Upgrading from 1990 v8 to 2011 hilux help

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Upgrading from 1990 v8 to 2011 hilux help

Postby frequin on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 5:24 +0000

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a 2011 plated silver dual cab sr5 4x4 unleaded new in February next year and sell my current 1990 dual cab Lexus v8 powered 4x4 pictured below.

I plan to fit a tip top aluminum tray and give the hilux a lift and run a 31” or 33” MT tyre on sunraiser rim
And possibly fit a TRD front apron as shown in the picture of the while extra cab below.

I’m hoping some of you can point me in the right direction with a few questions.

1.How much lift and what size tyre would you guess the white extra cab pictured has?

2.Where can I buy a TRD apron (I have searched online with no luck and think it may be something that needs to be brought through Toyota spare parts)

3.I’m yet to decided upon manual or auto, any pro’s or cons on this particular model relating to this?

4.What companies offer good quality lift kits (Sydney) to suit this model of hilux, I don’t want to loose any ride quality (my current truck has a slight lift and is so stiff and bumpy all my mrs does is complain about it!)

5.Any particular things I should be a wear of when buying a brand new sr5? And are there any major issues people have been experiencing in the first years of owning one?

6.What options are on the market for a slight power increase with this engine, eg : ECU chip, extractors, I will probably run a pod filter as well. And is the TRD super charger kit available anywhere after market to suit?

7.Is there much of a market for the dual cab sr5 trays? And what price do they usually sell for? As the dealers tell me I can’t buy this model in a cab/chassis

8.Any recommendations on Sydney based dealerships to buy from? (at this stage I’m just going to go with who ever I can get the lowest price out of)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

frequin

Re: Upgrading from 1990 v8 to 2011 hilux help

Postby seb on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 6:24 +0000

The white 6th gen lux looks like it has a bigger lift in the front
It looks tall - Maybe 2 or 3" suspension lift with a 2" body lift in the front.

Tyres look like it would be 32" tyres but im sure the boys will correct me on what i've just said about both things! :D

Donno about the TRD apron there is a place in Perth that i could have a look at for you
i just need to remember the website

I have an auto TD and its great
But i have two mates with petrol manuals and they love them for the city
Offroad on the beach and stuff they go really well too.
Its a matter of opinion - The only drama re manual is the clutch stuffing up around 80,000 clicks in quite a few cases -

For your suspension you should jump on the search button mate -
Your going to find a lot in that department to help you there.
Ultimate suspension is a company on here with a thread -

Monster Rides in Sydney would probably be able to help you out quite a lot if your in Sydney
Monster Rides is a company also on here - Speak to Matt - He is a really big help.

Not to sure about what to be aware of as i never bought new

For Power a chip and 3" straight through mandrel exhaust.
Chips are another thing to use your search button mate a lot of different options out there it really depends how much you want to spend

Dual Tubs have sold around $600 the cheapest one i saw but i think new there not that expensive?

About buying new if your buying through an ABN then thats fine
but petrol hiluxs tend to drop quite quickly compared to TD (over in perth anyway)

If your not buying through an ABN buy a 2010 instead of 11 with low kms and do more stuff.

The thing most people are going to tell you to do is just search for things - suspension, chip, etc etc and you'll be reading for days.

The first thing i got told when i jumped on here is search is your friend and it really is mate.
You learn so much and you'll be reading for days.

Hope i've been kind of helpful mate.
Sure the boys will correct me with what i've said wrong

Cheers.
Seb.
Cheers Seb.
seb

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:47 +0000

that 6th gen, I think he has a 2 or 3" lift on the front, standard rear suspension and a bodylift making the front too high...looks crappy in my opinion.....

those front bars you can get from Thailand.....send matty an email, he'll help ya out.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby seb on Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:49 +0000

agreed with looking crap
Cheers Seb.
seb

Postby frequin on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 8:49 +0000

Thanks, I'm assuming 6th gen refers to the year of manufacture? What is the current gen? and have there been vast changes since the new hilux was released?

I've seen the pictured white extra cab a few times, it is definitely level, might just be the angle of the photo off the Iphone or the fact he had the tray loaded up that day, but it's definitely lifted the same height all around.

I'm not interested in doing a body lift, I just want my hilux to look a bit more aggressive and more like a 4x4, the more height the better but I am restricted by the roof clearance of my garage, 2100mm, and obviously a slightly larger tyre and the addition of a tip top tray with racks will increase my overall height.

I am a little confused by some of the advertised lift kits, does a 3.5" lift kit, lift the overall height of the vehicle 3.5" or the suspension 3.5" but the overall height is more (or less?)

Does anyone have any experience with the snake racing 3” lift kit?

Below is another hilux I like the look of, by the looks of things it has a body lift and is fitted with a 4 link though.

I would love to see some pictures of the new hilux with just a suspension lift and a slightly larger tyre to give me some idea if what I would be happy with to give me the look I’m after.

Thanks.

frequin

Postby EASTCOAST on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 9:39 +0000

I hope your pocket are deeper that mine.$55,000 for the ute $20,000plus for sas front and four link rear,$4,000 in tyres then get it legal,,,,Might pay to cut up an 05 to 07 if you want the big lift .........Another one may be a cheaper and better DO A BODY SWAP ONTO YOUR EXSISTING LUX......THAT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST BEAST OF A HILUX EVER............................... :shock:
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby seb on Wed, 06 Oct 2010 9:51 +0000

Current hilux 150 series

Not to many changes.
The newer models have steering wheels controls nav units and cup holders where my car didn't hahaha :)

Ultimate does these lifts - All information can be found on there website -

3.5" Lift Kit for 2005 and on model Toyota Hilux (allowing a 5" lift with increased tyres)

So suspension = 3.5 inches but with new tyres your car could be sitting 5" hirer.
Overall height = more with tyres
(Correct MAX?)

Ultimate Suspension Lift - Total including GST = $5,310.00

http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au/pr ... _hilux.php

Have a read through there website
You'll pick up a lot of good information regarding there lifts there.

That car there looks mean i like that -

If you jump through suspension they have a thread to read about different types -
viewforum.php?f=28

Or quick reference Suspension thread finder
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4473

Start scrolling through members builds mate -
You'll see cars going from Stock to them adding lifts
viewforum.php?f=41

You'll get an idea about what you like - Theres lots to scroll through

Enjoy buddy
Seb
Cheers Seb.
seb

Return to General Discussion