Who has Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ??

Need something to get you rolling?

Who has Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ??

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 5:18 +0000

I am looking to buy a Tyre Pressure / Temp Monitoring System for 6 wheels and would like some imput.
How do internal sensors compare with external sensors that screw into the valve stem ??
Are the external sensors more prone to damaged in heavy going ??
I need a system that will read 6 tyres, most of the cheaper ones appear to only read 4 sensors.
Thanks,
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Re: Who has Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ??

Postby McSumWay on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 5:26 +0000

I have a tyredog 5 sensor system with external screw-on sensors.

It has been a good system and is easy to use especially when you use the 4psi rule.

The external sensors have not been an issue in over 30000kms including a Simpson crossing.

I do believe the internal sensors are less prone to outside temp variations but the extra hassle in getting them fitted must be considered. Also the external ones are easy to steal so if in a dodgy area you may consider removing.

Warren
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby VMN on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 5:29 +0000

I've had these on my radar too. I'm told that the downside of the internal ones can be damaged when they change tyres and they can rotate on the rim so they are not where they are supposed to be.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby ssdsibes on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 5:41 +0000

In hindsight I should have gone external sensors, but as I have a Polaris headunit, it has tyre pressure monitoring built in and I bought their kit which have sensors installed inside the tyre and this meant not having an additional screen to look at.

It works well, but the tyre place did not install my sensors well, after advising they were experts at doing this, and now 2 are stuffed as the sensor mounting nut unscrewed and the sensors floated around inside the tyre whilst driving.

In the process of doing a Fair Trading claim as the tyre place said basically piss off, we don't warrant our ability to do up bolts, WTF.

If you go internal I would definitely be putting a low strength lock tight on the mounting screws, but hindsight is a good thing. The Polaris manual didn't state this and tyre shop didn't do it either.

Wish I had gone the same way as Warren and got a Tyredog setup

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby earlydays on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 6:10 +0000

Geoff,
I have a 4 wheel tyre dog monitor with external sensors and have never had a moments problem having also just completed a 10,000k trip. Conditions were at times extreme including sand, gravel, mud, and water. I also had a slow leak in one tyre which I picked up on the monitor. I have had the system for over a year and had to replace the batteries in the sensors recently.
Tony
Bushbound wrote:I am looking to buy a Tyre Pressure / Temp Monitoring System for 6 wheels and would like some imput.
How do internal sensors compare with external sensors that screw into the valve stem ??
Are the external sensors more prone to damaged in heavy going ??
I need a system that will read 6 tyres, most of the cheaper ones appear to only read 4 sensors.
Thanks,
Geoff
earlydays

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 1:07 +0000

Iain aka Macca had the external unit in his Hilux when I was in OZ last year and I liked his external unit a lot.

I found it really useful to monitor tyre pressures.

Like Warren said, the only negative aspect of the external sensor is that it can be easily stolen.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby ARB_SR5_W.A on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:01 +0000

I've got the factory TPMS, no problems with it so far (16000kms) except when I changed the tyres I broke the sensor in the first tyre I did, but thats more down to how you take the tyre off. The other four tyres were no dramas. I think it cost about $50 for one new sensor. It monitors 5 tyres and reasonably easy to reset which tyre is where on the monitor, the book says to change the batteries each time you change the tyres. As mentioned it is really handy to monitor the temp and pressure of them especially when doing alot of highway speed gravel roads as the temp goes through the roof, I think the highest I've seen mine is 62deg, with that temp the tyre raised in pressure by about 20psi so I started to slow down a bit and it dropped back to 58 and the pressure dropped back into a comfortable range.
ARB_SR5_W.A

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 11 Aug 2011 4:28 +0000

Thanks, I'd never considered the original units although I have seen them on ebay but they are fairly pricey.
The Tyredog TD1300 is currently top of the list but it has external sensors, $249 at Repco on special at the moment.
I have driven vehicle 1/2 way round Australia that had internal sensors and was very handy unit as rear LH tyre temp got up into the mid 70's between Broome and Pt Headland - really hot day + heavy laden vehicle, pushing along at a fast pace. Yes the tyres had correct pressure etc, so we slowed up a bit and temp dropped.
Thanks,
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Return to Tyres & Wheels