and a few other blokes a fortnight ago, i was lifting wheels flat out front and rear, never a drama with brake line brackets and brake lines....

Cal knows his way around these luxs, even if he is a pootrol & Jeep man. nothing is ever too much for bloke.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby gruntre69 on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 5:20 +0000

Ox Man wrote:mate ive got the cal kit, Cal Goodman is a mate of mine.

Ive had a lot of setups in my rigs, in terms of IFS rigs, i am most happy with this setup. I met up with Homer72 and a few other blokes a fortnight ago, i was lifting wheels flat out front and rear, never a drama with brake line brackets and brake lines....

Cal knows his way around these luxs, even if he is a pootrol & Jeep man. nothing is ever too much for bloke.

Nice one mate!

Looking forward to recieving it and bolting it on. Cal was great to talk to and deal with.....

Cheers
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Ox Man on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 6:12 +0000

keep in mind them billies are fully rebuildable too! ;)
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby Jack S on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 6:49 +0000

that cal kit is 3" right?
Jack S

Postby gruntre69 on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 8:36 +0000

Jack S wrote:that cal kit is 3" right?

Well mate it's 3" to 4" according to Cal. He said I should set mine on the very top groove even though I want no more than 3". Because I have a full load of accessories. He did say that without the accessory load that the top groove would be pushing it without a diff drop.

In light of the recent Bilstein failure, I'm going to examine the spring base plate in relation to how it sits on the circlip. If I think it needs machining to enclose the outer circlip I might even get my machinist to put another groove in the strut body to give me a slightly lower option, which won't cost much more in hourly rate time cost.

I won't know until I look at it but I'll be sure to post my decision and findings.

Yep, sure OX. The rebuild possibility was a consideration in my purchase.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby LANK on Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:33 +0000

will look into cal as well, great thread mat thanks for the info.
LANK

Postby gruntre69 on Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:56 +0000

LANK wrote:will look into cal as well, great thread mat thanks for the info.

Mate, I've learned so much from this forum. Have been on a few of these over the years but this one is exceptional for the quality of the crew and good info.

I will reciprocate as much as possible....
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 22 Jun 2010 4:08 +0000

Thanks for the compliment mate.

On behalf of newhilux, we appreciate that you find the crew exceptional.

:D :D :D
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby LANK on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:40 +0000

G' day bud, when you fitted your arb bar what did you do about the air bag sensors? I ask the question because I am unsure what the go is and weather mine are hooked up, the bar was fitted by the previous owner of the lux.
LANK

Next

Return to Member Build Ups