Exhaust extention Required D-4D

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Postby camwill69 on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 1:42 +0000

Hi all,
Has any one had the issue with the exhaust not being long enough and hung to high and the fumes hiting the tow bar, making the soot accumulate on the tailgate and chrome bar.

This can't be good for the tow bar to get this much heat in it each time you drive. Fatigue would set in quite quickly I would imagine.

I have put on a 3" dump pipe to divert the fumes down and further back. It looks like cr#&*p but does the job.

This may only be an issue with the post 8/06 D-4D that went back thru the factory and had the exhaust modified to conform with euro3 emision laws???

Looking forward to your coments.

Regards,
Camwill69

;)
camwill69

Postby jabren on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 2:30 +0000

Hi, camwill69 - same issue with mine - June 05 model - did the same mod. Just poor planning by TOYOTA I think
jabren

Postby Seaair on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 4:31 +0000

I have a 2005 D-4D

Within a week of dring it, the chrome was black. I immedietly got an extsion welded on.

Good as new
Seaair

Postby roly on Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:00 +0000

mine does it, even worse with an arb rear bar which is painted. i will get mine sorted in the next few weeks
roly

Postby xrdave on Sat, 17 Feb 2007 7:13 +0000

some pics of mine.

Last edited by xrdave on Thu, 19 Feb 2009 7:19 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
"Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say “Are you gonna drink that?”
xrdave

Postby xrdave on Sat, 17 Feb 2007 7:18 +0000

1 more pic

8-)
Last edited by xrdave on Thu, 19 Feb 2009 7:21 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
"Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say “Are you gonna drink that?”
xrdave

Re: Exhaust extention Required D-4D

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 19 Feb 2009 6:54 +0000

Typed in Soot on Tailgate into the search function and this thread came up.
Rather than start a new thread will jump onto the back of this one.
Has any members had any problems like I have.
The Truck has over 58000 on it now, it has never had black soot over the tailgate for the life of the vehicle up to so far. About 2000ks ago it started to spew out black soot onto the tailgate.
There truck still runs fine. No limp mode problems or lights on the dash. No loss of power or gain of power, funny noises or anything. Fuel economy hasnt changed at all?
Have checked the fuel bowl, no sediment or water in the prefilter. The airfilter is as clean as a whistle.
Has anyone got any thoughts, its only just started a few thousand K's ago?
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Macca on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 4:03 +0000

I had a straight extension made for mine.

It was easy to remove when going bush.

Gave it to GlenK I think when he bought my towbar. He might still use it and have a pic.

The ARB rear protection came with a fitting to turn the outlet down and works well. It is also tucked up out of the way.

Macca
Macca

Postby tasibrett on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 7:59 +0000

Apart from extending the exhaust I think you have to look some more for the cause.
The only other check I can think of that can be done at home is to inspect the whole exhaust system for dents, squashing ext. If it is a manual and you tend to labor a lot and I do mean a lot, you could have blocked the muffler up (don't know about the cat, haven't worked with them yet) Had a non turbo Hilux brought in with the same black smoke problem except they had already paid some one to service the injectors.36,000kms and the farmer had blocked the muffler enough to cause the smoke but not enough to loose performance
The soot is incomplete burning of the fuel . A restricted exhaust causes some of the oxygen depleted gas to stay in the combustion chamber limiting the oxygen rich air from getting in.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 9:35 +0000

Tasibrett,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there mate.

All you guys here are talking about exhaust extensions....Ive had mine reduced because I thought it was too long ! :shock: :o :D
(yes, Im still talking about the exhuast :lol: )

I got the hacksay out and cut it on a slight angle just after the last exhaust mount under the tub.

I dont have anywhere near the amount of soot you guys have nor is there ever any that covers the tailgate at all.

Im guessing the 3" free flowing exhaust would help to get a cleaner burn?

even my garage door that is right behind the hilux has bugger all soot on it even thou I warm the truck up 10minutes each morning.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:27 +0000

I'm similar to Max... in the exhaust area any way...

Mine is a straight 3" system and finishes well back in the tray... (I think I have a pic in my profile... not sure)

I get some soot on the tow bar, but only on the side facing the exhaust and never anything noticable from the rear of the vehicle.

The only noticable spots I used to leave was towing a White box kart trailer... I'd end up with some resedue on the side of the exhaust... more splatter than anything else and not so much a soot.... Mixture of water and exhaust sludge that gets flung out...

Skog's rig looks like its been set alight! Something must need fixing/replacing/bashing for that to occur all of a sudden...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alby on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:04 +0000

I think that you blokes have totally mis-diagnosed the problem with Skog07, stand back and look at the big picture.

I think it is sabotage, Mark is getting married this weekend and his favourite toy all of a sudden starts playing up??????????????????????????????????

Woman.......you can't live with them and you can't shoot them!

My bet is that Jenny has her eye on a new Camry or Tarago for the 'family' :twisted: :lol: :lol:

After 19 years of marrage you start thinking outside the square

Alby ;)
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby jamiecracker on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:08 +0000

Alby wrote:I think that you blokes have totally mis-diagnosed the problem with Skog07, stand back and look at the big picture.

I think it is sabotage, Mark is getting married this weekend and his favourite toy all of a sudden starts playing up??????????????????????????????????

My bet is that Jenny has her eye on a new Camry or Tarago for the 'family' :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Alby ;)

ahhhhh i see your point
she is very devious...but clever in a weird sort of way
oh well mark have fun in your camry :D
jamiecracker

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:35 +0000

Alby wrote:I think that you blokes have totally mis-diagnosed the problem with Skog07, stand back and look at the big picture.

Alby ;)

LMAO....
Tarago rear locker $1200
Tarago lift kits $2000
Tarago Bullbar $3500
Skog with 7 kids and 2 meters of air below him... Pricele$$
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Possum on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 1:01 +0000

first attemp to load photos so they may not have worked anyway at least i tried
My ARB Bar came with a fitting to be welded on after you cut a couple inches off the exhaust it works fine no soot on bar or trailer
Last edited by Possum on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 2:26 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with doin' nothing is that you never know when youre finished
Brad
Possum

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 2:07 +0000

That exhaust looks tiny....
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby berniecam on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 7:35 +0000

Hi Camwill69.Yep had same problem when I got the rear ARB protection fitted.This is how I overcame the problem,removed the rear tailpipe near the diff housing,took an angle grinder to the rear bracket that is welded to the exhaust pipe(the L shaped one that goes into the rear support rubber)cut it off half way down it's length,got some 12 mm rod 75 mm long & welded it back end to end,with the same L bracket reassembled it on the vehicle,put the L bracket back into original rubber mount,a little tight to push rubber on but it will go on ok tailpipe is now 75 mm lower (50 mm might be ok too)at the back & completely misses putting any soot on the rear bar,& still looks standard,I also put some heat proof paint on the welds to stop them rusting.Have done this to two D4Ds no problems.CHEERS :D
berniecam

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 5:07 +0000

What ever you do get the soot of the paintwork as quick as you can. Luckily I have a 2nd hand tub but it has stained the paintwork. Turps, metho wont remove it, will try grease and was remover or try and buff it out..... :?
Spoke to my local 4wd service centre, they checked the filters and could find nothing wrong. Air and prefilter were clean.
I did not that the exhaust pipe had been pushed over on its rubber mount and did touch the leaf spring bolt occasionally causing a rattle. I pushed it back with my foot a couple of days ago and the rattle had disappeared. Thought the rattle may be dislodging soot inside the pipe and making it spew out the back.
Its still doing it, the tailgate is going black again.
A suggestion was made buy the 4wd service centre to contact Toyota and report the problem as warranty issue and call Cooma Diesel Service to try get some answers as to why its doing it.
Doing some investigations about fuel as well, I have also only bought fuel for the last 2 years from the same place and the occasional top up from other servos to get me back to the place where I trust the qualitity.
Could be just a simple exhaust extention problem but its been absolutely fine for the last 55000ks.
Will keep everyone informed how it progresses. :?: :?: :?:
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby xrdave on Fri, 07 Jul 2023 1:53 +0000

Mark it looks like a clear case of globle warming. ;)

Dave.
xrdave

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 02 Mar 2024 11:29 +0000

I understand that in comedy they say that "Timing is Everything"!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob_Wood

Next

Return to General Discussion