Performance chip

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: VMN Diesel Performance Chip - Group buy

Postby Jack S on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:21 +0000

For people who are running this chip, what setting do you have it on?
Guess i am just looking for what the most popular setting is.......
Jack S

Postby helmut79 on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:32 +0000

Jack,

I have the chip installed, it comes pre-set to setting 2 which is the recommended setting but there is also 3 & 4 but these are only recommended for short term use e.g. tow etc, not for long term as EGT may exceed maximum (please correct me if I'm wrong on this Rod).

Have been most impressed with this setting and have not even looked to increase to 3 or 4 for a try.

Check my build out for where I mounted it

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby rodw on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 2:00 +0000

Jack, I think most just go with the default setting. I recommend guys up north to use the lowest setting in line with the manufacturer's recommendation for hotter climates. There is not much difference between the various levels when you look at the dyno charts.

They are in stock.
rodw

Postby schultzie on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 5:34 +0000

Well after reading 14 pages of this thread over a period of a week to find out that i cant fit it to my 05 lux im dissapointed, however im going to pull the cover off and intercooler just to see if i have the 2 wire injectors... whish i knew there was a power difference before buying the car last week :(
schultzie

Postby Jack S on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 5:56 +0000

schultize: i am pretty sure CHIP IT sells a power module for your 05 model, which you will get awesome increases from!
Jack S

Postby rosco01 on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 7:23 +0000

I had a full read of the LC site report on chipping diesel engines this afternoon and was very much impressed with the content and depth of the article.
We have the VMN chip - but as yet it remains in the package Rod sent me...... sorry Rod - haven't had the gumption or nerve to fit it.......

I note that in the above article, reference is made to the circuit location of the chip in regards to the ECU.
I expect that by the very location of our chip, this comes under the "between ECU and injector pump (which I believe should read - injector) "? and not within the category "inputs and ECU".

I am of the opinion that the VMN chip is however in the most preferred) category of "all sensor input controlled" - meaning, in my limited comprehension to mean = ECU maps appropriate timing/duration for conditions - which is far beyond the two previous categories of "basic fuel increase" and "duration increase".

My understanding is a little clouded as to what the VMN chip then does with the ECU output - I am guessing that it may in fact over-ride the ECU by increasing duration and altering timing...... and not in conjunction with the ECU's determined map. I know this probably sounds a bit gobbledy-gook - but in simpler terms - does the ECU read any alterations made by the VMN chip?

I expect (correct me if I'm wrong, Rod) that the VMN chip alters timing(s) of the injector as well as duration(s).

Reference in the article above also makes mention of a style of chip which cleverly controls all aspects of timing, duration and resultant upon vehicle/environment conditions - and adjusts injector output accordingly in conjuction with the ECU ..... these, I fear are well beyond the capability of the chip I am in possession of - the one (VMN) which also has a glowing (excuse pun) following within this forum - and undoubtedly - the Prado one......

Rod, as you post above, if I "were" to fit the VMN chip - is there any likelihood of EGT becoming an issue if I set it at position 1?
As you well know - we tow a maximum tow capacity caravan - and for very extended periods.
Our 'lux is an auto - and when in heavy terrain or wind, I select 3rd gear and at maximum - keep revs to 3k or under.
If the rig is comfortable to labour along in lock-up in "D"... I make use of the lower fuel consumption and noise (engine rpm)......this is when I fear EGT could become an issue.
With regards to the auto in "D" whilst towing, my local dealer tells me that this is perfectly OK - "as long as the transmission isn't going nuts changing gears".....

Sadly, they still will not fit an auto trans cooler for me.........

I am following another thread (scan guage)on this forum concerning the plug in monitor - to the best of my understanding, the company has not yet produced a unit which gives ATF temperature code reading.

Further to the main body above - does the ECU read EGT - and if so, from what location does it take its sensing....?

Sorry for the novel, folk - and sorry for the depth of these questions, Rod......

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 7:54 +0000

Rosco,

I know how you feel mate.

I would suggest you install a temp gauge to monitor the temperatures of the ATF.

That way, you can eliminate the guesswork and know exactly what's going on with the fluid.

I have a thread on the ATF temp gauge somewhere here.

BTW, Scangauge or Smartgauge will NOT give you the temp of the ATF.

It doesn't matter if you don't have an external cooler yet.

All chips will invariably raise EGT due to the more fuel going in thus the increase in power.

Even though I have a large external cooler, with the Unichip Dastek chip running at 20 pounds boost, I can easily touch 450 Celsius going uphill if I drive like a madman.

With the temperature gauge, I change to 3rd gear D3 or even D2 manually when going up long steep hills when I see the temperature go up to 100 Celsius and modulate the accelerator pedal accordingly.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby rodw on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 8:06 +0000

Rosco, EGT in any vehicle only becomes an issue on prolonged pulls up hill with the engine labouring. eg. when it is lugging. I have not had my van on the road enough yet to know what happens to EGT with the VMN chip.

The Lcool article you refer on Toyota chips to is an interesting read and the independent injection timing of the VMN chip appears to be their preferred method which seems to be confirmed by the fact that no VMN users have reported a limp home issue that can be attributed to the chip.

Lcool is referring to the other power chips that override the injection pump settings to increase pressure on the common rail. the VMN chip goes between the ECU and the individual injectors so it changes the signals to the injectors regarding timing so the injectors stay open longer and fuel pressure is not affected. That means the ECU does not know it is there which is normal for most chips.

The ECU does not read EGT at all, you have to add a sensor and gauge. There is a pic on my buildup of where the exhaust shop fitted one to my factory exhaust post turbo. We welded on a nut, but there are clamp on probe fittings.

In reference to the ATF temperature, there is a separate ECU for the Tranny and while it is reported on the OBDII diagnostics (It basically just says "hello"), it does not publish the ATF temperature on the public interface and keeps its data to "hidden" proprietary to Toyota internals so nobody has come up with a plug in ATF sensor (but VMN do have a plug in water temp sensor but it is untested on the Hilux.

schultzie wrote:Well after reading 14 pages of this thread over a period of a week to find out that i cant fit it to my 05 lux im dissapointed, however im going to pull the cover off and intercooler just to see if i have the 2 wire injectors... whish i knew there was a power difference before buying the car last week :(

Sorry about that Shultzie, I am working on it but slowly. I hope to have a solution and time has been an issue recently due to web site upgrade at http://www.vehiclemods.net.au

Jack S wrote:schultize: i am pretty sure CHIP IT sells a power module for your 05 model, which you will get awesome increases from!

But only by altering the fuel pressure by my understanding.

The article Rosco is referring to is this one http://www.lcool.org/technical/elec_die ... uning.html in case you have not found it. Gogling "Lcool Chip" usually finds it!

Brendon also has some good advice. And the ECU takes corrective action based on the water temp. Brendon, where is your ATF sensor? Do you pick it up from the ATF cooler line?

Finally, if any of you guys with the August 2006 and on model, you can get the VMN chip here:

http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/index.php ... t&Itemid=4

(The link may change in the next day or so as we finish off the store):

And there is special mates rates for Forum members for a limited time. Enter a coupon code of NEWHLXCHIP and you'll receive a $50 discount.

Rod
rodw

Postby rosco01 on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:07 +0000

Thanks Brendon and Rod,
Scangauge on ATF - yes, as I suspected....... I was hoping that the company could access the ATF and thereby afford me a readout preparatory to the ATT light coming on.....
I am very keen to purchase one of these gauges - as I, like all others - do not have great faith in the coolant temperature gauge - mine does not "move" other than to rise after cold starting - and fall on coolout.......

I believe my practice of attempting to hold lock-up is best policy - but, with a great blasted aluminium parachute in tow - this is not possible in very strong headwinds at substantial speed nor on moderate inclines......
I believe the fluid would also be heated on engine/trans braking - but never, did I mention "never"? use 1st gear unless stopped (or nearly) then engaging........
3rd and 2nd as engine braking with the van in tow are petty much "ambit".... but the engine rpm does increase and I expect saves some of the friction braking..........

Rod, thankyou for your honest reply.
Yes, I have seen the work you had performed to fit a post turbo sensor for EGT monitoring and when (not if) I fit the VMN chip - I will definitely take proceedings prior to running the chip.
I believe when running around "light truck" that there is most likely very little chance of engine damage when set on position 1 or 2..... but, as you can appreciate - we tow for extended periods (four hour legs) covering long distance (sometimes into headwinds for the entire period) - and I would most certainly want to know that EGT is not approaching that for which Toyota have programmed the ECU to make reductions in output.

I also thank you for your information on the programming of the VMN chip in relation to the LCool document.
I am comforted to learn that you suggest it alters both timing and duration of the injector.
I also appreciate that it is as I read the document - not linked back to the ECU - ie, the ECU does not know what the VMN chip is doing to injector discharge......
I do not know if such a chip is available which does....... but this, in my opinion would be the ultimate in diesel tuning......... it would probably negate any concern for EGT (predicted) and simply reduce power output once a pre-determined prediction is reached...

Thankyou once again Brendon and Rod - when our warranty (if my dealer doesn't relent to my persistent requests to fit a trans cooler) expires - I can assure you that a cooler will be fitted to our little truck - and if not by then - the VMN chip and EGT sensor........

frats,
Rosco

ps - can members on this forum suggest which scangauge to fit..... I am leading towards the scangauge and not the smartgauge at this point in time........
rosco01

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 9:29 +0000

Rosco,

You're welcome mate.

Now, Scangauge or Smartgauge?

If your Lux is 2007 onwards, you can use both brands. Mine is a 2006 and the Scangauge won't work on it so I had only one choice which was Smartgauge.

Scangauge looks better IMHO as it's slimmer. Scangauge also has extensive fuel consumption parameters if I remember correctly whereas Smartgauge's is very elementary.

However, Smartgauge has one function which Scangauge doesn't have.
Smartgauge has an alarm which will warn you of high engine coolant temperature, low battery voltage which you can preset by yourself.
Owners of Scangauge please correct me if I am wrong though.

Besides that, they all have similar features.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby rosco01 on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 2:06 +0000

Thanks again, Brendon.
Ours is a mar '09 Thailand build - it can take either.
I did a bit of a reckie on the Smart/scan Gauge site just after posting on the forum and it would appear that I will most likely opt for the Scangauge...... it has some additional features and software affording possible future readouts (if they manage to unlock or find the codes).......
Yes, it is slimmer 132 mm wide, 38 mm high and 25 mm deep - I expect this will be far too large for our "unused" ashtray aperture.... so, most likely place it on top of the steering column housing - below the speedo'tacho.......

I note that it remains connected to the OBD11 port under the steering column - surely this will not compromise any of the vehicles parameters in operation?....

I will be a lot happier when I can see what the EGT's are whilst towing...... and I note that neither unit will indicate this or ATF temperature...... pity, I would have preferred only those two if it meant going without the others.....

I note that Prado, with the very same engine - has an increased output ....... and is plated to tow 225 kg's more......
Logic would suggest to me that the same engine in our vehicles (and mine still has factory standard alloy wheels/tyres) would be understressed to some extent even at maximum power (not necessarily maximum throttle.....)
Chipping the engine, however - would probably exceed those standard Prado tuning parameters - and I would most certainly want to monitor EGT's in this situation...

Thanks again, Brendon - you probably have come to realise - and suffer.... I tend to post novels.
I believe the devil is in the detail and far too often people incorrectly mis-interpret short and simple statements.
None of us read material in exactly the same manner as it is written..... at least not on the first attempt.... unless it is written very cleverly....... sadly, this is becoming a very rare occasion...

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby VMN on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:36 +0000

Rosco, the OBDII port is a read only port designed to interface with the ECU bus. There are therefore no issues to worry about other than that devices can draw power 24/7as there is a constant power source on the diagnostics port. I have heard of small car batteries being flattened if a reader is left plugged in for a couple of days.

However, the Hilux has a big battery and I think the scan gauge is smart enough to power off if there are no signals elsewhere. I've tried to flatten my Hilux battery this way without any success at all!

Oh and thanks for the two forum members for today taking up the special coupon offer on the VMN chip posted above. Their VMN "wings" are on their way..... Stocks of chips at this price are limited so don't miss out.

Rod
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:46 +0000

Rosco,

No dramas mate.

I like the way you think. Very analytical thought processes......

:)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby rosco01 on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:14 +0000

Thanks again, Rod and Brendon....

Rod, I will have to remember to remove the plug when we "lay up" the little truck.
This occurs for durations usually of a week ...... we have far too much "rolling stock" in the driveway at present to use the little truck as a runaround..... shunting to be avoided wherever possible.....
Our 'lux is enjoying a wonderful life at present - best possible scenarios - as a day tourer or tug....... and when not in use - locked away out of the weather.

Brendon - too much damage and "baggage" from previous encounters has "educated" me to post this way..... I find it easier to throw in a few extra lines than entertain a to and fro barrage of "you said this......" when my wording, if read correctly - did not.....

frats,
Rosco

ps - about to order Scangauge...... any suggestions or warnings.... after receiving it?
rosco01

Postby rosco01 on Tue, 08 Mar 2011 6:14 +0000

- have just ordered Scangauge 2 - ph 1300 796 960 - $194.95 including postage and insurance.

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby luxtc on Wed, 31 Aug 2011 1:07 +0000

been awhile since anyone has posted anything on this thread...

How's everybody's chips going since your install??
luxtc

Postby 09lux on Wed, 31 Aug 2011 4:02 +0000

Had mine in for over a year and a half never turned it off. Love it. No issuses. Usually have it on setting 2.

Greg.
09lux

Postby helmut79 on Wed, 31 Aug 2011 5:14 +0000

Mines been in for a year and no problems. Set and forget
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

VMN Diesel Performance Chip - Group buy

Postby Hiluxry on Wed, 31 Aug 2011 5:57 +0000

Had mine for 10,000 ks, no probs.
Hiluxry

VMN Diesel Performance Chip - Group buy

Postby schultzie on Sun, 04 Sep 2011 3:42 +0000

Any fix for us poor buggers with 05 models
schultzie

PreviousNext