Vehicle Security

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Vehicle Security

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:44 +0000

Alby & Steve,

Could you please share the additional DIY isolation switch or immobilizer.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 1:30 +0000

Here.. found it..

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_107975/article.html

V.cheap and easy to do..
there's a tonne of other nifty projects on that site to do too..

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 2:22 +0000

Nice find Steve, Brendon the one I had was just a switch that isolated the power to the fuel pump so that 100 meters down the road when the carbies were empty she would just stop. Preety basic but effective. Don't know if you would want to do that sort of thing with todays cars though?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 4:12 +0000

Thanks Steve & Alby.

Alby, don't think that would work with the current generation of cars.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby bansheebuzz on Wed, 21 Oct 2009 7:20 +0000

9w - easier to do it on a modern petrol than old carby job(unless it has electric pump), wiring to high pressure pump can easily isolated. I did one in a 2001 petrol hilux for a mate, mounted the kill switch under the gear shift leather trim, easy to turn on/off, not easy to see. Often people just put them under the dash but thats the first place someone will look
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby Carlewy on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 6:43 +0000

These days you're better to isolate the ECU. Just find the ignition_on line into the ECU and pop a second switch in series.. Make sure you take off from the ignition_on wire somewhere closer tot he ECU than where your average hot-wirer can get to.

Reason you do'nt want to isolate any fuel lift pumps is that if a high pressure diesel pump runs dry it can be damaged as they rely on the diesel to lube them. They're also a bast@rd to re-prime but I haven't had to do that on the Lux thankfully so don't know if it's easy or hard.

We used to have a run dry ECU strategy that cut the engine before the fuel ran out so that the customer never ran out of fuel in a literal sense. It was really cool, it mimicked mis-firing and loss of power so that the customer had time to pull over safely thinking something was wrong with the car. I probably shouldn't admit this but I ran a prototype out of fuel on the way to work one morning which is how I got to see how the run dry routine worked! hehe.
Carlewy

Postby leichlux on Wed, 04 Nov 2009 7:20 +0000

hey guys - i had a key to my hilux stolen the other day. my fault for leaving my bag unattended while having a few beers after work on friday. some shitbag just walked off with it - and everything inside, including the key (not to mention the laptop etc).

anyway, $500 later I had the immobiliser recoded, and the remote keys changed codes as well. very expensive exercise just for a lost key. also had to get the hard cover locks reset.

oh and FYI - it took the locksmith 5 seconds per lock to unlock the hard cover using what looked like a needle and a small blade. he said "you know not to keep anything valuable in here right?".... I said "I DO NOW!"
leichlux

Postby Alby on Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:37 +0000

leichlux wrote:hey guys - i had a key to my hilux stolen the other day. my fault for leaving my bag unattended while having a few beers after work on friday. some shitbag just walked off with it - and everything inside, including the key (not to mention the laptop etc).

anyway, $500 later I had the immobiliser recoded, and the remote keys changed codes as well. very expensive exercise just for a lost key. also had to get the hard cover locks reset.

oh and FYI - it took the locksmith 5 seconds per lock to unlock the hard cover using what looked like a needle and a small blade. he said "you know not to keep anything valuable in here right?".... I said "I DO NOW!"

That was an expensive beer you had Leichlux :oops: 5 seconds to unlock the lock and that is doing it without damaging anything, I bet he thieves are not that careful and do it in even less. Makes the remote locking system that is in the technical section an even better idea.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby leichlux on Thu, 05 Nov 2009 6:02 +0000

yeah thats a good idea Alby, might look at doing that central locking mod soon.
leichlux

Postby wat700 on Thu, 04 Feb 2010 7:15 +0000

G'day All,

Well it seems you can't be too careful these days!

Drove the ute to work this morning and when I got out something struck me as odd about the front end (I was still half asleep).

Closer inspection revealed some enterprising individual or individuals had removed my UHF antenna (including the mount) and my lightforce spot lights from my bull bar last night! :evil:

I've logged a job with the police and they're going to finger print it etc (apparently there's a local problem with motor vehicle accessory theft) but I'm not holding out much hope.

Vehicle was parked right up in my driveway so someone has come right up on the property, with the right tools and proceeded to remove the aforementioned items without disturbing me or more alarmingly the dogs!

I'm pretty pissed and would like to beat six bells out of those responsible but I doubt I'll get the chance. The only crum of comfort is that the lights will be pretty useless to them for a while as I upgraded them to HIDs and all the external ballast and other bits and pieces is safely secured where they couldn't get it.

Watto :(
wat700

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 04 Feb 2010 9:49 +0000

Watto,

Sucks...... when hard earned money is stolen by unscrupulous idiots.................

Just remember that the world is round.........karma works and it will come back to haunt them.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby jamiecracker on Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:40 +0000

thats crappy mate...i have had a few outboards stolen and stuff and they wouldnt find the bodies if they were caught
jamiecracker

Previous

Return to General Discussion