Toyota may export Tundra's and Sequoia's

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Toyota may export Tundra's and Sequoia's

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 16 Aug 2008 7:05 +0000

Hey all,

Came across this bit of info whilst surfing the Toyota nation Forum, thought you guys may be interested in the little bit of news.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=261834
David Barkholz
Automotive News
August 11, 2008 - 11:05 am ET

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- Toyota Motor Corp. could make the U.S. an export base as it looks to export its Tundra pickup and Sequoia SUV in the face of slumping North American sales.
Steve St. Angelo, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky Inc., told the Management Briefing Seminars today that the light trucks could be attractive to overseas buyers.
The Tundra is primarily built at the 2-year-old San Antonio assembly plant while the Sequoia and a small number of Tundras are built in Princeton, Ind.
Toyota idled production of both vehicles on Friday, Aug. 8, because of high inventories of the vehicles. They will resume production in mid-November.
Tundra U.S. sales are down 15.2 percent through July from 105,990 a year ago to 89,929 so far this year. The all-new Sequoia has somewhat bucked the trend. It is up 32.8 percent to 19,367 in U.S. sales through July compared 14,582
Sales industry-wide of pickups and large SUVs have plummeted in the past four months as $4 per gallon gasoline has driven consumers to smaller, fuel-efficient cars.
At San Antonio, Toyota is keeping idled workers busy with various projects instead of laying them off.
Toyota imports tens of thousands of cars into the United States from Japan, including the popular Camry sedan, but has done little exporting from its operations here.

Thought Id share that with you all, we can only hope.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Toyota may export Tundra's and Sequoia's

Postby 10K on Sat, 16 Aug 2008 7:16 +0000

Fingers crossed MMAAXX,

Tundra with the V8 D4D would be awesome. 6" Lift, 37's etc!!!

I'm going to ask Santa for one!

Cheers
Matt

Re: Toyota may export Tundra's and Sequoia's

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:05 +0000

10K wrote:Fingers crossed MMAAXX,

Tundra with the V8 D4D would be awesome. 6" Lift, 37's etc!!!

I'm going to ask Santa for one!

Cheers
Matt

Yeah, your not wrong there mate, me too. I think Id go as much out of the way as I could to try and afford one of them. :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Return to Toyota News