V6 Radiator

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

V6 Radiator

Postby Philos on Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:02 +0000

My 2012 V6 2 X 4 has been leaking coolant for the last few years - not much, just a cup or so every 4 or 5 months, so I didn't panic. I've kept an eye on the rate. Anyway.. today I finally discovered exactly where it's leaking from - top, rear of the radiator just below the upper radiator hose.

Is there any advantage buying a new radiator from the dealer as opposed to a reconditioned one? Worth the extra $$?

I'm thinking, whilst I do the radiator I may as well fit a serpentine belt as well. That needs doing too.

I'm pretty good with the tools, I just haven't done either of these 2 jobs before. Is there anything to watch out for? Any extra parts I might need apart from the obvious? I have the manual, so I'll closely follow that, I just thought there might be things not pointed out in that.

I'm relieved to find the weeping radiator tbh. For years I was thinking it might be a head gasket! So yeah, of course I'm glad it's not.

Any thoughts are welcome..

Cheers
Phil
Philos

Re: V6 Radiator

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 15 Aug 2023 1:37 +0000

As you say you're OK on the tools, have you considered attempting a repair on the current radiator?
Possibilities:
1. Plastic tank, soldering iron and (black) cable ties to do a plastic weld fix.
2. Copper tank, radiator repair shop for a torched soldering repair.
3. Aluminium core, replace the radiator.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Tue, 15 Aug 2023 4:13 +0000

Don't repair never last just buy a new one after market Adrad I have had a good run with.
Repair Don't last on plastic tanks emergency only to get home
dave g

Postby Philos on Tue, 15 Aug 2023 5:47 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:As you say you're OK on the tools, have you considered attempting a repair on the current radiator?
Possibilities:
1. Plastic tank, soldering iron and (black) cable ties to do a plastic weld fix.
2. Copper tank, radiator repair shop for a torched soldering repair.
3. Aluminium core, replace the radiator.

It looks like it's leaking from split line between the plastic top tank and what looks like an aluminium core. Because I've never taken this type of tank apart and resealed, I wouldn't be comfortable attempting it. I rack a few kms being from CQ.. I'd probably prefer to buy new or reconditioned.

Thanks for the ideas though.
Philos

Postby Philos on Tue, 15 Aug 2023 5:50 +0000

dave g wrote:Don't repair never last just buy a new one after market Adrad I have had a good run with.
Repair Don't last on plastic tanks emergency only to get home

Ok.. I'll look up Adrad thanks... There has to be some reconditioners in Rockhampton. I'm not in a huge rush. I might not even tackle the job until for a least a few weeks.
Philos

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 15 Aug 2023 9:13 +0000

Philos, from memory there was a Natrad in Gladstone last time I was there (it was.quite a while ago). What you're describing sounds like you need them to assess the possibility of a repair, but I'm suspecting it'll be a replacement.

Dave, I understand exactly what you're saying. The only experience I have with a plastic welded tank on a radiator was done as an experiment on a mates XA Falcon. He still swears blind that the plastic weld was the only part of the vehicle that was still holding together when he sold it.
One thing I have noticed is that many people don't put enough heat into the parent plastic and so they end up only putting a thin patch over the surface of the damaged area. To do it properly you have to melt the parent plastic approximately 75 to 90 percent deep into the material. You then need to replace the material you've burned out by pumping as much cable tie as you can into the void.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Wed, 16 Aug 2023 5:53 +0000

if your doing any of the serp belt pulleys the bolt for the pulley on the tensioner is a left hand thread.
241steve

Postby Philos on Thu, 17 Aug 2023 2:43 +0000

241steve wrote:if your doing any of the serp belt pulleys the bolt for the pulley on the tensioner is a left hand thread.

Thanks for that.. Easy trap to fall in to.

Much appreciated.
Philos

Return to Engines