New Member From NSW

New Member From NSW

Postby Tom McCallum on Sun, 02 May 2010 3:01 +0000

Hi All

WOW! What a great forum, I had been searching around the 4x4 forums to get a bit of info on setting up a duel battery system for my 2006 SR Ute, and somehow stumbled on to this site. I am glad that I did because I was having a hard time finding late model Hilux information; I was adapting information from Prado sites, as I considered that the charging circuit had to be very similar to the Hilux system. Dealerships (Stealerships) never seem to be too forthcoming with accurate info, I have found. I wish that I had found this site a couple of weeks back while I was trying to install a UHF radio. I will address these topics under the technical section of this forum.

I never thought too much about my Username when I registered and never realized that any posts that I made would display my registered name, otherwise I would of chosen something cool like “Snatchstrap” or “Bogged to the Rails”, so I’ll probably change my Username soon, but I’ll re-introduce myself then.

I had some big plans for my “Beauty” when I first got it last May, I was looking around for something to use for a Simpson Desert run that I had been invited to participate in later this June, so when I spotted this late 2006 tray back Ute on the second hand lot of my local Toyota Dealership, it was love at first sight. It already was fitted with a long range fuel tank, Toyota Bulbar, driving lights and had a sturdy steel tray fitted. I was currently driving a 1989 Suzuki Sierra, which I was also very fond of, but had realized that no matter how much money I spent on it, the Suzuki would not quite suite my needs; it was just too small to fit in all the gear that I wanted to take, it was a lost cause. Needless to say a deal was struck almost immediately and the Suzuki was traded in.

I had opened a special savings account so as I could put away a little bit each week towards buying bits and pieces for my planned trip, and had saved just enough to buy some new rubber and a set of alloy wheels, the Hilux had steel wheels and was shod in ordinary radials, which were not even light truck tyres. The Ute looked much better with its new Speedy Territory rims and 265/70R 16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T radials. The next item that I was planning for was an Old Man Emu suspension upgrade, but just as I managed to save the funds to do this, I fell ill.

It was discovered that I had two brain tumors, and I was immediately rushed off to hospital for some surgery. This of course totally side lined me and any plans that I had for a desert run. I was off work from August to February this year getting poked and prodded, irradiated, chemoed and generally undergoing all those fun things that go along with cancer. I have somehow managed to survive all this, and am now in remission and back at work. I’ll get a clearance to drive again next week and my Desert run is back on track, though the list of goodies I had planned for my Ute has been shortened to just the essential items.

Any way great site, I have already discovered the link to the Hilux Service manual, what resource that is, I am sure that I will discover many more pleasant surprises in the threads of this forum.

Tom McCallum

Re: New Member From NSW

Postby Matthew on Sun, 02 May 2010 3:14 +0000

Welcome aboard Tom. Quite a story you have there mate. Glad to see things are on the improve.

Cheers,

Matt
Matthew

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 02 May 2010 3:40 +0000

Wow.....what a intro.......

welcome on board mate.

Good luck with the treatments ......

If you want to change your user name just PM me and we'll fix that.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby D4D for ME on Sun, 02 May 2010 5:48 +0000

Welcome to newhilux.net. Glad to hear your on the mend mate. No one wants to have a beaut 'Lux and not be able to get out and use it. Enjoy the wealth of information on here and hopefully it'll help out with deciding which of the products you've got your eye on are the best value for money.
Cheers, Nick
The beatings will continue untill the morale improves.
D4D for ME

Postby Bassman on Mon, 03 May 2010 8:48 +0000

Hi there and welcome Tom.

My cousin is having treatment too. Hang in there mate.

Beware, this site will cost you $$$$. I started out thinking I would buy a standard SR5 and idle around in it until I came across this Forum....AND IT HAS COST ME TRUCKLOADS SINCE THEN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you, I ended up fitting my Dual Battery system myself ( and saved over $600) armed with helpful info from our Member Build Ups section. So you can save a few hard earned $ as we have all done some shopping prior to you coming along. Good luck!! :D
....IT WILL GET ME TO THE GIG ON TIME !!!
Bassman

Postby jamiecracker on Tue, 04 May 2010 1:56 +0000

welcome aboard mate...good to have you here
jamiecracker

Return to Introductions