Scan Gauge II

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Scan Gauge II

Postby xrdave on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 2:13 +0000

dute wrote:I ordered one of these today . . . . :)

x2 ;)
"Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say “Are you gonna drink that?”
xrdave

Postby dute on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 2:48 +0000

xrdave wrote:
dute wrote:I ordered one of these today . . . . :)

x2 ;)

Yep its a fun toy to play with . . . .not all set up yet but very happy with my new toy. . . :)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Pirate Pete on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 4:11 +0000

Whats the general consesus here is everyone putting these on top of the steering column (similar to lancair)??

Pete
Pirate Pete

Postby bms on Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:39 +0000

I wouldn't go bush or anywhere for that matter without one of these in any of the new electronic diesels . ;)
Being able to read error codes and clear them if necessary is good insurance imho.
bms

Postby xrdave on Thu, 29 Jan 2009 5:44 +0000

My scangauge arrived today, easy to fit. still playing with the settings. ;)
"Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say “Are you gonna drink that?”
xrdave

Postby FSC on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 7:15 +0000

I am trying to gather some more information on ScanGaugeII / Hilux compatibility and I am trying to pinpoint the exact build date of compatible Hiluxs.
We have just had a customer who owns a 2006 D4D return a ScanGauge to us as it would not connect, I will hopefully get the build date of his Hilux today. Until now our customer feedback has lead us to believe all 2006 models were compatible as sometime in late 2005 Toyota changed over to standard OBDII..... this appears to be incorrect.

Could those of you who own late 2005 and 2006 models and have tried the ScanGaugeII in their vehicles either PM me or leave details here on compatibility. Any feedback you leave will be greatly appreciated and will help us provide more accurate compatibility information for future Hilux owners interested in the ScanGaugeII.

Model:
    Engine:
    Transmission:
    Build Date: MM/YYYY
    ScanGauge Compatible?:
    Did it Automatically Connect?:

Regards
Brett
FSC

Postby MONSTERHILUX on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 9:44 +0000

Hey gents, i also have Smart Guage,
OBD2 port,

Smart guage, reads OBD2 error codes, and can clear them.

it also further reads ecu outputs such as:

MAF airflow,
RPM,
KM/L,
ECT
EGR
Battery
IAT-intake air temp
Fuel Temp
Coolent temp
Calculated Load
Throttle position 1 & 2.
Barometric Press (kpa),
Commonrail press (MPA)
Turbo Boost

The great thing about our product, is that each one is specifically made for the engine type. meaning these are not universal, the HILUX will work with the Fortuner, same as the Triton will work on the Pajero.
if it uses the same engine.

but a triton modle wont work on a hilux, the reason we have desgined our smart guage this way, is for the customer ability to use all the functioning outputs, the codes are also no. as toyota code not universal, which also mean the code reader is more accurate.

Here is a picture:
MONSTERHILUX

Postby Anth D on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 9:47 +0000

Just ordered my scan gauge II :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Anth D

Postby Anth D on Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:16 +0000

I just got mine, will throw it in this weekend. :D
Anth D

Postby Dazzarlux on Fri, 08 May 2009 3:46 +0000

Installed mine today;
attempted to add some XGauge features such as Boost and Kilowatt power measurements... :cry:
The boost reads -3.7 and then up the rev range to -2.8.. ?? something seems wrong.
It could be a <Math> problem, however have checked and rechecked settings against instructions and I have entered all strings correct- must be some other problem.
Also the KW reading is completely out of whack.
I'm going to research for more info.

Has anyone entered these particular XGauge features- if so what settings did you use?

D
Dazzarlux

Postby rodw on Fri, 08 May 2009 3:55 +0000

I'd say the dyno KW settings will be pretty rough. Some of the PC based systems need you to enter frontal area to account for drag!
rodw

Postby tonymtber on Sat, 30 May 2009 9:26 +0000

Hi guys,

I've just joined this forum having just purchased a 2008 D/Cab. This is my first common rail diesel (previous vehicle was a 4.2 GU Patrol), so I'm literally going from 20yr old technology to the latest wiz bang stuff.

On my GU I ran a set of EGT & Boost gauges to monitor what is going on. From what I can understand that the scan gauge can calculate Boost, but cant doing EGT.

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there is already a EGT sensor (maybe more than one) for the computer to monitor things. If this is the case, then there should be OBD2 codes available to get this data.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've also been looking at CE software & patch leads to run from the OBD2 port to my car PC. If I can find the right software then I plan to set it up on the car PC to monitor EGT & boost figures (plus anything else of interest) rather than buying a scangauge.

Cheers
Tony
tonymtber

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 1:46 +0000

Bringing this thread back to life.

For those members with a Scangauge or OBD II reader, can you share your reading for:

Fuel temperature.

My Thai made Smart Gauge tells me my fuel temperature at around the 120 degrees Celsius. Has got me wondering if the fuel temperature is really that high...............

Wonderful device.......
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby H20PRF on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 7:26 +0000

Hey Brendon,

Is the SGII only for diesals ? or does it work with the V6 Also ?

Cheers

Daz
H20PRF

Postby toyboata on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 7:44 +0000

Should work with almost any vehicle built post 1996.
If it won't work on the newest vehicles it probably isn't CAN(control area network)enabled and this is the new OBD protocol that most manufacturers now use and have done so for the last few years. In that case you need a tool that can communicate with the CAN-BUS.
www.scan-tool.net has excellent PC based scan tools that are great on laptops and far exceed any stand-alone scan guage you can buy(unless you fork out thousands) in terms of data you can access. Has features such as freeze-frame data(tells you all the conditions that were going on when the check engine lamp cam on) data -logging(great for seeing changes made by modifications) clear codes and much more. There are heaps of PC based scanners out there with plenty of free software and some on ebay are really cheap and they do the job. I have a mechanical workshop and used a $50 PC scan-tool for about a year with great success....until i needed to upgrade to a professional tool that does every single vehicle that i can think of.
toyboata

Postby hodgo81 on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 9:17 +0000

Toyboata where do you get the cable to hook a normal laptop up and run these programs?
do you get one of the $100 ones on that site? or is there other sources?
hodgo81

Postby VMN on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:55 +0000

hodgo81 wrote:Toyboata where do you get the cable to hook a normal laptop up and run these programs?
do you get one of the $100 ones on that site? or is there other sources?

Get your OBD cable and interface here: http://www.obdpros.com/
And your software from GLM in Melbourne here: http://www.glmsoftware.com/

You can buy a bundle with software locked to the OBDpro hardware to save a few $

You can also get cheaper ELM compatible dongles on ebay and if you are in a workshop situation, strongly consider the Bluetooth version so you can leave the PC on the bench and test cars anywhere in the workshop.

Advantage of OBDpros over all others is that it is 100% software upgradeable for free so it will keep pace with the changes in standards for a while.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby bansheebuzz on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 1:04 +0000

do you know if this will work on the earlier 05/06 that the scan guage will not work on?

MONSTERHILUX wrote:Hey gents, i also have Smart Guage,
OBD2 port,

Smart guage, reads OBD2 error codes, and can clear them.

it also further reads ecu outputs such as:

MAF airflow,
RPM,
KM/L,
ECT
EGR
Battery
IAT-intake air temp
Fuel Temp
Coolent temp
Calculated Load
Throttle position 1 & 2.
Barometric Press (kpa),
Commonrail press (MPA)
Turbo Boost

The great thing about our product, is that each one is specifically made for the engine type. meaning these are not universal, the HILUX will work with the Fortuner, same as the Triton will work on the Pajero.
if it uses the same engine.

but a triton modle wont work on a hilux, the reason we have desgined our smart guage this way, is for the customer ability to use all the functioning outputs, the codes are also no. as toyota code not universal, which also mean the code reader is more accurate.

Here is a picture:
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby toyboata on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 8:46 +0000

the scan-tool.net ones should work on everything bar Australian holdens pre 2005 and fords pre 2002. Toyota also didn't follow the same protocols as the rest of the world till about 04/05 but after then should be sweet. Here's an idea.....try asking a Toyota tech if they know what OBD protocol ur truck uses....might get an answer but more than likely just a scratch of the head

you can try the $50 ones from ebay which are a copy of ELMSCAN but they can have issues and wont work with some full versions of diagnostic software.
scan-tool.net is USA site but ive ordered from them before and all good.
they have a new all-in-one scan tool which consists of the diagnostic interface with usb cable. comes with trial versions of diagnostic software also which have basic features...probably enough to suit the home mechanic. usually need to buy full versions unless you can find hacked ones...i have a hacked version of PCMSCAN which works with many different interfaces(scan-tools)...as long as they're genuine though....wont work with my cheap elm327 copy.
RodW has some good ideas too. Its probably confusing you now coz there really are so many of these products out there but most work well and as RodW mentioned unlike a lot of dedicated/stand alone scan-tools they're constantly upgradable and being PC based usually more powerful than stand alone tools.
I have a bluetooth Elmscan5 from scan-tool.net with full version of PCMSCAN and it is excellent....i have a workshop and it suits almost every application i try it on
toyboata

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:18 +0000

bansheebuz,

The Smart Gauge form Thailand will fit 2005/2006 Hiluxes like mine and yours.

As you mentioned, it is conformed that 05/06 models will not work with the Scangauge.

I'll post up some pictures later when i have the time.

In the meantime, does anyone have the fuel temperatures reading?

Daz,
It will work with the V6 as long as your model is 07 onwards.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion