Aftermarket GPS onto SR Screen

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Aftermarket GPS onto SR Screen

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 17 Jan 2017 7:11 +0000

I know there are some topics already on the audio units.....but this is specifically for the SR screen that does have inbuilt GPS compatible features, in order to find out information about companies that can upgrade the stock SR headunit to accomadate this function as opposed to a full replacement head unit.

Surely there has to be someone out there that has the know how to program in an aftermarket GPS function.

I have heard it is possible but cannot find anything concrete online.

I have found this - http://aus-audio.com.au/products/opal/opthlxgps

Which looks like a replacement headunit.

Description:
High Definition Touch Screen
Full WiFi and Bluetooth function
Integrated iGoforOpal licensed maps
Full Multimedia with DVD and Internal Storage
iPod & iPhone Full Music Control and Charging
Steering Wheel Control with No Factory Voice Command
Full Access to Google Play for App downloads
Screen Mirroring Feature for IOS and Android
Off Road Maps available (Optional)
Reverse camera with Guidelines (Optional)

**3 Years Warranty when installed from an authorised dealer

Just want someone to be able to program in either a GPS into existing SR headunit or workout a way to run GoogleMaps via bluetooth off my mobile onto the screen.......theres gotta be something out there for this?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Aftermarket GPS onto SR Screen

Postby nicovdw on Tue, 17 Jan 2017 7:45 +0000

Or if you have a LOT of spare cash lying around
https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/perfect- ... 009-hilux/
nicovdw

Postby blackpak on Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:06 +0000

There is this one but it's not cheap at $1299 or $1598 with Hema maps

GPS
http://advancedice.com.au/toyota-integr ... -2562.html

GPS with Hema
http://advancedice.com.au/index.php/toy ... hema.html#
blackpak

Postby redlineg on Thu, 26 Jan 2017 9:44 +0000

I'm with Max!!!
Surely there is an IT Literate geek who can figure out how the same piece of hardware (i.e. the Screen!), installed on both the SR and SR5, but with SR5 having GPS and the SR not, what is involved to add some 'Software' to the SR Deck so GPS can be enabled?
Surely a better option than replacing the deck?
Has anyone asked Toyota for a cost?
What about HEMA?
Cheers
Les
redlineg

Postby Samuelpe on Tue, 08 Aug 2017 7:56 +0000

Hi guys I too am after an answer to this question. Surely there is a solution...
Samuelpe

Postby iller on Tue, 08 Aug 2017 8:46 +0000

I saw some post on facebook that could mirror your smartphone, which would be possible to enable gps etc.

I'll link it when i find it again.
iller

Postby iller on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 2:20 +0000

iller

Postby Samuelpe on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 2:38 +0000

Cheers Iller, appreciate your help.
The conundrum I'm in is im chewing through data on my my mobile plan readily using it as a GPS. So, I was hoping I could find a way of updating the head unit to have a GPS to bypass this problem.
Samuelpe

Postby same name on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 6:44 +0000

Let me assure you, the new mapping system on all Toyota's is not real flash, it is based on the whereis maps and is frequently wrong!
I also have an interest in a solution for my screen where I would like to run the Hema maps on the existing SR 5, must ;) be a IT guru out there somewhere who can sort out a fix.
same name

Postby GleamingShadow on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 8:38 +0000

I'm sure it is possible, however getting a quality GPS system built into the OEM system would be very difficult. A more likely method of going about this would be by dropping the OEM backend itself and using a custom one. I.e. losing all current functionality of existing system and building another to match it and then support another GPS setup. In theory not difficult to do, just lots of little issues in practice.

One could build a backend running of a Raspberry Pi running Windows IOT Core, build a custom app which takes over all nav, music etc duties then outputting its signal to the display. Of course the most difficult part here would be interfacing the with existing display. One would need to write custom drivers for the Pi based on the exact screens data sheet specs...

You could however do the same as above, however remove the factory screen and replace it with a 3rd party one that will interface with the Pi already. The official one made for the Pi is the same resolution, which isn't great, but it will defiantly work. Otherwise you would have to try find a 7" HDMI display with USB touch functions in a higher resolution package, which could be more difficult. You could also rewire all the existing buttons into the Pi and have them remain functional.

I have been thinking about this for 7 months already. It would be great to have a headunit that does all the usual stuff, plus decent mapping and have things such as OBD functionality built in, or vehicle documentation viewable (workshop manual, oil specs etc etc). It would be relatively simple to get all of that working minus decent mapping, that would be quite a bit more challenging and potentially bordering illegal if you were to reverse engineer Hemas' app for its data then building a new system to work on the data.

Another option would be replacing the screen with an 7" Android tablet. Wouldn't be the simplest headunit, but you could do literally anything Android supports. Whatever music player you want, Hema Explorer, Torque etc.
One could potentially combine a tablet and Pi/arduino together to allow you to rewire the head unit buttons. Buttons -> Arduino, Arduino serial -> tablet. Would need a custom app running on the tablet constantly to poll and interpret serial from the Arduino to then trigger system functions (Volume up/down, music play/pause etc.
GleamingShadow

Postby same name on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 9:12 +0000

Thanks Mate, one thing is for sure, the first bloke that can offer a solution best patent his/her idea because there will be a lot of Toyo owners who will buy the solution I think.
same name

Postby blackpak on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 9:43 +0000

There is one place I've found that to it but for what they charge you may as well replace the head unit for something better.

Just Nav $1299
http://advancedice.com.au/toyota-integr ... earch=2171

Nav with Hema $1549
http://advancedice.com.au/toyota-integr ... earch=2174
blackpak

Postby cmilton54 on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 5:11 +0000

In the end I just bit the bullet and replaced the head assembly with a new one. It was plug and play with a dash cam as a extra that plugged in.
It all worked straight up from change over. On problem is dash cam, I fitted a 16g card, it says card not found, I am going to get a 8g card, as that is what it said works best.
It leaves our Kakadu GPS for dead, a lot more features.
With reverse camera as well, it will also take front cameras as well.
All up about 700 dollars with dash camera.
cmilton54

Postby cmilton54 on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 5:13 +0000

Looks like OE, mine is a late 2016 SR vehicle.
cmilton54

Postby same name on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 6:34 +0000

which Machine did you actually get Mate, how much, who installed it , thanks in advance
ps. any pic's?
same name

Postby cmilton54 on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 9:49 +0000

Hi
It was got off ebay from a Australian dealer, He still had a couple left.
Email me and I will give you his phone details and name.
No sorry have not taken pictures, do not know how to post them as well. Cost was about $700 with dash cam to suit.
Fitted it myself
Cheers Charlie
cmilton54

Postby ccall48 on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 7:35 +0000

Does anyone know if the head units are the same model type between the SR and SR5?
ie; If they are the same model it is possible the SR just has the GPS receiver unit turned off in software.
If anyone here works at toyota or has a mate that works at toyota as a spares interpreter they might be able to look it up...?

Also I would be interested to see what the source code is for the SR5 if anyone here knows someone who has one who could check for us..? The location to find this out on my SR is as below.

Apps -> Setup -> General
Scroll down and select "Software Information"

Then scroll down a short few touches until you see the "Website Below:"
My17 SR says: http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/support/so ... index.html

If it is possible to backup/update/flash the head unit via USB It might be possible to try upload SR5 software.. unfortunately the only way I know of doing updates is via a connected phone ATM.
My17 SR
ccall48

Postby Toeknee2 on Tue, 05 Sep 2017 5:40 +0000

Apparently the 2018 SR will have the sat nav option on the same screen. I'll be asking Toyota if I can have a software update when they start coming out in a couple of months.
Toeknee2

Postby gjn on Wed, 06 Sep 2017 12:52 +0000

Toeknee2 wrote:Apparently the 2018 SR will have the sat nav option on the same screen. I'll be asking Toyota if I can have a software update when they start coming out in a couple of months.

The wiring diagram shows a separate GPS aerial and ECU though - I doubt whether an SR would have them fitted by default?
gjn

Postby Toeknee2 on Wed, 06 Sep 2017 5:55 +0000

gjn wrote:
Toeknee2 wrote:Apparently the 2018 SR will have the sat nav option on the same screen. I'll be asking Toyota if I can have a software update when they start coming out in a couple of months.

The wiring diagram shows a separate GPS aerial and ECU though - I doubt whether an SR would have them fitted by default?

To be honest I have never bothered using a GPS, I've never felt the need. I just thought it might be a good thing to ad to the car if it was free.
Toeknee2

Next

Return to General Discussion