check engine light failure

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

check engine light failure

Postby 241steve on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 9:00 +0000

Has anyone seen the check engine light stop working by its self on a hilux or would it be more likely someone had done something to the cluster to put the light out?
241steve

Re: check engine light failure

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 2:45 +0000

241steve wrote:Has anyone seen the check engine light stop working by its self on a hilux or would it be more likely someone had done something to the cluster to put the light out?

From the way you've worded the question, I'm guessing it's a vehicle you're looking at buying. If this is the case then I'd get a professional opinion before laying out any coin. If it's your car and you've had it a while, then it could be something faulty in the cluster, a loose cable connection, anything like that. Had a timing belt recently? Might have bumped something toggling the timing belt dip switch?
Just a few ideas for your thoughts!
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 7:02 +0000

Check the light bulbs in the dash.
dave g

Postby 241steve on Sun, 17 Mar 2024 5:26 +0000

the led soldiered onto a printed circuit board Im asking about.
Rob I've been looking at a few other Hilux's same model everyone I've seen the check engine light works.
Why mine didn't work and what caused it not to work I'm interested in I might try and fix the cluster, otherwise I may throw it along with a brick or 2 at the bloke I brought the car off lucky for him I cant maintain the rage to get as far as the end of the street.
Seriously I'm trying to decide if mine was shorted out across the led to put the light out by a dodge seller.
As it doesn't seam to be a common failure
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 17 Mar 2024 3:05 +0000

241steve wrote:the led soldiered onto a printed circuit board Im asking about.
Rob I've been looking at a few other Hilux's same model everyone I've seen the check engine light works.
Why mine didn't work and what caused it not to work I'm interested in I might try and fix the cluster, otherwise I may throw it along with a brick or 2 at the bloke I brought the car off lucky for him I cant maintain the rage to get as far as the end of the street.
Seriously I'm trying to decide if mine was shorted out across the led to put the light out by a dodge seller.
As it doesn't seam to be a common failure

Short term solution is to put one of those code reader things on to see if & what comes up. If no fault codes, then try replacing the LED in the cluster. If however you get some fault codes, then you should address the issues that arise, confront the person who sold you a dodgy, and then repair the cluster ... Not necessarily in that order.
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion