New Prado Spy Pics

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Re: New Prado Spy Pics

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:12 +0000

Guys,

Just got these pics emailed to me from 4x4 action forum...enjoy.....these are the official release pics -

Today Toyota has revealed to us the all new LandCruiser Prado – with a raft of new features and technology from its big brother, the 200 series. Dubbed the “Fourth Generation”, the new model is visibly a Prado from every angle. But as we know beauty is only skin deep – is the new Prado tough enough for those of us who’ll be giving it an off-road beating?

This week's reveal only gave us the opportunity to crawl under and over the new model – we weren’t allowed inside the cabin or under the bonnet, so all we can report on at this stage is the general construction of the vehicle. Toyota is remaining tight lipped about the final range and specifications, and will reveal more at the November launch.

First thing you notice is that the plastic body mouldings and flares are gone – wide front and rear mudguards cover deep wheel arches. There looks to be plenty of room for wheel travel, especially at the rear (where the current model excels). Like previous models the fourth generation comes complete with aluminium side steps, but they have been cleverly engineered to not scrape over obstacles like the current model does off-road.

The front and rear overhangs have both been reduced to maximise off-road potential, with the departure angle having been significantly improved. Whilst exact measurements and final details will be released at official launch in November, it seems under-body clearance has also improved.

Underneath the new Prado is a pleasant surprise. Remaining are the ladder frame chassis, sizeable twin fuel tanks and solid metal engine and transmission bash plates. The driveline is extremely well tucked, with the transfer directly protected by a tube-braced centre cross-member.

The suspension is an update of the current 5 link rigid-rear end and IFS front. The Prado’s on-road ability shouldn’t disappoint, with Toyota placing much emphasis on handling. The vehicle displayed to us was fitted with rear air-bag springs, and while Toyota remains tight lipped over which models will be fitted with them, the coil rear end from the current generation is likely to remain in all but the luxury variants.

The display vehicle also featured 18in alloy wheels wrapped around big disc brakes front and rear. We’re not sure if 17in wheels will be available on the lower spec models for those of us heading into the scrub, but there didn’t seem to be much space between the callipers and 18in rims to allow the smaller size to fit. We’ll keep you posted on that one.

This vehicle was also equipped with Toyota’s KDSS technology and – passed down from the 200 series. This allows the virtual disconnection of the anti-roll bars when in low range, using cross linked hydraulic rams attached to the sway-bar ends. If it works as well as in the 200 series off-road, the new Prado will be significantly more capable in the rough compared to the current generation.

Toyota will fit every model with seven airbags and electronic traction control, and the higher end models are likely to receive additional electronic aids like “Crawl Control” and “downhill assist”.

The current engines and transmissions carry over to the new model, but with increased power and torque and lower fuel consumption – by up to 10%. Toyota claim the diesel model will now use less than 9.0L/100km, making it one of the most efficient 4WDs ever built. The V6 now features VVTi on all four camshafts raising power by 10%. Exact figures will be released in November when the vehicle officially goes on sale.

When asked if the 3 door short wheel base model will arrive here, Toyota are still deciding if there will be enough demand compared to the 5 door. With significantly improved ramp over angle, the shorty will be quite capable in the rough. Hopefully Toyota sees the light and lands it here soon.

The interior of the vehicle is yet to be finalised, so we weren’t able to take a gander, but its looks will likely mirror the 200 series. There will be all the mod cons, like reversing cameras and sat-nav on the upper models, and from the extra width of the body there will be increased seating comfort. The vehicle is longer and wider, but lower. The front cowl of the body structure had been moved forward to improve the cabin space to make travelling for the 8 passengers more comfortable. The 4WD activation will also likely be electronic rather than by the mechanical lever of the current model.

On sale in November it’ll face some new competition for the Discovery 4 and Mitsubishi’s Challenger. As soon as we’ve tested it properly off-road you’ll be the first to know the truth! For now we’re pleasantly surprised the new model retains all the ability of the 120 series, with some clever technology added.

Stay tuned for more on the New Prado, as well as all the new models arriving soon! It’s going to be an interesting couple of months!

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Bull on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 4:50 +0000

So it's basically just a cabin upgrade with everything else the same.

There was talk of a bigger diesel but I expect there's a few more performance hikes left in the D4D before they replace it.
Bull

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 6:53 +0000

More than a cabin upgrade......this prado has more in common with the 200 series than the previous one did with the hilux.....even suspension components are similar to 200 series and size is bigger overall.....even thou drivetrain is carry over....for now ;)

personally, I dont like the way toyota is going with big front and rear bumpers.....just the trend I guess in vehicle styling.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 7:38 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:personally, I dont like the way toyota is going with big front and rear bumpers.....just the trend I guess in vehicle styling.

I agree, they are starting to look big and clumbsy
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 1:56 +0000

heres some pics of the 3 door prado and the interior -

And a video tour of the New Prado -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnkSNeN5VRU&feature=player_embedded
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 6:05 +0000

Just got word that the shorty ZR model comes with front and rear diff lock, an ice box and park assist.

Got a couple of mates going to by it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Batman on Wed, 07 Oct 2009 5:54 +0000

mmaaxx,

Have you anymore information on the Prado?

The ZR model how does that fit in existing models eg STD, GX, GXL, VX or Grande, I imagine it would be a sporty model at about GXL level??

Somehow I need to convince the better half of the worthiness of Shorty in about 39 days, and convince her to come up with the spend... I will be going in to my local dealer in the next few weeks to book a test drive. Hope I won't be dissapointed.

A white ZR?? D4D manual with front and rear lockers, ARB sahara bar... mmmmmm sounds good.

Steve.
Batman

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Oct 2009 1:06 +0000

Just go and do it...then tell her later :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to Toyota News