Tuning Tips and Tunes for Chipit.

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Postby LKY on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:17 +0000

Hi,
I thought this would be a good topic and to pick up some tuning tips from others,

I have a Chipit with EGT monitor on my 08 auto also a 3" tipan exhaust, This set up is unbelievable.
The Chipit is on standard tune (tune 4 folder 2)

My question is how much better could it go with some fine tuning to the chipit? This is where I need some help,
I can't get it to connect to the computer to change tunes, I don't have a lap top, but have tried 2 different computers ones got windows 7 the other xp, three different serial port to usb cables they all seem to load correctly the wife and the niece helping, done eveything the paper work said to do, tried both computers out in the car port, and then the chip out of the car and in the computer room hooked up to 12volts, I've even made up an extention lead to run from the chip in the car through the window to the computer in the house, I've checked all wires and cables for continuity.
4 phone calls to Chipit, they where very helpfull, and the out come is to send it back to get them to check it, so just before I send it to get checked I thought this might be worth doing. So has anyone got any tips?

What tunes have people found work best on there hilux?
Last edited by LKY on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:21 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
LKY

Re: Tuning Tips and Tunes for Chipit.

Postby Bushbasher on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 4:19 +0000

All I do to change the tune is- Install thumb drive, click on tunes folder and then click on macro tuner. Then change the tune.
You will have to go into the device manager and change the comm port to a lower number that is not already used, I think mine was around 288 or something stupid, it needs to be below 11.
Once this is done load up the macro tuner and go to the comms menu, select the port you have set, I think mine is 8. This will engage the program allowing you change the tune.
It took me quite abit to nut it out, I'm pretty much a computer retard, but I got there in the end!
If you need more info pm me and I can set up my laptop and walk you through it.
Very happy with mine. I did the fuel rail mod as well. I love it on folder 3 tune 5, it blows some smoke, but has some balls!!
Normally run it on folder 3 tune 2.
Hope this helps abit.
Cheers
Steve
Bushbasher

Postby LKY on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 7:44 +0000

Thanks Steve, it good to know that someone is using a higher tune and the fuel rail mod, does that affect fuel economy much?
I've done all the changing comm ports stuff i settled on 8 aswell because thats the one they had in the instuctions but have tried others, when i open the macro tuner the red bar in the lower right corner says not connected.
I do believe the problem is in my computer or my computer skills both of which are a bit dodgey.
Ive even had the chip apart to check the continuity at all the solder joints they are all good and the chip works well on the standard tune. This to me elimminates any problems within the chip, The thing i'd like to check is the location of the three wire that go into the 9 pin serial port plug on the connection cable, with the cover of this plug removed there are two rows of pins the top having 5, the wires i have are from left
white, unused pin, yellow, red, unused pin. the bottom row of 4 pins is unused, Can some one confirm the location of these wires Please!
LKY

Postby Bushbasher on Sat, 02 Jul 2011 1:23 +0000

Ok. Once you hook it all up and open the macrotuner. Open the comms menu then exit. It should connect and the status bar turn green.
Try that. If that doesn't work it must be the lead.
Cheers
Steve
Bushbasher

Postby mandino on Sat, 02 Jul 2011 1:59 +0000

Maybe try and link the chip to your computer via serial port only. (If your PC has one)

That way you can eliminate the serial - USB converter.
mandino

Postby LKY on Sat, 02 Jul 2011 6:12 +0000

You little ripper, Thanks Steve that made it work.
I'll be having a beer for you at 9am monday morning, as I work week-ends.
When the instuctions said to click on the comm port and check the port number I was going into the device manager and doing this.
Tune 5 folder 2 is loaded and awaiting a test drive this will have to wait untill 10am monday,
just after I have Steve's beer! Thanks again mate, Cheers, Richard.

Bushbasher wrote:Ok. Once you hook it all up and open the macrotuner. Open the comms menu then exit. It should connect and the status bar turn green.
Try that. If that doesn't work it must be the lead.
Cheers
Steve
LKY

Postby Bushbasher on Sun, 03 Jul 2011 6:20 +0000

No worries mate, glad I could help. It took me some nutting out too. :D
Cheers
Steve
Bushbasher

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 2:11 +0000

Just a quick tip for those of you programming or selective various tunes for your ChipIt -

Spoke to Rob today and he explained to me that the difference between Folder 1 and Folder 2 tunes when run with the EGT Controller is that when the EGT Gauge reaches its limit, if you have programmed a Folder 2 Tune the EGT will back the Tune thats set in there right off back to stock tune.

Whereas when you program the same Tune from Folder 1, once you reach the Max EGT temp, the tune will only back off one tune level only.

Just thought it was a tip worth sharing.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Swinny on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 6:37 +0000

what has everyone set there EGT controller max limit at??
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 7:38 +0000

I set my Max to 650 and my min to 500
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy-Lux on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 9:27 +0000

I run my auto lux on folder 2 custom tune 2 i think it is .I just call it tune 7 with a unifilter and stock exhaust and it moves along very well
I should of listened to the mrs and just bought the hilux instead of the triton 2yrs ago. oh well better late then never
Diddy-Lux

Postby LKY on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:30 +0000

Mine is on 575 max and 500 min. The hottest it's been it 523 that's on custom tune 2 folder 2 loaded going up a mountain range. I was out the creek driving in sand trying to get it hotter and it didn't go over the recorded max of 523 but I stopped for a look around (piss stop) leaving the engine running and after about 30 seconds of idling it stopped, after restarting it the MIL was on so I headed home to put the scanner on to check the code and it said a fuel rail leak (p0093 I think can't remember for shore) after checking the rail for a leak it dawned on me that the engine simply ran out of fuel, time to put the fuel limiter mod disc in and start playing in folder 3.
LKY

Postby Bushbasher on Sat, 13 Aug 2011 4:36 +0000

Once you go to folder 3 you'll never look back! :D
Bushbasher

Postby LKY on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:59 +0000

Hi Steve, did you have any difficulties getting the limiter switch off to put in the mod disc? Can you remember what size the ring spanner was and what did you use to seal the thread with? Any chance you know the fuel rail presser before and after the disc went in? Sorry for sounding a bit nosey M8. Thax. :lol:

For anyone that wants to know my extension cord through the window works good, I made it up from an extension cord to plug into the three wire plug at the chip then run it through the window to the computer.
Last edited by LKY on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 8:01 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
LKY

Postby Freaked_Out on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 4:22 +0000

My Chip has been ordered - so how suitable is the tune which is on it when it's delivered? If I drive it around town, then the highway and come back from the country with a load of firewood in the back will the same tune cover those things or does a mild load need a different tune?

Thanks for advice.
Freaked_Out

Postby old_fella on Wed, 09 May 2012 1:32 +0000

Hello I am trying to change the tune on the chip but when i plug the usb adapter in i get and error th at says, This device cannot start. (Code 10) . Has anyone else had this issue if so how do you fix it?
old_fella

Postby Alby on Wed, 09 May 2012 1:44 +0000

old_fella wrote:Hello I am trying to change the tune on the chip but when i plug the usb adapter in i get and error th at says, This device cannot start. (Code 10) . Has anyone else had this issue if so how do you fix it?

Are you using a good quality USB lead? ,I remember when I bought mine he was keen to sell me their lead with it as he said they have a lot of issues with aftermarket leads not connecting up properly, just a thought, I have never played about with mine so can't help you other than that.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby old_fella on Wed, 09 May 2012 1:49 +0000

Im just using the lead that it come with and installed the drivers that were on the usb chip, It doesnt show the comm port in the macro tuner, when you go into device manager it shows the thing is plugged in to the computer but has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to it and when you go in the properties that error is there
old_fella

Postby ktm300 on Wed, 09 May 2012 2:13 +0000

old_fella wrote:Im just using the lead that it come with and installed the drivers that were on the usb chip, It doesnt show the comm port in the macro tuner, when you go into device manager it shows the thing is plugged in to the computer but has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to it and when you go in the properties that error is there

Give the guys from Chip It a call
ktm300

Postby mattz on Wed, 09 May 2012 2:57 +0000

Or try plugging into a differant port on the computer.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BOY AND A MAN IS THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS.......
mattz

Next

Return to Engines