Brushbars/sidesteps questions

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Brushbars/sidesteps questions

Postby Oz Bruiser on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 4:50 +0000

Quick question i probably know the answer to, but ill talk the experts all of you out there ad maybe this has been asked before or at least somone has some feedback for me.

About 3 weeks ago i had a smallish accident that wasnt my fault. End result P plater in mums Ford Fiesta 0, my Lux 1. Only ARB Delux Winch Bar damaged, slightly bent. Insurance company has been slow to pull finger out for approval even though assessed 1.5 wks ago. In my favour has given me more time for reasearch.

Have always intended adding ARB integrated steps and Brush Bar combo. Since the Bull Bar is getting replaced and new colour matching done im looking if we can afford it getting brush bars/steps at same time at my cost but getting painted in same mix as bar.

Can othet makes of Brush Bars with intergrated steps be used that cost less than ARB's inflated prices, ie Ironman or TJM. ?? With my ARB Delux Winch Bar??
Also as my lux has 6 airbags i know ARB had to get thete bars certified for air bag compatibility in models after 2010 with extra updated air bags, does anyone know if TJM or Ironman are certified rathet than just saying they compatible with 05-10 models ad not all in that year bracket has side air bags??

Thanks,
Ben.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
Oz Bruiser

Re: Brushbars/sidesteps questions

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 5:34 +0000

Hey Ben I cant be of much help sorry but Id just like to say that I just bent my ARB step which has dented my sill and it was only climbing over a tree. If you havnt bought the steps I would look at any other option if you doing much off roading. Im looking at doing wxactly what you are saying and have the ARB delux but Ill be going for a custom Rock slider and brush bar. Theres a fellow up at Landilo luke I think his got a 4x4 mod business. Buds a bit far away for me. Let us know how you go Id be interested, also mine is an sr 2010 so I dont have the side bags
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 6:17 +0000

Like Kyle said, the ARB steps are, well steps and not rock sliders. Depends really what you want to do with the car and what level of protection you want.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Oz Bruiser on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 7:12 +0000

Guessing times have changed then. Had ARB Steps with integrated brush bars on my old 92 lux. They didnt bend, slid over rocks etc, not that i was seriously rock crwling it and when i was in a major front ended, they held the bull bar where it was susposed to be to extent that after the impact the lux lifted up at the front end and moved my diff/axel back 6-7 inches on one side. Spose though it didnt have air bags off course.

Ultimatly i want it to be a capable tourer with Fun Stuff throwen in to. At the moment generally working 6 days and 2 kids under 2.5 years so thats main reason i have been concerned with "Air Bag Compliance ' in the event of an accident and i have limited time to get out currently so dont need for touring yet and only play is weekend one day fun, most likely around Lithgow.

I also know better gear out there but just wont get used, i think at current point in time but better to buy once and buy right.
Oz Bruiser

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 1:50 +0000

I used to have an ARB and Brushbars on my hilux earlier on......

the brush bars looks good but thats about it.

over corrugations you could see the front bar and sidesteps vibrate ALOT....and my front flares had rub marks on them front the brush bars.

Wasnt impressed with their flexiness and their added weight so got rid of them.

Just my experience with them.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Oz Bruiser on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 4:35 +0000

Thanks Max. Inthat case are there any good brushbars out there for our model lux's? Custom or otherwise.
Oz Bruiser

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 5:03 +0000

each to their own but if I was to get em again Id get a custom made set.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby adamw on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 2:22 +0000

I'm very happy with my TJM set, the only issue i've had is that I hit a tree stump on the support that comes out from the cross member to the steps, which pushed the steps back and in toward the car and now my door hits my scrub bar :( .... planning to fix it when i pull my finger out tho
adamw

Postby Noidea on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 6:33 +0000

Oz Bruiser wrote:Thanks Max. Inthat case are there any good brushbars out there for our model lux's? Custom or otherwise.

Not sure if you have figured your brush bar situation out yet mate but I have a set of Buds customs rock sliders and have integrated my ARB brush bars to fit them. I bent the ARB side steps which is why i had to get newer/stronger ones and hence why i went the Buds ones. I still wanted brush bars so instead of getting a custom set made from my ARB deluxe winch bar to my new sliders I had the old ones matched to the new sliders and they have come out really well IMHO. Much much much stronger and sturdier than the ARB steps!!
Noidea

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 4:34 +0000

have you got a pic Josh :?:
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Noidea on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 1:30 +0000

Not yet but i can take a few and put them up if you'd like??
Noidea

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 1:40 +0000

that would be good a couple of people have thought similar so would be good to see how its done
Kyle

kyle300exc

Postby Noidea on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 7:26 +0000

Well bottom line is that the arb brush bars are made from 1 3/4 inch pipe and the buds ones are made from 1 1/2 inch pipe so welding (which was my first idea) is out of the question. What we ended up doing was welding on another piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe to the buds sliders and then the arb bars slide over this add on and then i drilled through the lot and bolted it. And obviously it just bolts on as normal to the arb bullbar.
Noidea

Return to Exterior Mods