Quinny's Mistress - The Bitch is Back...

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Quinny's Build - Winch and Dual Filter Shots

Postby Possum on Sat, 30 May 2009 10:54 +0000

"Whole unit cost $110 plus some hose and a 1 way valve. Without the valve you'll get fuel draining back into the tank and the car will run then stop after a few seconds... "

Just a thought do you need the one way Valve i fitted a similar filter to my old cruiser without one and fuel didn't drain out and it ran with no issues is there something different with fitting them to the lux or not

I hate luxes without dual batteries and ABS you have sooooo much room to put stuff
Last edited by Possum on Sun, 31 May 2009 4:40 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with doin' nothing is that you never know when youre finished
Brad
Possum

Postby djs0276 on Sat, 30 May 2009 8:48 +0000

I plan on going for a run on Wednesday so will have a play with it then

That was rather prophetic Alby, you sure did get to give it a good work out!!!!!
Dirk
08 D/cab SR5, ARB Front & Rear Diff locks, ARB Deluxe Bar, Dual Battery, Lightforce 240HID's, ORS Rear Drawers, OME Nitro Sport Suspension kit, ARB Side steps & brush bars, Taipan 3" exhaust.
GIC Extreme Offroad Camper trailer
djs0276
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alby on Sun, 31 May 2009 11:27 +0000

djs0276 wrote:
I plan on going for a run on Wednesday so will have a play with it then

That was rather prophetic Alby, you sure did get to give it a good work out!!!!!
Dirk

I wanted to give it try but didnt expect to nearly wear it out :shock: , it is very strong and pulled very well but with the amount of use it got it is running a lot noisier and is isnt freespooling very well.

I will have to get it serviced to make sure all is ok. That synthetic rope is much easier to work with than the wire.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Quinny34 on Sun, 31 May 2009 4:32 +0000

Possum,

Not sure mate, another forum member had some issues and posted up the issue and the guy I grabbed the filter of mentioned it also for I didn't chance it. It was around $10... It may have something to do with the OEM filter allowing it to drain back if there is an air gap,,, Phook Nose/not sure...

Alby,

Sounds odd mate, best get it checked like you said... will suck having to remove the bullbar though...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SR509 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 9:48 +0000

Hey Quinney,

I have read this thread from start to finish now a couple of times. Very impressed with your build-up. You have an awesome looking truck that looks practical as well.

Just wondering when you are going to post your tyre and wheel fitting photos and the mods you did to make the 33's fit including the flares.

Broe
SR509

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:21 +0000

I'll get some shots this weekend... Was planning on going camping but me and the missues are just buggered from our recent Newcastle trip... (Funeral, Baby Shower, Birthday, Football, 4x4 repairs - not mine, and plenty of Scooners). Will probably head over to Pinnibar Sunday for a daily cruise before it shuts... should be plenty of snow and it's as wet as all buggery so with the recent events posted I'll be sure and prepare well...

So I'll get some shots Saturday whilst it's still clean...

Will also hopefully make a start on installing the UHF and Carputer...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:21 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:Will also hopefully make a start on installing the UHF and Carputer...

Cool, I'll be watching with interest when our very own IT professional puts a car PC together. Good luck with it mate.

Just noticed on your profile that you have a GME 3800. Does this double as a UHF CB as well as a commercial unit?
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:51 +0000

Typo in profile... it read GME TX380 UHF but was meant to be the GME TX 3420 detachable face unit.

http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-co ... ios/TX3420

Normally I only use the small antenna (1/8 I think), but looking to store a 50cm (1/4wave or) in the ute just in case. Not really into the radio side of things...

Dont get to excited about the carputer, I'm a bit of a minimalist,

Looking to use
Old Dell Inspiron 600 with a smashed screen, 1G Mem, 30G hdd (BT and Wireless thats built in is crap)
Belkin BT adaptor
8" touch widescreen Lillyput (will require cutting of the shroud and will cover part of the clock)
Cheap ODB Adaptor (Mate with his Playdo has pioneered this path for me Thanks Nathan)
Billion Wireless access point for comms
Centrafuse or Ride Runner for Shell
Ozi for traveling
Some form of USB radio device
Some form of Digital TV reciever
USB HUB
Media Hub for memory cards (Not sure where to put this yet for ease of use)
USB CD Rom (Again not sureof location)

Once installed like this the plan is to then,
Install rear speakers
Install amp
Build roof console,
install 2nd monitor for rear viewing of movies

If the laptop falls short I can always replace it later on with a much better unit as they become cheaper (read broken screen of a new work laptop .. :)
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 1:48 +0000

Doesn't sound very minimalist to me mate.

As for Media cards, I bought one of these a while ago from Harvey Norman. It handles every card imaginable ncluding SDHC which are not supported by XP natively.

Folds down to nothing.

Also supports micro SD without an Adapter. I did not buy it specifically for my Car PC, but it works a treat and saves permanently fitting a card reader somewhere.

I just have 1 USB extension lead under the glove box.

It goes back to a 4 port hub under the steering wheel.

This also feeds my USB GPS receiver which is under the windscreen wiper cowling.

Here is my USB DVD player

Bluetooth receiver is also tucked up behind the rear door behind a panel.

I'd try and get a seven port hub ( I got one from Jaycar).

The USB radio is an issue, worked perfectly while teting and now is basicaly useless. I am gong to get rid of it and rever to a head unit in a roof console.

I have thought about using one of these external sound cards ( I only hvae a 2.1 stereo System)
http://www.velvetsystems.com/E-MU.0202. ... erface.cfm

Or one of these DAC's

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-silverston ... 34706.html

Mainly beacuse I want an extra AUX input for the head unit

Anyway mate, look forward to the Quinny version!
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 2:15 +0000

Mate of mine mentioned above is using one of these and his seems rock solid with good integration with Centrafuse. Receptions okay and hooked up to the normal aerial.

http://au.farnell.com/silicon-laborator ... dp/1186925
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SR509 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 2:26 +0000

Have you guys looked at digital radio which is now available?
SR509

Postby SR509 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 2:29 +0000

Also, Quinney, you say you have 16 x 8 x 0p. So if you have a zero offset, it means you have widened your wheel track by 60mm which is 35mm too much according to the RTA for IFS. Solid beam you can do more. Were you aware of this and if so, is there anyway around it and do you know what the consequences are? I don't, I only just found out when pricing up some rims today and was shown "the book". Just wondering if it is worth the risk??? Apparently max you can go to is 20p.

Maybe if Max is lurking in cyber space there somewhere he may be able to shed some light onto this.

Broe
SR509

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 2:42 +0000

SR509, Not fussed to be honest, my tyres are to big anyway... the law is very black and white so if you go over a smidge in one area you may as well do it right, if it goes to court it wont make a diference if your a little over or have some medium mods... Extrame mods like a killer bullbar may be diferent as they may go for some form of negligence charge or similar.

To get 33's on a 20p rim you'd have to run an engineered lift kit or modify the body mounts again needing an engineers cert. I believe in keeping my rig safe, and I rarely let the kids drive it on there L's as its to much of a car to slam into someone...

But I think to many greenies and dogooders have gotten hold of the book and graffitied it!!!..

A lady at work just bought the exact same SR I got new, after driving mine she is blown away at how much better mine corners, feels and even stopped (Not sure about that one- I think it was the better feel of the drive train) compared to her stock SR (Not SR5 as stated prior to edit).... I wouldn't trust my family on the trips we do in a dodgey car...
Last edited by Quinny34 on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 6:51 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 6:15 +0000

Quinny,

With regard to the Silab, by all means gie it a go, don't extend the antenna lead, extend the USB lead instead! That may be my problem as I have a 5 metre extension to the Antenna coax and mounted the Silab at the back. Solder a short 200-300mm pigtail to the radio dongle and plug that into your antenna behind the head unit. Having said that, mine was fantastic for a while and it died one day and never came back.

For me it is a major job to relocate the Silab from the front to the back. I should try it one day!
rodw

Postby rodw on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 7:24 +0000

Quinny,

In relation to TV, here is an idea:
STRONG 5024 12VOLT Set-top box for caravans and RV's $150
http://www.itechworld.com.au/index1.html

If you went this way, you'd use one of the AUX video inputs on your Lilliput. Probably a heap more reliable and better recepetion than a USB based dongle.

Looks like they also do a 12 volt amplified TV antenna as well.
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 7:49 +0000

Shit, I actually own one of these anyway... from the pre HD LCD days... In all honesty though, TV is really for going bush to watch a car race or the like whilst having a few cans around the fire, or to keep in touch with the races whilst we are traveling... not that its super important just a nice to have... Will check it out

Thanks again Rob...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:56 +0000

Quinny, I did a bit more research on this. I think the Set top box is the way to go for in car TV. You could also consider Satellite TV from the same mob but to get full coverage you would need to have a friendly person in a rural area that would allow you to use his place as an address to get the free to air channels unlocked. That would get you Nine, Seven and Imparja Australia wide. My monitor has a DVI-B connector on it, so I could plug a HDMI cable straight into it. for Full HD support (even if there are not enough pixels on the screen to support it).

In my searching, it seems Timewaster on this forum might have some experience with both Sattelite TV and STB's so maybe send him a PM.
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 7:54 +0000

Finally got it Dyno'd....

337nm @ RW
96.3 KW @ RW

Will be interested once the dump pipe is in how much extra I get... Not quite as good as the Steinbauer but I was running the 33's also.. Torque curve was smoother but that is just a tuning thing and the Stienbauer would be capable of that also...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Quinny's Build - Dyno Results -

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 9:04 +0000

Quinny,

Those figures if you add the general 30% power loss figure to the rear wheels will bring it up to 438.36nM at the flywheel.

I dont know how you equate the tyre diameter difference into these calculations, but still those figures are pretty good.

SR509 wrote:Also, Quinney, you say you have 16 x 8 x 0p. So if you have a zero offset, it means you have widened your wheel track by 60mm which is 35mm too much according to the RTA for IFS. Solid beam you can do more. Were you aware of this and if so, is there anyway around it and do you know what the consequences are? I don't, I only just found out when pricing up some rims today and was shown "the book". Just wondering if it is worth the risk??? Apparently max you can go to is 20p.

Maybe if Max is lurking in cyber space there somewhere he may be able to shed some light onto this.

Broe

Broe,

Yeah I know about that rule....not really bothered by it.... the 3inch lift is already too much, as is the 33 inch tyre, the guard trimming, the straight through exhaust and the driver behind the wheel :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If you want to keep it legal, run a 2" lift and no bigger than 265/75x16 on a +20 offset...problem solved....if you wanna play with the big boys, you have to go a little bit past that.

Also, you being concerned about the wheel offset and the increase in track is negated by your search for a 33" tyre.....you'll get more of a safety concern running 33" tyres and less brake efficiency than you will with a wider offset that may add a little bit extra load to the hub and bearings, but the wider track adds to stability and Quinny will confirm this, that it makes the vehicle much more stable both on road and when your balancing in the air off road!

Just my opinion, not the be all and end all, each to their own at the end of the day.

re: Digital radio, has anyone else got info on this?

I'd love to tune in some of the US country music radio stations on me hilux....YEEHAA! :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Quinny's Build - Dyno Results -

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 9:09 +0000

Oh no... he'll have another set of bull horns mounted to help with reception... :lol:
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups