LED BAR Lights

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

LED BAR Lights

Postby H20PRF on Tue, 21 Sep 2010 8:18 +0000

Howdy All,

I had the pleasure of seeing a 40 inch LED Light Bar on a F250 the other night, all i can say was the LED bar turned night into Day........ the LED bar is around the $1579 mark but i hear the prices are dropping all the time, and FYI the LF XGT HID's didnt even come close to the light bar.... in Light and distance.

www.GENR8.net.au is the Website

The also do other types of LEd's very very interesting stuff and they do not use major power at all.....

Cheers

Daz
H20PRF

Re: LED BAR Lights

Postby toyboata on Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:09 +0000

I've been checking the LED light bars out lately too.....and they do look AWESOME!!
Snake Racing are selling the Rigid Industries LED light bars and they look like probably the best units on the market....$1350 for 40inch and $1500 for 50inch plus a heap of other sizes.......personally i'm very keen....would look the shit on top of me rollbars!

http://www.snakeracing.com.au/e-series-LED-lights.html
toyboata

Postby hilux88 on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 6:49 +0000

They are definitely growing in popularity. Got told by arb that they too will have their own led bar range out by the end of the year.
hilux88

Postby ultimate on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 6:59 +0000

I've been looking at bringing some of these in for a while now. There's a lot on the market now and it's taken a while to find any that I really wanted to promote. One of our distributors in the Middle East has his own range which so far look to be the best. I've had them inspected by a few auto electricians and lighting experts and they are all blown away by the quality.

Designed for On and Off Road use, each weatherproof low profile light bar produces tremendous light output, with a 12\'\' bar producing 3600 lumens, 100 more lumens than a 35 watt HID while drawing only 4 amps and boasting an astonishing 50,000 hour life span. AEV LED Light Bars are available in euro beam pattern and with input voltages of 12 or 9 - 32 Volts DC.

Available in 52", 42", 32", 22", 18", 12", 8"and 6"

I'm still working out the exact pricing and will look at a group buy if there's enough interest.

The Ultimate Suspension has been involved with driving lights a fair bit over the years. We were the Australian distributor of PIAA which was the leading brand in driving lights and invented a lot of the technology we have today. From that experience we know what to look for in off-road lights and these LED bars tick all the boxes.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Noidea on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 7:04 +0000

Ill be watching this thread with interest :D
Noidea

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 7:07 +0000

H20PRF wrote:Howdy All,

I had the pleasure of seeing a 40 inch LED Light Bar on a F250 the other night, all i can say was the LED bar turned night into Day........ the LED bar is around the $1579 mark but i hear the prices are dropping all the time, and FYI the LF XGT HID's didnt even come close to the light bar.... in Light and distance.

http://www.GENR8.net.au is the Website

The also do other types of LEd's very very interesting stuff and they do not use major power at all.....

Cheers

Daz

Daz,

thats not what the reviews Ive been reading say about the LED Bars....from what Ive read the LED bars are second to none in light intenisty and clarity upto about 3-400metres...after that it just stops...dead.

The Lightforce, both standard and HID's still have the edge in longer distance penetration....

am happy to proven wrong, its just whatIve read so far about them....still would love an LED bar thou :twisted:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Argon on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 7:19 +0000

LED's Are like computers at the moment they just about double in brightness every 18 months.
Argon

Postby hobo on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 7:50 +0000

these are 'noice', very 'noice'...
wouldnt last one night around where I live 'midnight spares mongrels'

http://www.litestorm.com.au/driving.htm
http://www.litestorm.com.au/worklights.htm

ultimate wrote: From that experience we know what to look for in off-road lights and these LED bars tick all the boxes.

depending on the mood of a copper, i'm guessing (in nsw) all 3 lights on that jeep could technically be classed as 'illegal'
hobo

Postby mann on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 8:09 +0000

very keen on these....means my car will still fit in the garage if i mount one of these instead of spotlights :)
mann

Postby bairdy380 on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 8:21 +0000

Just watching and waiting on this technology....the hype is all positive....they are on the "list", but doing a lot of homework first
bairdy380

Postby ultimate on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 9:13 +0000

depending on the mood of a copper, I'm guessing (in NSW) all 3 lights on that Jeep could technically be classed as 'illegal'

Unfortunately our laws are bit too strict to bring in all the products. At the moment the light bars are ok but I think it will be a long time before we will ever see LED Headlights like on the Jeep (even though they are amazing). It will be interesting to see if the transport authorities will make any restrictions on the LED light bars. We have been told by the RTA that they are okay yet the laws regarding roof mounted lights say they have to be in pairs with a maximum of 4 lights. The LED light bars can be seen as either having dozens individual lights or as being on whole single unit. Either way a single roof mounted light bar is technically outside the regulations.

The LED light bars do have a major advantage though as being ideal for mining and hazardous applications due to limited power draw and cool operation. I've already had requests on these lights for installations in explosive environments because they are a lot safer the halogen bulbs. Maybe OH&S will back the LED light bars and we will see them as standard accessories.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 9:16 +0000

would love one across the roof of the hilux but damn! they expensive! :shock:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Tunnel Rat on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 6:12 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:thats not what the reviews Ive been reading say about the LED Bars....from what Ive read the LED bars are second to none in light intenisty and clarity upto about 3-400metres...after that it just stops...dead.

The Lightforce, both standard and HID's still have the edge in longer distance penetration....

am happy to proven wrong, its just whatIve read so far about them....still would love an LED bar thou :twisted:

Max is spot on here I think they still have a bit more to do before they are up there with HID but they do have their place.

I have had a 30" & 10" E series Rigid Industries light bar. I still got the 10" it’s going to make a good reversing light.
I sold the 30" two days after testing it down my brother’s farm. The 30" E series RI did not come close to outperforming my two spread beam Hella Rallye 4000's with 55w HID kits. I mounted it on the top of the hoop of my shara bar for testing.
The main problems I found was it loses way to much light with distance even with the wide spread part of the light it had great light intensity up close but it loses it so fast. And the 22" of spot beam was very disappointing like I said the Hella spread beams where much better with the distance. The 30” bar had 4” of spread beam LED’s on each end and 22” of spot beam LED” in the middle.
My 10” E series Rigid Industries light bar is a spot beam. I only paid $360 wholesale for it but I still feel I got court up in all the hype and wasted my money. With both my Hella’s on you can turn the 10” on & off and not even see the light coming on or going off they just over power it totally.

Daz I am lost how you could of found the LED's better than a set of XGT HID's for distance as my bothers XGT smash my Hella spread beams for distance and my Hellas made the LED’s look like candles in distance steaks .

Ok I know some will think I will favor HID lights over LED’s but I was planning on selling Rigid Industries LED’s after last year’s Sema and still may in the future as I still think they have their place. I have a good supplier in the US and would have no problem retailing them a lot cheaper than they are sold for over here.

The good points I like about the E series Rigid Industries light bars are they are a very good quality made light very solid they will take a lot of abuse. The low power draw is great for bikes and any other vehicles that a low power drawing light is important for.
The instant full power is also a good point of the LED's but the HID now are only 3-5sec behind them. My 10" is about on par with my HID on start up as far as power goes so no gain with instant power there. But the 30" smash the HID's on start up power but then lost the gain when the HID were warm.
If you use your lights on narrow tight winding roads most of the time then LED’s will work great but for our long open roads not for me at the moment.

Tunnel Rat

Postby H20PRF on Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:37 +0000

Hey Tunnel,

One thing i do understand is that they do require a minimm height of 1.5m to get the right throw of light

:)
H20PRF

Postby Tunnel Rat on Thu, 30 Sep 2010 1:02 +0000

H20PRF wrote:Hey Tunnel,

One thing i do understand is that they do require a minimm height of 1.5m to get the right throw of light

Hi Daz
We tested these about a year ago now between my Hilux & my bothers F250.
We had them mounted on both vehicles about 1.2m on my bullbar hoop and 2.1m on my bothers F250.
It does make a difference for that close range spread light. But did not make any difference as far as distance went.
Don't get me wrong I still think these lights have got there place they put out a great light up untill about 200m then stop dead.
I only mounted the 10” where it is now for the hell of it. It was a waste of time mounting it as I am now going to mount it on the rear for a revering light as soon as I get time.

I have the gear so when I have the time I will do some lumens testing over distance to see just how fast these new LED’s lose power over distance. I am sure it will be a dramatic loss compared to HID’s.

I invested a lot of time and money into these LED’s including and oversea trip this time last year. So I was a little disappointed when we did the testing. Should have just asked Maxx :oops:

We also did the testing with the LED light bars compared to my 55w HID’s but I now run 70w HID’s in the 4000's

cheers
Tunnel Rat

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 30 Sep 2010 6:53 +0000

Sounds to me like they are an excellent light as a combo at present... For me anyway.... I can be travelling down long straights one minute and then into the tight sections the next when touring... The Spotties are great long range but Ive found my fogs better for the tighter stuff. These LEDS sound perfect for that type of terrain or used in conjunction with spots on the longer stuff to show the extents of the road...

Once they are cheaper Im in methinks...

Good review also TunnelRat
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby blackluxxx on Thu, 30 Sep 2010 8:06 +0000

Hey tunnel rat what sort of headlights are you sportin there mate, are they factory :?:
blackluxxx

Postby Jack S on Thu, 30 Sep 2010 8:34 +0000

blackluxxx wrote:Hey tunnel rat what sort of headlights are you sportin there mate, are they factory :?:

There angel headlights mate!
Jack S

Postby gjohnson on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 5:47 +0000

Tunnel Rat wrote:
H20PRF wrote:Hey Tunnel,

Hi Daz
We tested these about a year ago now between my Hilux & my bothers F250.
We had them mounted on both vehicles about 1.2m on my bullbar hoop and 2.1m on my bothers F250.
It does make a difference for that close range spread light. But did not make any difference as far as distance went.
Don't get me wrong I still think these lights have got there place they put out a great light up untill about 200m then stop dead.
I only mounted the 10” where it is now for the hell of it. It was a waste of time mounting it as I am now going to mount it on the rear for a revering light as soon as I get time.

I have the gear so when I have the time I will do some lumens testing over distance to see just how fast these new LED’s lose power over distance. I am sure it will be a dramatic loss compared to HID’s.

I invested a lot of time and money into these LED’s including and oversea trip this time last year. So I was a little disappointed when we did the testing. Should have just asked Maxx :oops:

We also did the testing with the LED light bars compared to my 55w HID’s but I now run 70w HID’s in the 4000's

cheers

Hi Tunnel Rat,
How did you find the light bar mounted on the roof of the F250 in regards to reflection on the bonnet or mirrors? I have ordered a sahara bar to replace my toyota bar and have ordered a 20" led from snake, now I am just trying to decide whether to leave my lightforce 240 HID's on the new bullbar and mount the LED up on the roll bar or put the LED on the bullbar and the spotties up the top?
Open to any comments or opinions regarding the pros and cons for each set up?
gjohnson

Postby wyworrie on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 6:13 +0000

mmaaxx and argon are correct. Don't rush!!
wyworrie

Next

Return to General Discussion