Improving the acceleration!

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:46 +0000

I would like to pick on your collective brains as my Hilux which has the D4D 2KD-FTV 2.5 litre diesel without intercooler is very sluggish when accelerating.

This problem is a chronic issue with all the Hiluxes here. Boy, Do we wish we had the same engine that you guys get (D4D 1KD-FTV 3.0 litre with intercooler)! LOL!

I have installed a Dpchip and it has improved the performance but it's only at the mid end. Taking off from a dead stop has not improved and this is where I really want to improve on.

Thanks mates
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Tonym on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 5:24 +0000

I am not familiar with the 2.5L but you could try a custom mandrel bent exhaust system. There have been a lot of people that are very happy with the improvment after fitting one to the 3.0L
Tonym

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 17 Mar 2007 6:40 +0000

The exhaust should certianly help....another thing you could consider if that dosen't work and you want a lot more torque down low is a set of T-case adapter gears. I think you can get gears that will change both Hi and Lo range, however be aware that this will also affect your top end and will definately change your speedo output... other than T-Case gears a more expensive option could be to change both front and rear diff ratios... Both options will give the feel of more torque down low due to the reduced gearing. but at what cost....???? Do you have Gas/Diesel injection systems where you are??? that will liven the beast for sure.... TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby 9W6VX on Sat, 17 Mar 2007 1:31 +0000

Have earlier toyed with the idea of changing the diff ratios to reduce the gearing but unfortunately no one here has done it before.

My workshop buddy says that the Prado 95 series diffs might fit but he's not too sure himself.

Mark, are you talking about NGV fuel? There are none here for diesel engines.

I'm looking at a air to air intercooler but it's costly and it will void the warranty and he wants to play with the emission controls which I'm reluctant to tinker with.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby TOMUCH on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 9:11 +0000

Yeah, seems like your in a real pickle.... how to get more with less... If warranty is a concern for you....as it is with all of us.... your probably stuck with exhaust mods only.... another idea could be to change the cam profile, but then you will have warranty issues again... I have been told the the new prado engine(Although the same as the Hilux engine) produces more power and torque due to cam and exhaust mods from the factory....TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Return to General Discussion