Issue with Oil System

Issue with Oil System

Postby creationz on Wed, 04 May 2011 4:22 +0000

Im a noob when it comes to the ins and outs of the diesal engine, yes i can complete my own service, thats no drama's... but this morning i had my oil light come on (fair enough i am due for a service and oil change) i dont have the spare cash at the moment to grab all the filters etc but i refilled the oil and got on my way again... however the light is still staying on... but its strange... it doesnt turn on after kickin the engine over... and it doesnt matter how long idle... still, no oil light... but once i get a few hundred metres down the road... it starts flashing... very faint at first and with no real pattern... just randomly flashing.... then it gets brighter and brighter.... then turns off.... then a few more hundred metres down the road it does the same and its got me f*cked.... anyone here able to shed some light on this for me?

Model: '97 Hilux Dual cab 2.8L
creationz

Re: Issue with Oil System

Postby blownlux on Wed, 04 May 2011 6:35 +0000

you may find the oil pick up is blocked, i have seen this many times with engines that have not been serviced reguarly. the carbon sludge builds up and blocks it. this may have built up prier to you buying it. if the oil light is on dont drive it. does it go off if you rev the engine higher?
if you have low oil pressure you could kill the engine in onoy a few min.
blownlux

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 09 May 2011 12:46 +0000

moved to correct area. :ugeek:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby tasibrett on Mon, 09 May 2011 8:47 +0000

As blownlux said you could kill you engine in a few min with low oil pressure, but I would check the wire to your oil pressure switch as it sounds like the wire is shorting to earth.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 11 May 2011 1:11 +0000

As per all above......
When you re-fill your oil, I expect that you start the engine for a couple of minutes then stop it and check the oil level.
My dip-stick only shows oil on the front (fan side) of the dip stick (Toyota dealer tells me this is normal - they don't know why exactly but believe there is some sort of "wiper" in the tube - whether it's the tube or something in it as the stick comes out).

It won't take any time at all to ruin an engine without oil or oil pressure..... I wouldn't run an engine with an oil light on unless I knew something was dodgy with the indicator - and would see to fixing it with the least amount of delay.

Does it eventually come on whilst idling after start-up - no matter how long it idles..... (5 min eg)?

Oil will get thinner as it heats up... at idle, it will heat up slower but after only a couple of hundred metres down the road probably won't make much difference than it idling for a five minutes.....

I note you state that it flickers - does it get brighter more constant at lower revs/idle than at moderate revs.....?

If you pull over and stop the vehicle with the engine idling when it starts to flicker - do indications change....?
Does it go out/flicker less or come on brighter/glow longer.......?

If you know your oil pressure to be ok - try tugging at the wiring in the engine bay with the engine running - get some one to watch the dash...... make sure you push the wiring onto everything it can possibly come in contact with whilst on the road.....

From what you post, my "guess" is something in the indicator unit or wiring.....

A multimeter can determine if the unit is opening the circut once the engine starts - and that should ease your mind as to having oil pressure.
How you can achieve this with the vehicle in motion would require a bit of work with leads etc.

I don't believe a replacement oil pressure sending unit would cost much...... to rule out a dodgy unit.
Then it would be a case of tracing the wiring to the dash to locate a short.

But I do suggest you get this rectified without delay if you choose to continue driving your truck...

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Return to Servicing