Performance chip

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: VMN Diesel Performance Chip - Group buy Launched

Postby Boof on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 6:18 +0000

dermie75 wrote:
Boof wrote:On the exhaust issue I have had several cars with exhausts from Beaudesert Exhausts and they have always performed fantastically. If these guys say 2,3/4 is the way to go I would believe them, I will no doubt be getting them to do the new on on the Lux also.

What difference will a 1/4" make? I've heard it said b4 that it's not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean that matters. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lot over exhausting can change the torque curve among other things, causing you to lose low down torque, bigger is not always better with exhausts ;)

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Re: VMN Diesel Performance Chip - Group buy ** January Special**

Postby rodw on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 8:48 +0000

bansheebuzz wrote:rod - all the 120kw and 126kw vehicles have 2 wire injectors, is the only connections your module makes is inline with the injectors? (and battery of coarse) if so then it may work on earlier models but then again it may not. the ecu, injector driver, turbo module and wiring harness are all differant from the 05-06 to the 06-on. I know other companies have differant units for the two outputs but then again most of them plug into the fuel rail

from what I understand, becasue it plugs into the injector wiring it is a pretty generic unit for the D4D engine provided it has the two wire connector. There are a few D4D's over here which don't have a direct match in Europe (eg, the 2.5 litre Hiace D4D engine). The feeling has been that they are not listed as they did not end up in Europe but the chip would most likely still work with them. With or without an intercooler, the chip will be safe and limit the performance increase to a safe level.

In answer to your question. Yes the chip only wires to the injectors and the plugs look like this:

(let me know if this image dissappears as it is not stored on Photobucket)

Boof wrote:
dermie75 wrote:
Boof wrote:On the exhaust issue I have had several cars with exhausts from Beaudesert Exhausts and they have always performed fantastically. If these guys say 2,3/4 is the way to go I would believe them, I will no doubt be getting them to do the new on on the Lux also.

What difference will a 1/4" make? I've heard it said b4 that it's not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean that matters. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lot over exhausting can change the torque curve among other things, causing you to lose low down torque, bigger is not always better with exhausts ;)

I had a feeling somebody told me the turbo outlet was only 2.25" so the 2.75" exhaust is quite large by comparison.
rodw

Postby bansheebuzz on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 4:33 +0000

theoretically you should not have a problem rod as the earlier d4d engines with injector problems are being replaced with the current injectors, so they will work on the same voltage etc. so i really cant see a problem, best test one first thou to see how it performs, you wont hurt anything giving it a go
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby Surfseeker on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 5:47 +0000

Some feedback for anyone interested..
Got my VMN chip today (Thanks Rod).
Started by reading the instructions...always good. The instructions were crystal clear to the point of being Idiot proof which is fine by me! The clear instructions gave me the confidence to tackle something which although very simple, probably has the potential to go a bit pear shaped if you stuff it up.
Before starting I fitted a on/off switch hidden in the glove box as suggeted by Rod. I intend only to turn the unit off for servicing.
I also paid a visit to Bunnings and found some self adhesive velcro to mount the unit to the top of the fuse box. Unbelievably the velcro was absolutely perfect in size (almost spookily so!) straight out of the packet leaving a perfect 3mm or so all round the unit. Things are never this easy!
You could easily fit this unit in 20 min or less. I took a bit longer because I spent time positioning and fixing the loom perfectly so it touched neither the intercooler or the top of the motor. I was probably being over fussy but I was thinking that I only want to do this once and don't want any problems caused but heat/vibration.
The loom was the perfect length to install the unit where I planned and even the battery leads seemed to be exactly the right length with the correct size of fitting on the end. By this time I had worked out that all this was not just good luck (apart from the velcro). The kit is properly engineered. The quality is also top shelf..again giving me confidence.
But what you really want to know is how does it perform?
In a word...Brilliantly!
I started the engine and listened intently. I have a fair degree of mechanical sympathy and I would back myself to pick up any anomolly.
The motor idled perfectly. If anything it is very slightly smoother than before.
When you drive it there is extra power available everywhere. Very noticable indeed and remember I am on the lowest power setting. I do not know (who does!) exactly what the chip is doing, but from the drivers seat the impression is that the turbo spools up much more quickly and stays spinning for longer. Clearly it is not that simple but that is the best way to descibe how it feels when you drive it. The car is decidedly smoother on accelleration and in all honesty sounds better with the chip, which was not what I expected at all. I can't speak about economy because I have only driven the car 100kms or so and it would be fair to say that I am driving like a bit of a peanut currently just to feel the extra urge that the car now has. So my inpression so far is...as I said...brilliant.
One thing did occur to me though. If you cut through all the B/S you are not talking about a day v's night difference in power. I bring this up because you might not want to pay more money for a chip which does less. In all honesty if you had just forked out $1500 for a chip which produced less power than this (and is probably not engineered as well) I think you might well be dissapointed.
At its current price point this chip is an absolute bargain (IMHO).
Get one.....even if you have to sell a kidney to do it.
Surfseeker

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 4:38 +0000

got my kidney and a slightly used liver on ebay at the moment....if i get what im asking ill SAS the lux, if not, then ill get this chip instead :shock: :P
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Surfseeker on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 9:30 +0000

Rod,
I thought I saw mentioned that you were looking at air filters to use in conjunction with the chip.
The obvious choice is K&N but from what I have read here some indicate that they might be more of a drama than a benefit.
Your thoughts on these or do you have somethiing else in the pipeline?
Surfseeker

Postby rodw on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 1:09 +0000

Surfseeker wrote:Rod,
I thought I saw mentioned that you were looking at air filters to use in conjunction with the chip.
The obvious choice is K&N but from what I have read here some indicate that they might be more of a drama than a benefit.
Your thoughts on these or do you have somethiing else in the pipeline?

Scott, I did purchase a K&N filter from Repco myself. However, there is a school of thought you should not run them offroad. To tell you the truth I have not noticed any appreciable difference, but I think they will be afairly mainteneance intensive offroad.
rodw

Postby D4D Hilux on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 5:14 +0000

i used to run a K&N filter on my race quad, shit all over the standard filter, lower maintenance and more power, however with the paper filters in cars a k&n will require more attention, but i honestly believe any filter that has the added benefit of a bit of oil in the filter itself will be far better off-road in dusty conditions...... problem is people are lazy and don't look after them the way they should be.
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby Jack S on Sat, 06 Mar 2010 2:29 +0000

Rod.
have re-read the whole thread and sorry if what i am about to ask has been covered but there is alot of reading :geek: ..

anyway just wondering if the chip has changed the fuel acconomy for the better or whats the go?
some numbers would be great!
Jack S

Postby rodw on Sat, 06 Mar 2010 7:35 +0000

Jack. Hard to say. I measured 7% mprovement on my first tank then next tank was different the other way. tonymtber reckons there is no diference in fuel economy with the chip and without based on his testing so I would go along with that.
rodw

Postby Jack S on Sun, 07 Mar 2010 6:12 +0000

so basically there is no fuel improvement as a possitive but is there any damage in feul ecconomy with the chip because its giving you more power and the rest?
or everything just staded the same......
Jack S

Postby Surfseeker on Sun, 07 Mar 2010 7:06 +0000

Jack,
i have recently fitted this Chip and would go along with what Rod has just said regarding economy. Around town I noticed a small improvemnet but nothing to get to excited about.

However.....I tow a camper trailer from time to time.
I have been very dissapointed with the econony of the hilux when towing. My econony would go from an average of around 10.5 litres/100kms (around town) to 19 litrers/100kms (on the open rd!!!) Almost double!!! I felt that the vehicle was having to work very hard to keep up a steady 100kmh even though the trailer only weighs 1400KG. Not good....
After installing the chip....totally different story. The vehicle now stays at cruising speed much more easily and fuel econony has increased massively. So much so i can hardly believe it and to be honest i am even a bit concerned about sharing the results because they sound like B/S. To put this into perspective, fuel econony for me is not really about the cost of the fuel itself, more the extra range that lower fuel economy gives you. Where previously I was getting arount 300kms per tank (towing) I now get around 470Kms!!! unbelievable. So (if you can follow my thinking!) for me the chip has been like having an extra 30 litres of diesel in the tank...except I am not paying for it!

So the extra power manifests itself as smaller throttle openings and increased range through better economy

Good stuff.
Surfseeker

Re: VMN Diesel Performance Chip - Group buy

Postby rodw on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 7:21 +0000

Just thought I'd update this thread to say that the January special is officially over now. RRP price is now $995 but discounts are still available for forum members but the ongoing forum price will be higher than the $915 delivered price in the January special.

And for the record, if you want one, you can go to my web site shown here:

And here is the link if you are too lazy to type it in:
http://www.vehiclemods.net.au

You will find my contact details on the Contact web page.
rodw

Postby D4D for ME on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:44 +0000

Sorry to ask Rod, but I'm too damn lazy to read the whole thread. I've been looking at a power up module for my 07 SR Manual, and untill I read about te VMN one was dead set sold on a Steinbauer. I've got two, nah three questions for you.
1. Does your chip work by upping fuel rail pressure ( like DP chip ) or by altering injection timing and duration,
( like Steinbauer)??
2. What will it cost to get me one to Orange NSW?
3. In your honest and ( I realise that this may be difficult :| ) as unbiased opinion as possible how do the two compare? Also I realise that the VMN unit is around 2/3 of the cost of the Steinbauer.

Appoligies if these topics have been covered earlier,
Cheers, Nick
The beatings will continue untill the morale improves.
D4D for ME

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:46 +0000

D4D for ME wrote:Sorry to ask Rod, but I'm too damn lazy to read the whole thread. I've been looking at a power up module for my 07 SR Manual, and untill I read about te VMN one was dead set sold on a Steinbauer. I've got two, nah three questions for you.
1. Does your chip work by upping fuel rail pressure ( like DP chip ) or by altering injection timing and duration,
( like Steinbauer)??
2. What will it cost to get me one to Orange NSW?
3. In your honest and ( I realise that this may be difficult :| ) as unbiased opinion as possible how do the two compare? Also I realise that the VMN unit is around 2/3 of the cost of the Steinbauer.

Appoligies if these topics have been covered earlier,
Cheers, Nick

Ive just installed one in my truck so i can answer the first two for Rod if you like..

1 / - No, its an ECU electronic unit like the Steinbauer. Not like DP Chip etc ..
2 / - (read two posts up).. $995 RRP less forum discount... thats delivered..
3 / - Havent driven with a steinbauer, so cant answer that one.. I'd guess though that performance would be very similar.

I am also going to get mine dyno'd next week sometime so will be interested in the output figures to compare..

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by Steve9R on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:14 +0000, edited 4 times in total.
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rosco01 on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:57 +0000

Steve, I'd be very interested in another set of dyno figures - I have absolute faith in this product.... Rod put a lot of work into it.... and in every application we have heard of - all results have been more than positive......

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby rodw on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:08 +0000

Nick, yes this thread has got a bit long in the tooth. I will try and consolidate it into a new thread in the VMN sponor forum once I get back from Coffs. There are some customer comments on my web site though whihc have mostly been pulled out of this thread.

I can't compare it with other chips I am sorry. The only other chipped car I have driven was in Green Hilux Guy's Old car. I think GHG and I both agreed that the VMN one was superior to it. Sorry I can't mention the brand because last time I did, I got a letter from their solicitor :evil: but it was not a Steinbauer.

This VMN chip wires into each injector like the Steinbauer does so it does not play with fuel pressures. I understand that the Steinbauer also picks up a feed from the throttle position sensor. The VMN does not have this feed.

I think the Steinbauer is a very good chip and I think it is up to you guys to decide if it is worth the premium over the VMN chip I sell.
rodw

Postby D4D for ME on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 9:46 +0000

Mate, in my opinion unless the Steinbauer gives another 50% power and torque over the VMN unit it's propably not worth it. I presume you can provide a tax invioce for the purchase?
The beatings will continue untill the morale improves.
D4D for ME

Postby rodw on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 4:12 +0000

D4D for ME wrote:Mate, in my opinion unless the Steinbauer gives another 50% power and torque over the VMN unit it's propably not worth it. I presume you can provide a tax invioce for the purchase?

Of course. VMN is registered for GST so it is all good
rodw

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:29 +0000

Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Engines