Turbo or V6?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Re: Turbo or V6?

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 18 Dec 2011 5:58 +0000

jarrad2314 wrote:
danmcccc wrote:Youll b looking at big coin doing a rebuild and turbo conversion, it would be a good motor when done but bang for buck is just not there

Yeah I definitely know it'll cost a pretty penny :P I was also thinking of an old larger diesel, straight six pootrol or landbruiser either that or when I get off my P's go with a diesel V8, of course that's if it will fit :?

Jarrad,

other than putting a large six or V8diesel not being the smartest engine conversion for the hilux, it'll cost you a packet aswell.....why?

You'll struggle to fit a big 6 as the size in length of the engine will prohibit its install in the lux bay without major surgery.

Same with a V8 diesel like a Chev, the width is too much.

Then you have the major weight issues over the front end. Which will affect handleing....always try and keep any replacement motor as light as possible....if you can.

If your planning on keeping the hilux a good 10 years or so longer term then it wont really matter how much you spend on it as your pretty much knowing your not gonna get anything back.

if your engine is still running fine.....concentrate on other things on the truck whilst you source, build an engine in the long run.

another alternative may be to find a wrecked hilux with a small block v8 already in it and pinch the bits off it....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jarrad2314 on Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:53 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
jarrad2314 wrote:
danmcccc wrote:Youll b looking at big coin doing a rebuild and turbo conversion, it would be a good motor when done but bang for buck is just not there

Yeah I definitely know it'll cost a pretty penny :P I was also thinking of an old larger diesel, straight six pootrol or landbruiser either that or when I get off my P's go with a diesel V8, of course that's if it will fit :?

Jarrad,

other than putting a large six or V8diesel not being the smartest engine conversion for the hilux, it'll cost you a packet aswell.....why?

You'll struggle to fit a big 6 as the size in length of the engine will prohibit its install in the lux bay without major surgery.

Same with a V8 diesel like a Chev, the width is too much.

Then you have the major weight issues over the front end. Which will affect handleing....always try and keep any replacement motor as light as possible....if you can.

If your planning on keeping the hilux a good 10 years or so longer term then it wont really matter how much you spend on it as your pretty much knowing your not gonna get anything back.

if your engine is still running fine.....concentrate on other things on the truck whilst you source, build an engine in the long run.

another alternative may be to find a wrecked hilux with a small block v8 already in it and pinch the bits off it....

Well I was thinking of a landcruiser V8 the 4.5 litre one so not too sure if it will fit. Figured out a rough idea of what to do though I'm gonna go and get the engine compression/pressure tested to see how it is holding up (almost 400,000 and still no black smoke from exhaust) if it turns out that itis okay I will continue with the turbo and exhaust to match, not too much boost on the turbo though as to not root the engine :P If it isn't good enough I'll see what I can do :D

tigger wrote:Jarrad don't mean to throw a spanner in the works but you might be sorter forgetting option three? Which is to hold on to coin save up and trade up to a newer model hilux.
Turbo and to rebuild an old motor is going to cost you alot of coin but you will never recoup that money.
v6 commodore same again and all the headaches that go along with it. There will be a heap of hiden cost that will simply add up.
The forerunners still and old bus and you could end up thrown a heap of coin to keep it running.
just maybe your better off putting it towards a newer model and puttn up with what you've got for now.
What ever you decide good luck and i hope it works out for you, jst thought i would put it out there.

Yeah mate I originally thought of that, but then realized that if I got a new or newer lux I would be putting almost the same amount into it for a SAS (love the solid axle on mine 8-)) I see what you mean though, kinda attatched to the old girl though :oops: :oops:
jarrad2314

Postby kyle300exc on Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:11 +0000

Jarrad Id just be putting some money aside for a turbo / 2nd motor and keep driving it. 12 months or so you could completley change your mind, atleast you will have some coin there ready to go. Another alternative maybe if this is your daily drive to grab a little run about for work to prolong the life in the old girl. Thats what Ive done in my Lux now sick of racking the Ks up on her.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby jarrad2314 on Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:22 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:Jarrad Id just be putting some money aside for a turbo / 2nd motor and keep driving it. 12 months or so you could completley change your mind, atleast you will have some coin there ready to go. Another alternative maybe if this is your daily drive to grab a little run about for work to prolong the life in the old girl. Thats what Ive done in my Lux now sick of racking the Ks up on her.

Yeah well I've been wanting to get her off the road for a while now to get the time to do some touch up repairs and stop some leaks in the body. I am definitely saving up though :D Need to get my bike licence sorted to at least get some sort of cheap bike :)
jarrad2314

Postby Luxasaurus on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 7:06 +0000

I said that when we went to superexpensiveauto, If you save for a turbo etc, And decide its not worth it. Youve got cash for other things on the ute. And you already have a TTR... thats cheap enough. *Wheelies alright on the road too 8-) :lol: 8-) never leave the keys when im near**
For the tailgaters, If you think im going slow now. Wait till i hit my low gears

GU Patrol ;) 4" Lift 10"F/12"R Fox shocks, TD05 18G Turbo, 33" Bighorns, Rear locked and the usual comfort mods
Luxasaurus

Postby wombat40 on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:16 +0000

Don't waste you rmoney on the old girl, she's done you right and now it's time to trade up. Save your money and get your arse into a late model TD and enjoy the increased comfort, fuel economy and capability.

Cheers

Greg
Life's a tour not a race, just don't get in my way when I'm touring.
wombat40

Postby danmcccc on Tue, 20 Dec 2011 4:31 +0000

im seeing alot of for and against keeping the old beast, but what driving did u wana do? For hard wheeling u can beat the model youve got, but its not the comfiest so if u wana do some touring then trade up. The old girls still pull 6-10k
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby jarrad2314 on Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:28 +0000

danmcccc wrote:im seeing alot of for and against keeping the old beast, but what driving did u wana do? For hard wheeling u can beat the model youve got, but its not the comfiest so if u wana do some touring then trade up. The old girls still pull 6-10k

Well yeah I'm mostly looking at doing the more extreme side of things, the only touring I would really do is a trip up the cape but that wouldn't be for ages yet. Mostly just the extreme stuff though, plan to hook her up with some new suspension soonish, 33's and all that jazz :P you know after I harvest the money tree :lol:
jarrad2314

Previous

Return to General Discussion