Tub Storage Box Options

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Tub Storage Box Options

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 6:43 +0000

Guys,

Looking for some feedback/advice/direction.......

Up to now, with 2 kids in the back seat Ive been able to still be able to put blankets and baby bags and the like between them and sometimes in the foot wells behind the back seat but with the third on the way, my storage ability for baby gear within the cabin will be very much limited so I am on the look out for some sort of tool/storage box for the tub behind the cabin. Has to be dust and water proof. Canopy is not an option at this stage so dont even mention that.

I have come across pretty much only 2 options so far.......both include getting rid of the sportsbar to be practical.

1) Ironman storage boxes
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/ute_boxes.html

The lower one I may be able to get away with having a tonneau cover it, but the higher one I'll need a custom tonneau made up to cover the rest.

2) Custom made Aluminium Checkerplate Tool Box

If I went this route I'd get it made to sit up to the bottom of the rear window and have opening "wings" either side to access from either side of the tub and the top.

The shape below -
With the top lid being like the following -

So if anyone else has any other suggestions, ideas, contacts (melb) or an idea of what sort of costs Id be looking at it would be much appreciated.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Storage Box for Styleside Tub?

Postby Jack S on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 7:17 +0000

i like that ironman one very much, but i guess only problem is you need to get rid of the sports bar!

This is just what i think about toolboxes/storageboxs for a tube. If your going to get one it really needs to be facing the side, becuase its just easier access from the side of tube, rather being at the rear window.

If you on the side than your able to get anything out that you out in there, where as if its at the back, all the shit in the middle you cant get proply and need to jump in the tube to get out!

Anyway thats just what i think about the location of the storage unit, other than that i wouldnt have a clue :? .

Probly doesnt help max, but just thought i would chuck it down.......
Jack S

Postby bairdy380 on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 7:26 +0000

G'day Max, been thinking of similar things for my own vehicle, but more for a shooting rig purpose.
My thoughts at this stage are more along the lines of dividing the tub into modular sections that I can move / remove as per the vehicle set-up requirements. And was going to keep the tonneau cover but actually mod it with some zip/flap entry points or fully removal panel sections as required. Still only concept, but I think it is very doable....using the holden tub modular system as a similar theory.
bairdy380

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 7:31 +0000

Thanks for your input guys....the other idea I came up with that would help to keep costs down would to have the storage box exactly the same as the one in the last pic......and have it sitting on either side of the wheel arches in the tub......would still gimme a small amount of storage room below it and would be cheaper with the less fabrication required like the first alloy box pictured.

Yes, the tonneau will need to be either modified or sold and a custom one made to suit this setup.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 7:49 +0000

Max, I like the idea that it just spans across the wheel arches and sits up higher than the tonneau cover line but I would consider one big door lid that lift up against the headboard ( ie just a plain style hinged tool ( Toy ) box). I personally find it annoying have a lot of smaller doors with fiddly spaces, have one big door and then fit some removable dividers in the box if you want them. The space under the box between the wheel arches is still mighty handy for gear you don't need to access that often. Get a new tonneau made up that has sail track on front of box to seal up to it.

The fabrication costs will be heaps less plus if you change your mind down the track it is a much more universal shape for other uses.

That Ironman box looks pretty good too.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 7:54 +0000

I like that idea Alby......sure would keep costs down too.....and the mod for the tonneau cover would fit in weel with it.....

I dont mind having to climb into the back to get thing out of it...as long as its secure and water/dust proof Im :D

will have to take some measurements and go get a couple quotes.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:02 +0000

Max,

I think the Ironman one is probably reasonably cost effective but it is a generic box so it wastes a bit of space. The other thing you could consider is a space case. They make one 1100mm wide which fits nicely between the wheel arches or you could work on 2 x 550 mm boxes. They come in a few different heights. You'll get them at ARB, TJM or OL.

Apparently, according to a mate, they will also make custom height ones if you want to keep it low under the tonneau. You would be able to remove it when not required and you would not need to remove the bars.
rodw

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:19 +0000

Max,

These guys are in Campbellfield and have a pretty big standard range and a big custom gallery.

http://www.utesafe.com.au/

Cheers

Joel
MADDOG

Postby Boof on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:49 +0000

Hate to say it Max but stop modding the Lux and get ready to sell it and buy a Prado and camper trailer. 3 kids in a ute is a nightmare, I lasted one trip before I snapped, the extra seats, and bigger cabin to swallow the noise makes it so much nicer to travel. Just my 2c

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 9:23 +0000

Boof wrote:Hate to say it Max but stop modding the Lux and get ready to sell it and buy a Prado and camper trailer. 3 kids in a ute is a nightmare, I lasted one trip before I snapped, the extra seats, and bigger cabin to swallow the noise makes it so much nicer to travel. Just my 2c

I trying very hard not to have to go that way but it may need to happen when the kids get bigger........

rodw wrote:Max,

I think the Ironman one is probably reasonably cost effective but it is a generic box so it wastes a bit of space. The other thing you could consider is a space case. They make one 1100mm wide which fits nicely between the wheel arches or you could work on 2 x 550 mm boxes. They come in a few different heights. You'll get them at ARB, TJM or OL.

Apparently, according to a mate, they will also make custom height ones if you want to keep it low under the tonneau. You would be able to remove it when not required and you would not need to remove the bars.

Thats also not a bad option, thanks Rod....but then Id need to find room in the garage for another big box :shock:

So are you saying they can make the space cases custom sizes or the ironman one you reffered to earlier?

Aren't those space cases pricey?

MADDOG wrote:Max,

These guys are in Campbellfield and have a pretty big standard range and a big custom gallery.

http://www.utesafe.com.au/

Cheers

Joel

Thanks Joel,

ther do have a good range of standard products......might shoot them an email just inquire.....I got 2 months to sort something out......I hope its just 2 months :shock:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 9:45 +0000

Max how old are your current kids? when we had Riley BJ was still in a booster seat and it was a mongrel with 2 kids in seats. As you well know those baby seats take up as much room as an oversized adult like myself does :lol:

We now only have the one in a seat but with 2 in the middle row and the eldest in the back row they all have a heap of room, I would seriously recommend you look at a 120 before you waste money. We all know how much I love my luxes but with 3 kids its just a pita

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:06 +0000

Daughter is almost 6.....son is almost one and the next son is due a month after my first sons b'day....so Ill have 2 baby seats, One forward facing one rear and me daughter sitting in between them.

Selling the lux is not an option........ :o
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:20 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Daughter is almost 6.....son is almost one and the next son is due a month after my first sons b'day....so Ill have 2 baby seats, One forward facing one rear and me daughter sitting in between them.

Selling the lux is not an option........ :o

Bwahahahahaha yep sounds ohhhhhh so familiar although I didnt sell the Lux I sold the wifes Subaru instead :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

At the time we had our third the eldest was 5 the middle one 3 and the youngest. The eldest in the middle hated it and was always uncomfortable. Worst case you will lose your Lux, best case you may convince your wife to sell her car and get to turn the Lux into a toy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:23 +0000

The wife wants a Kluger...she may get it when she eventually goes back to work but not until then.....she can deal with the camry for now.

that will be the primary family vehicle (kluger) and the lux will slowly get relegated to "toy-status" :twisted:

in the meantime......for trips away, the hilux tub holds alot more than a camry rear, but I need a storage box to keep baby stuff clean.......
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:28 +0000

Mad dog, just sent a quote to that mob you linked above, see what they come back with......

I requested a box with a single lid like Alby suggested.....to sit ontop of the wheel arches in the tub....1500 wide x 400 high x 300 deep. With a strut to hold the lid up and a single lock and sealed.

That would make the height sit just below the rear window and the full width of the tub.

In black of course....I'm "chromophobic" :shock:

See what they come back with.....probably scare me.

Took some measurments this arvo for the ironman toolboxes.....the low profile box will still be a tad higher than the tub due to the tub liner so I wouldnt be able to use the tonneau anyway......If I go this route, Ill just get their large size one and be done with the tonneau and rollbar...... their large size one thou is about 500 or so deep so takes abit of space......
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby cr1pp5 on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:51 +0000

take back seats out, put 2x 12" subs in, fridge and other gear.........problem solved

Drive wifes car everywhere... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just like me mate, we drive my missus' car everywhere cos there is no room in my ute
R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby white.lux on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:34 +0000

in my opinion if you were to get the ironman box and it wasnt going to be in the tub permanetly wouldnt it be better to put it right at the back of the tub to make getting things in and out of it easier, and that way you can also keep the rollbar.

Anthony
white.lux

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 5:47 +0000

yeah that is an option white.lux......get the ironman box and just strap it in when needed for outings with family......

Im pretty certain the ironman box would be the cheapest option aswell....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby MADDOG on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 7:34 +0000

Max

I like your idea of having the box sit on top of the wheel arch's. That way you can fit anything long and skinny underneath.
I've thought about putting a box at the back of the tub, but it's to hard to get things in and out of the tub with box in the way. It'd be alright with a dropside tray. I collect firewood in my ute and when you've got a big log the tailgate is the only access point. If it was a box that you were to just strap in at the tailgate when needed then I'm sure you could find some plastic storage boxes heaps cheaper than the ironman toolboxes. They're built to fit in between the wheel arch's anyway so would be pointless at the tailgate. And it's a bummer that they don't fit under the torneau with a tub liner.
MADDOG

Postby SR5LUX on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 8:25 +0000

Ive got 1 of these max and find them really good, keep all the dust and crap out ;) and can strap them in anywhere

http://www.arb.com.au/products/general- ... cessories/

Select space case
TYRES ARE LIKE TITS THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH THEM THE BIGGER YOU WANT
SR5LUX

Next

Return to Exterior Mods