Cabin swapping

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Cabin swapping

Postby luthier on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:16 +0000

G'day all,
I've done some searching but couldn't find any mention of this topic.
Just rolled my 91 LN106R single cab 4x4 in a creek this week and the cab is totalled. However the rest is probably worth saving as the engine didn't get wet inside and the running gear is good and it has a fabulous big tray.
People say the 2wd cabs are the same but I'm wondering if that's true. So that's my question. Is it possible to swap a cab from a different model, even say an auto, where holes would be cut through the gearbox tunnel for gearsticks , and would the chassis mounts be the same? It has the 2.8 litre diesel whereas most of the 2wd's have either a 2.7 petrol or something smaller so there could also be issues with engine mounts.
Unless someone has done this I'd be hesitant to go down that long track.
I'm more leaning towards a similar model where I only have to swap the tray, but I'm open to suggestions at this stage.
Cheers,
Dan
luthier

Re: Cabin swapping

Postby blownlux on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 2:08 +0000

cant see there being any differents I have seen both models you speek of and worked on both and they look the same. I cant see toyota making two differnt mounting setups for the same cab as they try to keep all things the same to save money in production. You should be fine, cab change is easy there is 6 bolts holding that cab on, and then disconect all the electrics, stearing shaft, breakes etc. if you know some one with a hoist it would be easier as you can just lift the body off then and wheel the rest out. good luck. Ps dont roll them they break.
blownlux

Postby luthier on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 9:35 +0000

This is why we need a new cab.
luthier

Cabin swapping

Postby fridgie on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 9:50 +0000

Geez mate, that would have been interesting :shock:
i know it's not a hilux but really.....WHO CARES!! We're all here for the same reason :D
fridgie

Postby helmut79 on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 6:13 +0000

Lucky escape Dan
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby Naisie on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 6:34 +0000

Classic toyota ad ... Bugger!
:D ~ Renee ~ :D

BITUMEN - Another waste of taxpayers dollars!
Naisie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paw55h on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 7:20 +0000

Naisie wrote:Classic toyota ad ... Bugger!

bugger alright
that sucks mate good on you trying to revive it
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in the fruit salad
http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8669
paw55h

Postby luthier on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 8:43 +0000

helmut79 wrote:Lucky escape Dan

Extremely lucky.
I probably have a bit more of an idea now about the parameters.
I was using the depth markers as a guide, but hadn't realized how wrong they could be. The bottom of that crossing had actually washed out, making the depth unknown. It washed out considerably in the 5 hours I was out on Wednesday, so the 800mm on the way out still read 800mm on the way in, but was probably well over a metre. I was not familiar with this crossing because it was the alternative to the bridge which we had always used before , that was destroyed by flood just on a month back. So I'd only used that crossing 6 or 7 times in total, despite having driven the road for more than a year.
A further danger of this crossing lies in the fact that after the bridge came down, they bulldozed a lot of gravel over the crossing, but failed to roll it, so the depth was going to change easily with another decent flow of water such as we got on Wednesday,
This is my only defense, which I will use to attempt to avoid a Negligent driving charge that the copper who attended reckoned I would probably get. After all he said they thought they were going to a 'fatal'.
luthier

Postby luthier on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 9:43 +0000

Here's how she looked after being dragged out with a tractor.

So I've drained the gallon of water from the sump, plus the oil, taken out the glow plugs and turned her over, spewing oil water and then diesel spray, took out the radiator cause the fan was up against it, bent the frame back and replaced radiator, but then the starter refused to go. I pulled the starter out and it's drying by the fire in pieces so should be OK tomorrow.
Plus there was a major short somewhere in the cab so I've disconnected the loom from the battery, just leaving the starter and neg wires. Should I be able to start it without the rest connected, by switching the starter manually? Not sure what part the ignition switch plays. Does it switch something on the injector pump? Any ideas how to bypass it? I just want to get the thing running before I commit to doing the cab change. I have a bypassed glowplug switch. Once started that way what's the best way to turn it off? I have the aircleaner off as it was choked with oil. Maybe just put a flat board across the inlet to suffocate it?
Will post pics if and when I do the cab changeover.
luthier

Cabin swapping

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 9:51 +0000

Man that crazy :shock: someone was looking after you that day!!!
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Cabin swapping

Postby Mattya on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:53 +0000

Yep there is a little solenoid on the pump you will need to power. Just make a little switch with some wires so you can turn it off easy.
Im Always On The Edge, It Only The Sharpness That Varys.
Mattya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby luthier on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 1:37 +0000

Mattya wrote:Yep there is a little solenoid on the pump you will need to power. Just make a little switch with some wires so you can turn it off easy.

Thankyou very much sir. I thought there must be something like that.

KTM........ yes my wife and I feel like something helped us outa there. I didn't know at the time that statistically very few ever get out of such a rollover. Glad I didn't know, cause not panicking definitely was another factor, plus my diving experience and my wifes bronze rescue swimming work that she did years ago. The fact that the windows were wound up but broke as we rolled, and that there was a crane mounted on the back which prevented it from continueing to roll, all these factors saved us, plus luck and endurance. My rib is killing me now as a result of being swept hard onto the crane underwater, as I forced my way out on the upstream side. The worst part was thinking while I was getting out that my wife was still stuck and there was nothing I could do to help her as I'd used all my strength and all my air to save myself.
So as I was washed downstream feeling like a total scumbag, she had got out on the downstream side and was on the upturned truck screaming 'cause she thought I was still inside. It was the worst part for both of us. Another survival aspect, if another person had been in the cab, someone , maybe all of us would have drowned. It just doesn't bear thinking too much about all the what ifs.
luthier

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:29 +0000

I am glad you and your wife made it out safe.

Definitely someone up there was looking out for you.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby gruntre69 on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:48 +0000

luthier wrote:KTM........ yes my wife and I feel like something helped us outa there. I didn't know at the time that statistically very few ever get out of such a rollover. Glad I didn't know, cause not panicking definitely was another factor, plus my diving experience and my wifes bronze rescue swimming work that she did years ago. The fact that the windows were wound up but broke as we rolled, and that there was a crane mounted on the back which prevented it from continueing to roll, all these factors saved us, plus luck and endurance. My rib is killing me now as a result of being swept hard onto the crane underwater, as I forced my way out on the upstream side. The worst part was thinking while I was getting out that my wife was still stuck and there was nothing I could do to help her as I'd used all my strength and all my air to save myself.
So as I was washed downstream feeling like a total scumbag, she had got out on the downstream side and was on the upturned truck screaming 'cause she thought I was still inside. It was the worst part for both of us. Another survival aspect, if another person had been in the cab, someone , maybe all of us would have drowned. It just doesn't bear thinking too much about all the what ifs.

Sounds like one of those survival TV show stories! Bloody lucky, but also strong survival instinct! Well done mate!
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:37 +0000

all i can say is you 2 are soooooooo lucky!!!!! defanatly buy yaselfs a lotto ticket ;) however you may have used up all your luck in the rollover. like you said statisticly its amazing ya got out :o
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby amitch888 on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:51 +0000

Have to agree, your a very lucky pair! Good luck getting the lux all fixed up.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby luthier on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 3:35 +0000

Made front page in the Scone Advocate.
Not really something to be proud of, but useful as a warning to others.
http://www.sconeadvocate.com.au/news/lo ... 40783.aspx

I got the hilux running today and even drove it a few metres to get some firewood. A bit hairy with no brakes and a clutch master leaking since I cleaned it. There may be a cab in the wings for a couple of cases of beer. Sounds like a good price. Will proceed to fix it in all liklihood. Photos then if so.
Appreciate your concerns guys.
Cheers,
Dan
luthier

Return to General Discussion