Ford & Toyota Co-Op on Hybrid Trucks

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 1:21 +0000

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-news/ford-toyota-to-work-together-on-hybrid-trucks/article2137179/
Ford, Toyota to work together on hybrid trucks

Ford Motor Co. Ltd. (F-N10.450.141.36%) and Toyota Motor Corp. say they'll work together to develop a gas-electric hybrid system to power pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles.

The companies signed a deal Monday to share development costs, saying they want to make the technology more affordable for customers and bring it to market faster.

Both companies now sell hybrid cars, but trucks need a different system with power to tow and haul heavy loads.

Hybrid trucks would help auto makers meet stricter government fuel economy and pollution standards in the U.S. and other countries. In the U.S., the fleet of new cars and trucks will have to average 56.5 miles per gallon (4.16 litres per 100 km) by 2025, although trucks will have lower mileage targets.

It will take a year for the companies to figure out who will do what research, Ford product development chief Derrick Kuzak said. He said it would be at least two or three years after that before a system can be developed. The companies aren't sure yet what kind of gas mileage it will get.

The system would power some of Ford's F-Series pickup trucks, the top-selling vehicle in the U.S., and it would run the Tundra, Toyota's full-sized pickup truck. It also would be used in rear-wheel-drive sport utility vehicles, the companies said.

Interesting co-operative deal that Im sure will benefit both car makers. But by "gas-electric" Im assuming because its american that its typical "petrol/electric hybrid" like the prius not Gas as in Natural Gas per se.

Why they do Not develop a D4D Hybrid beats the hell out of me. Surely a Landcruiser Twin Turbo V8 D4D couple to a large generator with a flat battery pack under the tray would work wonders.

The battery pack would aid in vehicle handling in a large truck by balancing some of the weight, and whilst cruising on flat roads, the batteries would be operating...saving heaps of diesel. The torque available on tap from such an engine with the electric generator aswell (Note: when you put your foot down in a hybrid both the petrol engines torque is used aswell as the electric generator at the same time) means you would have a huge rush of torque when needed.

For the record....my wife Hybrid camry keeps up with a late model commodore V6 upto almost 80-90kph for comparison from standing start.:twisted:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Big Red Truck on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 2:09 +0000

Had a mate with me the other day in our 2010 Hybrid Camry, and gunned it from a standstill to 110 km/h, and he comment was 'I'm surprised and impressed'.
Not bad from a bloke who drives a 5.7 litre Commodore!
Big Red Truck

Re: Ford & Toyota Co-Op on Hybrid Trucks

Postby ultimate on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 2:48 +0000

Had a mate with me the other day in our 2010 Hybrid Camry, and gunned it from a standstill to 110 km/h, and he comment was 'I'm surprised and impressed'.
Not bad from a bloke who drives a 5.7 litre Commodore!

You can also get Sprint Boosters for the Hybrids which makes them go even better ;)
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Bullzye on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 4:47 +0000

But would it way more than a standard truck??
The funniest part about you reading my signature is that by the time you read the whole thing from start to finish you only then realise there is nothing interesting in it.
Bullzye

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 6:58 +0000

Bullzye wrote:But would it way more than a standard truck??

Yes and No id say.

A V6 Hybrid would weigh probably as much as a diesel....I think theres about 200kg difference in weight between alloy block and cast iron block d4d.

Plus you can bet they'd put the batteries under the tray for better weight distribution which equals better handling.

Just my take on it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Return to Toyota News