Ironman Electric Locker

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Ironman Electric Locker

Postby scottsr20 on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 4:14 +0000

Any day now Ironman are going to release there Ironman diff lock range. It is the Eaton electricly actuated locker you would have see at Opposite lock, etc just repackaged as an Ironman product. The good news is it is the genuine article, and with Ironmans marketing budget and buying power they should retail significatly cheaper than the other resellers currently offering them. All of the currently available lockers will be sold through selected Ironman dealers (including the new hilux front locker ) we are just waiting on final pricing - I suggested it should be around the $1300 mark to be competitive with the airlocker.
scottsr20

Re: Ironman Electric Locker

Postby danmcccc on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 4:22 +0000

very good investment...check your PM's mate ;)
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 7:20 +0000

Interesting....I remember talking to Ironman a few years ago and they said they were developing their own locker range, but for whatever reasons this kept on being postponed after a lengthy time of testing.

Looks like it was easier to jump on another bandwagon with a ready made product.

the more competition the better for the customer I say. :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby helmut79 on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:51 +0000

I'm so excited............I just can't hide it..............

Bring it on :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby danmcccc on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:58 +0000

you wont regret spending the coin on lockers, 100% worth it

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby flyn_finn on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 3:18 +0000

found this bit of info via google hope it helps.

Kindly find information about the release of our new Ironman Differential Locker.

The Ironman Diff Locker is manufactured in Australia in conjunction with Eaton Corporation and Harrop Engineering is a new age electro magnetic design which is maintenance free. covers the range of Toyota Landcruiser and Hilux-Fortuner and Nissan Patrols.

Ironman diff lockers are

• 4 pinion design
• Push button operation ( no air system or plumbing required )
• Maintenance free
• Driver controlled to provide full axle locking
• Assembly kit includes all wiring
• Fully Serviceable
The initial range of Ironman Diff Lockers covers the range of Toyota Landcruiser, Hilux and Nissan Patrol. It has been engineered to capture 100 per cent of available torque sending it equally to both ends of the axle.
When the Locker switch is activated, electric current is supplied to a powerful electromagnet. As the electromagnet is energized, a torque is created on a drag-plate that activates a ramping mechanism. The ramping mechanism, in turn, translates rotational force into the axial motion of a locking mechanism. The locking mechanism engages into slots or tabs on the differential side gear and locks the side gear rotation to the differential housing. The result is on-demand traction and a fully locked differential.
The Ironman Locker is built with precision gears that are designed to mesh perfectly providing strength and durability over a standard gear cut.

The Ironman 4x4 diff lockers are different to the ARB air lockers due to the following reasons;

1) No air lines required- this means no compressors needed, no air lines or damage to airlines, no chance of oil pumping up the air lines, no delay in engagement due to oil in air lines, no leaking diff seals due to pressurized diff, no solenoids, no air tank, no pressure switch, less power draw to engage the lockers.

2) Maintenance free- no servicing required, no seals to perish, no part to break down due to seals wearing metal parts, no double lip seals breaking down

3) Stronger diff casing than ARB - less run out when setting up the diff.

4) Less warranty issues.

5) The Ironman diff lock comes as a complete kit, diff centre and wiring loom, this is all required. With ARB you have to buy additional parts.

6) Ironman diff lockers are state of the art electro magnetic engagement. ARB’s air lockers require full time pressure.

7) The Ironman locker have very low power draw compared to the ARB air locker used with the compressor

8) The Ironman locker has less moving parts and therefore less prone to breakdown.

9) The Ironman lockers requires only 2 switches in the dash for engagement. The ARB locker requires 3.

10) The Ironman locker is much simpler to install than the ARB locker

about a month ago..
flyn_finn

Postby ktm300 on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 6:15 +0000

Any one got an exact price on supply and fit for the front locker from ironman ?
ktm300

Postby jakelux on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 6:24 +0000

It sounds promising and could be a good 'Budget' locker.. There products always seem to be a good few hundred bucks less than the competition :D
jakelux

Postby helmut79 on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 6:48 +0000

They are made by Harrop who are doing the "E-Locker" for OL
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

helmut79

Postby scottsr20 on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 8:40 +0000

Thats correct. They are an Eaton product from the US, which is made under licence by Harrop in Australia.
As of yesterday, retail pricing had not been confirmed, but dealers have been chosen who will be authorised to
supply and fit them.
scottsr20

Postby Jack S on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:23 +0000

I just enquirerd about these and the answer I got was that these are not the Eaton product, they are made by ironman to look and work like the eaton, I guess an imitation yet they are made out of lesser products and aren't anywhere near the strength. I was told not to go near them....
Jack S

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:30 +0000

Thats interesting Jack.....got any more information bou this to share? Im sure the members on here would be keen to know the differences between the two.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby helmut79 on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:34 +0000

Was that the response from ARB or OL?

Do tell us more Jack
Mick
FCCW

helmut79

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:35 +0000

I hope they are $1300 like you suggested or cheaper. When OL started selling them they where $1800 which is absurd. It took them a long time to drop their price down, and it's still to expensive in my opinion.

I'm glad Ironman is joining in. 8-)
MADDOG

Postby Jack S on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:50 +0000

Guys that was the response I got from opposite lock in orange, I enquirer with them as they deal with the ironman products. Don't really have any more info, he pretty much said to stay away from them because they aren't strong, well not as strong as eaton or arb. Which is why the cheap price tag, they are made out of lesser products.
Jack S

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 9:03 +0000

Jack S wrote:I just enquirerd about these and the answer I got was that these are not the Eaton product, they are made by ironman to look and work like the eaton, I guess an imitation yet they are made out of lesser products and aren't anywhere near the strength. I was told not to go near them....

Jack S wrote:Guys that was the response I got from opposite lock in orange, I enquirer with them as they deal with the ironman products. Don't really have any more info, he pretty much said to stay away from them because they aren't strong, well not as strong as eaton or arb. Which is why the cheap price tag, they are made out of lesser products.

BOLD statements Jack. I wonder if there is any truth in it. I mean Ironman will be OL's direct competition in selling the Eaton - Harrop E-locker. Maybe OL Orange want your business. ;)

I see no reason not to believe Ironman will be selling the real deal. ....or is it Guilty until proven Inoccent. It hasn't even been released onto the market yet.

I saw this exact same thing happen on another forum when talking about the Eaton E-locker. When it was mention that Ironman will also be selling them somebody piped up and said "yeah it'll be a Thailand copied Eaton" and then someone from Ironman said "actually we sell the Harrop Eaton E-locker not a Thai copy." The same person also said that Ironman will be providing a 3 year warranty on them.

Anyway, that's just what I read but I wouldn't start slandering a product until I learned the facts.
MADDOG

Postby helmut79 on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 9:41 +0000

Advantage Dogs................ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sound like some scare mongering by OL, which is only natural when a product the same as there’s is released. Same lines ARB still use with regards to the E-Locker.

Bring on the competition I say, we have been ripped off for far too long.
Mick
FCCW

helmut79

Ironman Electric Locker

Postby paw55h on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:13 +0000

My magic number is 2k installed front and rear

Anymore and it's hard to justify
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in the fruit salad
http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8669
paw55h

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:33 +0000

helmut79 wrote:Bring on the competition I say, we have been ripped off for far too long.

Pretty much the bottom line in all this......

Competition is a great thing.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby danmcccc on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:39 +0000

paw55h wrote:My magic number is 2k installed front and rear

Anymore and it's hard to justify

using LOKKA diff locks is the only way you'll get locked up for 2k including fitting

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Next

Return to Toyota News