Quinny's Mistress - The Bitch is Back...

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Quinny's Build - Updated Pics!

Postby Matthew on Fri, 24 Apr 2009 4:33 +0000

Quinny,

which locker did you get and did you put 'em on the front or rear? How much?

Had a great time in the northern Vic High Country. It was fantastic weather (although down to -5C on Wednesday night.

Cheers,

Matt
Matthew

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 24 Apr 2009 6:09 +0000

Front ARB air locker.... 1200n - 1400 with fitting... I'd bought alot of gear through ARB so its probably a tad less....

Glad you had a great week camping mate and yeah.. they reckon we are going to get snow this weekend... FarQ yeah...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Fri, 24 Apr 2009 6:22 +0000

Take your time mate. Anyway it would be good to see the finished job with the flares on. I might add, I only added mine after I covered the sides on a wet muddy road in 2WD so I know how you feel.
rodw

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 24 Apr 2009 7:43 +0000

Well done Quinny. :) :)
You've got a great combo happening there mate. ;)
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby KTM525EXC on Sat, 25 Apr 2009 1:43 +0000

hey quinny
how much ya dynamics set ya back? where did ya purchase them from?
cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Possum on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 5:37 +0000

Quinny where are the pics from your weekend you have been slack
Should have lots of wet mud or was it snow
Hope you packed your thermals
The problem with doin' nothing is that you never know when youre finished
Brad
Possum

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 5:40 +0000

Will do... I have the shits majourly with something that happened on the way home so Im focused on getting it sorted before I do the right up.... Stay Tuned...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny34 on Sat, 02 May 2009 6:55 +0000

As mentioned... This is what really pissed me of after my trip... The following are photos of my fuel tank and the mud I got out of it... All up I reckon around 1 - 1.5 kg's of mud!!!!

Inside the hose before entering the tank

In the collector

some of what came out...

The collector pickup After the first round of cleaning...

The bottom of the steel filler nozzel...

And what cam out of it...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny34 on Sat, 02 May 2009 7:03 +0000

Luckily I had a spare tank at home a member had sent me earlier as a spare... It was easier to swap tanks than clean the original... its still got around 60litres of fuel in it and at least 1 litre of shit in it...

The issue is (I'll post up another thread as a warning to others)... that if you convert your style side to a tray the caps are diferent than those used on the cab chasis models. The cab chasis has a locking cap that seals firmly and should stop 99% of the shit getting in... the style side has a cap that couldnt stop shit if it tried...

I've got some new hose and have re routed the filler to the other side of the car as the main issue is the location of the filler. It was in the mudguard exposed to all the shit the MTZ's dish out... (and they dish out bucket loads)

I've also added a new Delphi 296 filter prior to the factory filter. Its in for a service Monday and will get the factory filter replaced also...

Battery's almost dead on the laptop but I'll followup on the story of the camp trip afterwards...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 May 2009 7:51 +0000

Bugger Quinny.....is the engine ok? :o :shock:

Thats the first I heard of a case like that....when I started reading through I was wondering WTF? How do you get that much mud in there?

What brought it to your attention? Fuel filter light or engine stall......Hope your rigs still ok?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 May 2009 8:01 +0000

Quinny, Yo got to wonder about the intelligence of the guy who built your tray. He should have given you some advice.
rodw

Postby Possum on Sun, 03 May 2009 4:31 +0000

rodw wrote:Quinny, Yo got to wonder about the intelligence of the guy who built your tray. He should have given you some advice.

They fit alot of trays to hiluxs they should be aware of this issue if not i think Quinny will
I Still have a spare tank sitting in the top of the shed just in case
Last edited by Possum on Thu, 21 May 2009 5:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with doin' nothing is that you never know when youre finished
Brad
Possum

Postby Quinny34 on Sun, 03 May 2009 8:59 +0000

He definatly knows now... I had a long chat with him this week... He did warn me prior to getting the tray that they are a shit of a spot and to get a long range tanks as they mount up diferently.

The guy knows his shit re building trays... just doesn't get out of his comfort zone. I've moved the filler to the other side and used some hose from Enzed to make it all happen. I used a very heavy duty thick hose fro the filler to stop it from kinking but I'll need to rejig it and get another bit to replace it.

The hose is not quite long enough for the setup to work properly and its so tough it fails to sseal tightly over the tank inlet. AND I still cant use the high flow :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Once done, the Tray guy will make sure all Toyo DC are done this way... I'd also imagine my canopy will be much cheaper now!.

But I think I've got the majority of the issues sorted, I'l get some more hose (Or was thinking that rubber rings around the filler for the hose to go over may make it seal.) I filled it yesterday and the only issue I had was that the high flow was still to tricky to use easily, and that it overfilled into the hose and then slowly leaked out from the side. No big problems until I get it sorted, I was actually forcing as much as I could in so it took some effort to over fill it.

mmaaxx,

Yeah the warning light came on, (BTW it doesn't just beep... its stays on... and on... and on..) Problem was we where between Eskdale and Wodonga with no fuel in between. Main issue I had was that I ran the tank dry to get home. The factory filter was so clogged to begin with it didn't even drain when I removed the screw, hit the plunger and mud spat out followed by about 30 seconds of shitty muddy water!!!!

It really says something for the filter as the motor is still cracking. No isses. I've had to drain the factory one 2 times since before I replaced the tank. The reason being the tank still had so much water a mud in it it was still picking it. I only drove bare minimum until I could swap the tanks over...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bull on Sun, 03 May 2009 9:17 +0000

Holy $h!t. :shock:
Thanks for the heads up on the filler caps. I'll be checking mine before it leaves the bitumen!
Bull

Postby McSumWay on Sun, 03 May 2009 9:34 +0000

You can buy the cab chassis plug from Toyota but you also need the filler neck as the neck is different. They have a key lock on the cap and a much better rubber seal.

The genuine trays change over these items when removing tubs and you should always run the fuel filler outside the mudguard to avoid this and also any sticks etc from catching on the filler and ripping it out.

Alternatively find a wrecked cab chassis and get the filler and cap - don't forget the key. Should be cheaper.

Warren
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby Quinny34 on Sun, 03 May 2009 9:37 +0000

Anyway, I've also added a Delphi 296 filter prior to the factory gig, I'll get some pics and post up also...

So the weekend that was before the weekend that should never have been... Was Awesome.....

We got to drive in the blizzard like conditions that came through on the weekend...

We didn't get to many action shots as the wether was to bad for camera's but this track was a killer...

This blokes LC was a machine... problem was he had a broken axel and his compresssor (the sort that runs from the motor) had a leak so even his front lockers where buggerd.

The track was pretty steep and the 10 or so cars prior to us had chewed the shit outa it. He ended up turning around and heading home, my mate in his Prado then went through and got up to the next section before ending up in tears. One of the guys in a cruiser came back down and tried to get him through the muddy chewed out section but after 30 minutes of trying and making it into a swamp, we turned him around and he came back down also.

The guy in the cruiser than had some issues, we thought he also may have to turn around, but on his last attempt he got a long run up from down the bottom and got on up...

My mate turned to me and strongly recommended I dont go up as we had all had enough of running around in the mud and rain. But I couldn't... It would have shat me all weekend... So from halfway up, I've hit the lockers and existied the wash away I'd parked in... and drove it like I stole it... turns out, it wasn't necessary.. the MTZ's and locker just drove up with more grip than we had trying to walk it...

I stopped a bit futher up and waited for the passengers to rock back up, again just started of with no major issues....

So, result of the weekend,

Capability, Awesome,
Finish, needs some work
Needs flares desperatly (Haven't got around to ordering and I have a set of rubber flares I'll wait to fit)
Need to sort out that tank (Pretty much done just need to make filling easier)

So... It was a little bitter sweat upon return but the guys we went with where awesome and a great time was had by all, even in the rain... All up around 12 vehicles and around 20 - 30 people. The guy at the Benambra pub shit himself trying to take all the food orders.... :lol: :lol: :lol: He was the only unhappy camper..

And so we packed up and headed of late Sunday after the snow drive..

Cant wait for July.. Hopefully we get snow a Tallarook.
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alby on Sun, 03 May 2009 11:13 +0000

Great pics Quinny, though I am sure you could have done without the tank dramas, you were lucky that there was no major damage.

Thanks for the heads up on the filler, they are starting to make my tray next week so I will have to get that sorted.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Quinny34 on Sun, 03 May 2009 4:05 +0000

Yeah Alby... make sure they put it outside the mudguard and not outside the body as the tray sticks out furth than the body (will be clearer when you have it attached). If they cant mount it on the original side, get them to put it on the drivers side as the bend and turn is much more subtle and any good hose should retatin its shape when mounting the filler......

All..

Yep, Awsome weekend but what a mop up... probably goes to show that no matter how keen you are for the trip, make sure you happy with the preperation of your rig before heading out... I wasn't... but thoguth I'd take it easy... But once you're out there... well... you just gotta have a go...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bluedogs on Fri, 08 May 2009 6:36 +0000

Thats a hell of a story with the tank mate. Cant agree more about being 100% happy with set up before tackling the bush.
bluedogs

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 08 May 2009 6:52 +0000

Yep!... but its hard not to rush.... you've got a weapon you've spent your cash on that you need to test out... but yeah... get it right first and then go hard...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups