Engine Guard fitment

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Engine Guard fitment

Postby Philos on Sat, 29 Jan 2022 4:59 +0000

Hi all. Has anyone fitted an Engine Guard (dual temp sensor unit) to a 2012 V6 engine plus the 5 speed auto for temp sensing?

I’ve got the unit on order and would like to fit it ASAP. I’m not sure where the best points to place the sensor rings would be. I’d appreciate any feedback about mounting the unit, sensors or wiring it up - any ideas are welcome.

Cheers
Philos

Re: Engine Guard fitment

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 29 Jan 2022 6:28 +0000

Philos wrote:I’m not sure where the best points to place the sensor rings would be.

I'm not familiar with the particular unit you're discussing, however I might mention that the term "Sensor Rings", kinda sounds a bit like something that is attached to the outside of the block (or transmission). If this is the case then I feel obliged to suggest that the best temperature sensing you're going to get is from the engine coolant or the transmission fluid. To do this you'd need a thermistor, or some other direct contact sensing device to be installed in a way that the device gets direct contact with the fluid you're trying to sense / measure. Most of the better quality aftermarket products should provide you with instructions on how to achieve this.
Regards
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 3:17 +0000

When coolant temp sensors aren't surrounded by coolant because its all leaked out most of them don't read to well. Is why the engine guard sensors are an external type. The instructions say clamp sensor to the oil filter that will be painful on a 1gre-fe filter. nfi where to put the sensors. I was thinking about trying to write an app to run out of torque app on the android radio to start beeping if the temp gets too high. the torque app shows the temp the ecu gets from the coolant temp sensor.
Last edited by 241steve on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 5:01 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
241steve

Postby Philos on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 5:00 +0000

241steve wrote:When coolant temp sensors aren't surrounded by coolant because its all leaked out most of them don't read to well. Is why the engine guard sensors are an external type. The instructions say clamp sensor to the oil filter that will be painful on a 1gre-fe filter. nfi where to put the sensors

Excellent thanks Steve. The oil filter is easily accessible. Should be no problems there.

Any ideas about the auto transmission sensor?
Philos

Postby Philos on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 5:04 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
Philos wrote:I’m not sure where the best points to place the sensor rings would be.

I'm not familiar with the particular unit you're discussing, however I might mention that the term "Sensor Rings", kinda sounds a bit like something that is attached to the outside of the block (or transmission). If this is the case then I feel obliged to suggest that the best temperature sensing you're going to get is from the engine coolant or the transmission fluid. To do this you'd need a thermistor, or some other direct contact sensing device to be installed in a way that the device gets direct contact with the fluid you're trying to sense / measure. Most of the better quality aftermarket products should provide you with instructions on how to achieve this.
Regards

Sounds like there might be some useful instructions with the product. Yes the ring connectors can definitely be attached under bolt heads. I assume there’s some spots are better than others. And according to Steve placing them directly onto filters is fine as well.
Philos

Postby 241steve on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 5:04 +0000

Any ideas about the auto transmission sensor?
clamp the sensor to the pipe going to the cooler if easy to get at close to the trans ?
Ive never installed an engine guard. So don't take my word as to how its done.
my mate said he has his sensor bolted to the head on his diesel.
241steve

Postby Philos on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 7:19 +0000

241steve wrote:Any ideas about the auto transmission sensor?
clamp the sensor to the pipe going to the cooler if easy to get at close to the trans ?.

Yeah I’ll look at that idea. Thanks mate.
Philos

Return to General Discussion