Whitey's Lux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Whitey's Lux

Postby bubs on Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:07 +0000

so whats new with the lux?
bubs

Postby Parr on Sat, 14 Aug 2010 8:03 +0000

bubs wrote:so whats new with the lux?

is this the one that was at yours last weekend???
Parr

Postby bubs on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 9:15 +0000

Hmm

Buddy
bubs

Postby KTM525EXC on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:49 +0000

WOW thats cool!!!! awsome departure angle now 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Whitey's Lux

Postby bill_i_am on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 6:30 +0000

Love it!
I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
bill_i_am

Postby Jack S on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 6:00 +0000

what a great looking tray! :twisted: 8-)
Jack S

Postby whitey89 on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 6:19 +0000

Yeah, to say the least I'm very happy with it. I'm getting the post together atm to catch it all up to what's happened over the last couple of months.
whitey89

Postby Parr on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 6:42 +0000

whitey ment you the other weekend at bubs, the tray came up great. bet your happy with it heaps better than a tub
Parr

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 8:00 +0000

DAMN!

OK, Bubs...how much mate? Id love that thing on the back of my truck....

Kit form? flat packed? discount for cash ;) you know you wanna build one for me Buddy :twisted:

lucky bustard whitey...enjoy mate! :cry:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 8:09 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:DAMN!

OK, Bubs...how much mate? Id love that thing on the back of my truck....

Kit form? flat packed? discount for cash ;) you know you wanna build one for me Buddy :twisted:

lucky bustard whitey...enjoy mate! :cry:

I am pretty sure they sell them at Ikea max, you've got an alen key haven't you? ;) But I am with you that is a sweet tray.

Whitey I can't believe that the last time I saw you you were squeeling at a few bushstripes at Coffs and now look what you are doing to your little girl.

Looks great mate congratulations.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Ox Man on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 8:19 +0000

Tough as mate

Love ya work!
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby whitey89 on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 4:57 +0000

I ended up mounting the compressor down on the left panel in the cubby hole as it was out of the way and kept a flat packing space. This photo is taken sitting inside the tub looking towards the rear of the car. I used the existing bolts that the drawers had utilised to save drilling another hole and mounted it to a small piece of plywood. It also helped elevate it as I used a another spacer in case the car went swimming and the tub wasn't completed water-proof...which it isn't.

After the compressor was mounted I put a couple of 12v 2-pin plugs in the rear. I find they have a better contact than a cigarette or merit plug and family has been using them for as long as I can remember with not issues.

And this is what it looked like with the compressor always on board and power always on tap when needed.

I got some diff breathers happening to replace the factory items thanks to this great place. And, it's bright blue I'd never done it before and it took me a bit over an hour to get it all done and all neatly tied up and whatnot.

After a trip to glasshouse they stayed high and dry

In March/April I put in a 40mm Tough Dog Adjustables Lift Kit which gave me that extra confidence off road I wasn't going to hit as much, then I also took off the ridiculous side-steps that were quite bendy after a trip to Coffs Harbour. This was taken at Glasshouse one trip:

Also went up to Landcruiser and had a play

After speaking with ARB, OL, TJM who were all less than helpful I was pointed in the direction of All-Terrain 4x4 in Victoria who were able to provide me with some proper recovery points (rated to 8.0t) for the front of the 09 lux.

I had to make an adjustment to the inner splash guard of the ARB bar because of the extra thickness created by the recovery point but once the bolt goes in nobody knows.

In late June the lux went in for a front ARB air locker to help deal with the woeful ability of the IFS. Dropped it off at 7.30am, went to pick it up at 5.30 and here it is atop the hoist. They couldn't find an air leak. So it stayed there overnight and they had it fixed by 8am the next day.

Then in early July it was time for a winch. I went with a Tigerz11 12000lb winch (single speed) with the plasma rope and decided that instead of paying $300 for fitting I'd give it a go with a mate. Easy enough right? It would have been if the bolts that were supplied were long enough, and that we hadn't realised this at 9.10 on a thursday night, just after bunnings had closed. I figured it's only positive and negative right? just really thick wires so I gave it a go myself. All went well, bar taking 2 nights to do it. Apologies for the quality, they were taken on camera phone.

Bullbar in the front yard still yet to find out the bolts were too short.

Then all assembled with the control box mounted up. Had to drill a couple of new holes in the bullbar - thanks to my great uncle for the use of your drill.

After the locker was installed something was missing from the trasmission guard. I think a bolt must have been missed/not tightened which resulted in me ripping the transmission guard in half going through a mud hole. I didn't hit anything whilst driving through so I reckon a mixture of mud and force of water must have done it, I could be wrong though.

On another trip out to Landcruiser after I got the locker, about to go up Camp Road for the first time...after a photo

This was the campsite at 'cruiser, and how I had pictured the car would be set up for camping. Absolutely brilliant with the fridge, power, lights, everything was working exactly as I had planned it would.

Another poser from 'cruiser.

now for part 2...
whitey89

Postby Glenn k on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 6:32 +0000

geez whitey, you know how to leave a bloke in suspense,
i am very interested to see how you went from a great tub set up like you had, to ripping it off completly
looks like a great tray though

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:44 +0000

did you post a vid on youtube of you getting onto that log? i recon i seen it :lol: gr8 build m8.

so do you still use your tub for touring dutys?

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby whitey89 on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 9:33 +0000

haha yeah, this one? http://www.youtube.com/user/daniel3408#p/u/3/q0glrkeuNMc

And some more vids:
Trip to DI in mate's 98 lux, 33s, 2+2 -http://www.youtube.com/user/daniel3408#p/u/2/8mXaSsRCBpY
Scenic Rim - http://www.youtube.com/user/daniel3408#p/u/0/OzbY2Bl22TU
Glasshouse - http://www.youtube.com/user/daniel3408#p/u/1/_f90UgjzPFA

Still editing one from our last trip to landcruiser, most it spent in cruiser canyon
whitey89

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:39 +0000

yep thats the one lol :D
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Marshwa on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:01 +0000

whats the go with that tray is it on this rig? F-ing hot whoever has!

Bullbar and spottis topped in off nicly man, looking great!
Marshwa

Postby whitey89 on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 4:43 +0000

haha yeah Marshwa, it's on this rig. Sort of all started coz QT denied the body lift
whitey89

Postby whitey89 on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 4:48 +0000

AND NOW?

Now I'm selling the drawers (on hold atm - see for sale section) and canopy (still for sale) and am taking the car in a whole new direction.

Canopy - off
Drawers - out
Rear power - with the drawers
Custom tray by budscustoms? - yes please
3" custom exhaust? - why not
SAS? - you betcha
33s for city and 35s for play? - sure
Am I a drug dealer? - no

All these decisions were made about 2 weeks ago. The last pic of the rig at 'cruiser with the tent was how it looked up until 2wks ago.

Canopy off and drawers out

Rear bar off

Nice bit of ingenuity on my behalf I reckon, it's a bugger when you've got time off and stuff to do and mates are busy. I place an allen key in one bolt hole in the chassis and I could sort of lower it down without the same amount of stress on the bolts and bar. The rear tail-light is removed to get rid of the wiring from the canopy and the rear-bar.

Sure I could have had the exhaust modified so it sat above the chassis, but what a good excuse to get a new 3" exhaust? (old exhaust below)

Tub off and replaced with custom tray courtesy of budscustoms

Now it's booked in for a sas in late november/december with Buddy which is going to be awesome. When that happens some brand new 33" muddies will be going on to make everything look more in proportion and with a new diff ratio, the 33s should suit the new gearing well. I'd love to get some 35s too but that will depend how much the 33s are lacking. Looking at bfg km2s because of their great on-road manners and little noise, and if the time comes I want bigger boots for weekends, some 35" claws.

I can't wait to get that extra articulation happening and reduce the pucker moments caused by the IFS in the fun stuff.

I'm thinking about where I can mount the compressor now the tub and drawers are gone. Under the bonnet is gone because of the ABS brake controller and DBS, I'm thinking behind the rear seat. I'd have to do the rear-seat fold-down mod, but it would be worth it I reckon, easy access and hidden from the elements and passengers' feet knocking it too.
whitey89

Postby joshmackay23 on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 5:20 +0000

hey mate! the lux looks like its going awesome

any chance i could get some close up pics under the tray? mainly where it connects too chassie.

would be big help. good luck with rest of build! 8-)
Understate and Over Deliver
joshmackay23

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups