Upgrading 4WD

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Upgrading 4WD

Postby borgy on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 6:18 +0000

Hi all

New to forums... Currently have a 4Runner SR5 '93 Petrol (BB, TB, LRT, IPF, old man emu) - Been a GREAT vehicle!

Time has come to look at a new 4wd...

Never really thought about a ute until v.recently !.. But with a canopy may be a good combination.

Q: Hilux DCab SR5 or Prado GXL?
Q: Petrol or Diesel?

Appreciate any comments / advice / points to consider

Thanks in advance!
borgy

Upgrading 4WD

Postby jcarter on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 6:32 +0000

hi borgy, i had a 4 Runner Diesel, myself and i realyloves the wagon style, especialy with the large amount of room you have with rear seats folded down, I will be picking up my vehicle in the next 2 weeks, and a canopy will be on my list of upgrades, i realy like the advantaged of just throwing stuff in the back and not worrying about having to tie it down, or getting wet etc.

I will let you know how it goes.
From all reports the Prado GXL is an excellent vehicle from all reports, it will eb a tuff decision for you :(
jcarter

Upgrading 4WD

Postby TOMUCH on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 9:35 +0000

Take them both for a test drive... its really pers preference, but if you ask me... you can't go past the SR5 D4D Hilux.....Check out some of the profiles and you will see the kind of things that can be done... and the accessories you can have with this vehicle.... TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Upgrading 4WD

Postby borgy on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 6:20 +0000

Also appreciate any comments on the Auto vs Manual hilux!
borgy

Upgrading 4WD

Postby Dave on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 7:59 +0000

You don't hear stuff rattling around in the back of a dual cab.

The manual has a few hiccups (see forums) and the auto is a bit more reliable. I have an auto (2nd auto 4wd for me) and it seems to be the best for most off-road terrain. Only downsides to an auto is you can't roll start your vehicle or be towed unless you remove your rear tailshaft..... I have also driven the manual a few times now and I reckon it feels sloppy and changing down gears seems horrible but from what I've heard it improves once you chip them.
Dave
Site Admin

Upgrading 4WD

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 14 Mar 2007 6:36 +0000

I chipped mine from day one.... so I have nothing else to compare it to... but having said thaqt ine feels pretty good... the main thing to consider is the down hill drivablity... I think manual wins hands down...Autos will tend to go too fast on steep decents where you need a slow low range first...with no slippage..and if your engine stalls and you can't get it started again on a hill at least with tthe manual you can still roll down in gear slowly in reverse....just my two cents...then again how comfortable is it to just chuck it in D and cruise along the highway with the cruise control on...(optional with the auto...not with the manual)...If you want a manual with Cruise control you will need to buy it aftermarket... see some of the other threads...TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Return to General Discussion