Marshwa's Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Marshwa's Build

Postby Marshwa on Sun, 23 May 2010 7:35 +0000

Well it’s probably a bit late, but I thought better late than never. Really just wanted a place to record everything I’ve done to the lux so thought i might take the time and put my build together. SO here it goes:

Here's the boat as i bought it off my old man, completely stock apart from some sheep skin seat covers :lol: :

First of my things to do was suspension; I decided to go for wizard suspensions lift. With help from this forum, i decided it suited me the most, i plan on keeping the lux for a while so really wanted a kit that would last and even though it is a little bit more pricy compared to other kits around, i felt with this kit you get what you pay for. Another thing that attracted me to the wizard kit was the adjustable front end, meaning if i got into any trouble i could wind it down a bit and run some smaller tires on road, also the coils came pre compressed so i could install it myself. For the rear i went 2" tough dog medium load leafs, with the fabtech shocks which also came from wizzard:

Stock

The Goodies

Swapping

Kit fitted and driving

Alloy Side steps removed

Flex testing

Harry posing for the flex test :lol:

Next up was the tires, I chose 285/75x16 Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ's as i wanted to go as big as i could and as "chunky" as i could, but also planned on using them as dailies hence why i didn't go the MTZ's. These tires are fitted on 16x8 dynamic sunnies with a 0 offset:

Flex test

I didn't plan on chopping the guards, but as this was the only HIlux fitted with aftermarket control arms and this big of tires at the time in Rockhampton, no one could get the wheel alignment correct (with enough castor) to clear the guards, so I had to do a little surgery.:

I also trimmed the body mounts but do not have a picture of this at the moment

Now the suspension and tires were done the next thing on my list was a UHF, luckily i landed a tx3440 for my birthday so went about installing this. I installed the main unit under the centre console right behind the cup holder, and ran the headset out over to the passenger side above the footwell, there was holes previously drilled where a car phone kit had been, so i used these holes to mount the clip for the headset.:

The next most important thing for me was a compressor to allow me to inflate my tires after 4wdriving, because I mostly off-road on sand. I installed this on the driver’s side of the engine bay in the corner against the firewall:

Next mod was a set of Skog's diff breathers, ran theses alongside the brake lines from the rear and mounted them against the firewall on the passenger side.

An xrox tube bar was then fitted, big thanks to Matt from Monster Rides for getting it to me for a great price and going out of his way to get it too me in under 2 days, cheers mate! Anyway this went on pretty easy, only took a couple of hours didn't get any pics of the fitting process however sorry. I also knocked up some rear mud flaps using 3mm rubber sheeting from Clark rubber as my stock ones kept getting torn off:

Finally for now, I fitted pacemaker headers and a 2.5" exhaust. We also changed the t section to a y section and removed the pointless hump that came with the 05's exhaust system. At first I had a hi flow muffler, which was alright but still didn't really have much of a note to it, so went back and got a hot dog installed instead. Defiantly A lot louder now, I can still keep it at a reasonable noise level if a drive lightly, but sure has a nice ballsy sound to it when the foot hits the floor :D :lol: :lol:

Still a big list of mods to come when time and money allows, firstly i think will be a set of sliders followed by lockers, and we'll see where i go from there. Cheers, Max

Lastly just a couple poser pics haha

Last edited by Marshwa on Fri, 20 Apr 2012 7:21 +0000, edited 4 times in total.
Marshwa

Re: Marshwa's Build

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 24 May 2010 7:51 +0000

Looking good mate....you need to powder coat black the rear bar....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby mann on Mon, 24 May 2010 11:04 +0000

looks the goods man

:)
mann

Postby Marshwa on Mon, 24 May 2010 11:41 +0000

thanks guys, yeh i will be painting the role bar and rear bar black as soon as i get a couple of spare days
Marshwa

Postby Bull on Mon, 24 May 2010 12:41 +0000

Lookin' real good there Marshwa. Some well thought out mods. It's always good to see another modded 'Lux and I have to say that xrock bar really suits yours. I didn't really like them when I saw the first pics but they've grown on me. 8-)
Bull

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 24 May 2010 1:40 +0000

They help approach angle HEAPS compared to the ARB bars.....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Mon, 24 May 2010 3:03 +0000

looking good man, how is the v6? did the exhaust make a massive difference?
hilux_bondy_007

Postby Marshwa on Mon, 24 May 2010 3:54 +0000

thanks bull, yeh the Xrox bar is great, may not look the greatest but compared to the old snow plow :lol: its amzing the angles i can now drive straight on.

I love the v6, pulls hard enough for now and if i do get sick of it in the future i can always go for a raptor supercharger.

As for the exhaust, i wouldn't say it made a massive differnce, the main thing i got out of it was a nice note :D but i feel its got a little more pull of the line with a bit more torque lower down in the rev range, nothing to mind blowing though.
Marshwa

Postby WinM70 on Mon, 24 May 2010 4:33 +0000

Nice mate, I particularly like the front end suspension. :)

Cheers,
Lee.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

Postby VMN on Mon, 31 May 2010 6:21 +0000

Hey Marshwa,
Could you help me out? I am writing an article on IFS suspension and would like some photos of the Wizard kit fitted up.

Could you send me a couple of high res photos of the suspension on your truck to rodw@vehiclemods.net.au?

Can you also give me permission to use it in an article in Custom Utes on IFS suspension?

Thanks mate, your help would be much appreciated, but I would need them by tomorrow so I am hoping you have a few from our buildup handy
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Marshwa on Mon, 31 May 2010 8:10 +0000

yeh Rod no worries i'll put a few together and send them through. And yes you have my full permission mate, bet it'll be a great write up.

I sent through a few of the kit fitted and the fitting process, Hopefully there what you after, if not i have a few more i could send of the specific compents if you need.
Marshwa

Postby VMN on Mon, 31 May 2010 8:19 +0000

Thanks amte. Sorry to stuf fup your thread. I thought I sent you a PM!
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Re: Marshwa's Build- rear locker and flexi flares fitted

Postby Marshwa on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 2:40 +0000

Small up date-
Got a rear locker fitted today, was stoked with the service from the guys at rocky ARB, dropped the lux in at 8.30 told them where i wanted the swited and went on my way. Got a call at 3 saying she was all done and good to go, so no hassels cant wait to test it out this weekend :D :D

Also fitted bushranger flexy flares, thanks Maddog again for the cheap sale :D . And also painted the rear bar and roll bar black a couple of weeks ago. I scrathed up the roll bar pretty bad leaning my bike against it so have taken it off and have to re paint it again soon.

Going up to Stanage bay this weekend to do a bit of riding so will hopefully find somewhere on the way to test my locker out and get some pics of the lux in action. Will update with some pics in the next couple of weeks when i've settled down from my holidays haha
Marshwa

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 7:35 +0000

Good to see you have made a build thread.

The xrox bar makes such a difference over the toyota bar, completely changes the look your car.

Gota love the Black on the White ute. 8-)

Looking forward to the updated pics.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby KTM525EXC on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:38 +0000

good stuff Marshwa

looking 4ward to the pics 8-)

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Marshwa on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 9:48 +0000

Well after a bit of a delay, i finally got round to washing the lux and taking some photos of the flexi flares and the roll bar.

Didn't end up getting any pics from stanage, camera died early in the trip and spent most the time riding rather then testing the locker :lol: :lol: .

I think these are the only ones i got of the lux on the trip, loaded ready to leave and just a little track leaveing the camp ground:

And my mates stock navara for a bit of camparision:

And just a couple in the yard showing the painted goods and flexi flares fitted:

Can't say enough about the locker, changes the approach needed for tracks so much. Love just being able to potter over tracks where before i'd be flying into them to keep momentum up. It by far the best mod i've made in terms of 4wd capability, can't wait to eventually do the front if i can ever sort out what i want to do with the front end :D
Marshwa

Postby amitch888 on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:30 +0000

Looks tough mate, ive got a soft spot for your xrox bar, looks tops on your ute!
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby MADDOG on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:57 +0000

It's looking really nice Max. Top quality install of the flexy flares too ;) :lol: . The rear bumper looks good in black. Great stuff mate. What are you undecided about with the front end? Are you thinking SAS? :twisted:
MADDOG

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 1:06 +0000

BEAUT UTE! needs a rear 1/4 chop :roll:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Marshwa on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 4:40 +0000

Thanks Mitch, was hard to look any worse then the chrome plow i guess. :lol: :lol:

Haha cheers again for the sweet deal maddog! Always thinking or planning something mate, SAS would be nice but just need to weigh up wheather its really what i want and then when i can do it if i decide too.

:twisted: We'll see what buddy comes up with when he gets round to designing his rear bar hey Max :D :D
Marshwa

Next

Return to Member Build Ups