DIY Transfer case guard

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: DIY Transfer case guard

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 8:14 +0000

Rod.
Happy to shout you a beer as well for one of your transfer case protectors as well. :D :D
You have both put alot of thought and time into these projects. And well done.
The transfer case itself is fairly robust and on the new lux they have got it above the crossmember. The old one was very low.
After seeing both you ideas on the project I did come up with one myself. Me being lazy and the thought of hanging onto a screaming angle grinder and welder I lost interest very quickly.
My idea involves using channel, cut to length bevelled on the ends and put into a CNC mill to quickly drill the holes. And the cutter would provide clearance underneath the front tailshaft boss.
Then set up in a jig so welding can be done to close it off without distortion. Would look pretty agricultural but would be functional. I havent measured it up yet and its one for the future. I have a really ugly longrange tank at the moment than needs a custom bash plate made for it.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 6:18 +0000

Skog,

me and Rod have been discussing the birth of our 2 little items :lol: and also some other related projects too.

I was keen on this bashplate becoming a permanent fixture, but in amongst the analysing of it all, Ive come across a better idea/design that will take a little bit more work over time.

So this transfer bashplate will stay on my hilux, until the new version gets built over time thorugh the year. Holding me cards close to me chest but the new design will be awesome....hopefully doesnt add too much weight(hint hint ;) )

Kind of getting excited with me new found confidence in fabricating :lol:

Its also like Rod mentioned in an earlier post, a good way to get practise and hone you 'fab' skills before doing or attempting anything that may be more visual, since this is sitting below the vehicle, it would be more function than form type of thing, so I'd recommend it to anyone, if you got some time and wanna try something new, give it a shot.

edit: Im off to do the finishing touches on it now, should get some pics up by tonight.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:45 +0000

Ok fella's...heres me DIY Transfer Case Protector inspired by the great Rod himself :lol:

As one member on the US forum TTORA(Toyota Territory Off Roaders Association) mentioned, "Yep, the transfer sure is protected....from small arms fire that is :lol: "

So I start with the mandatory new versus old pic-

Followed by one with a spirit level. Mind you Im not holding it level, Im holding it to the same angle that the TJM FUG is sitting at if continued onwards.

Followed by a couple from different angles. I ended up using a metal bogg type product to smooth everything out and make it look "pretty" :oops: but it didnt end up that way as you can tell by the ruff surface look when it was painted.

Now this is going to be temporary for I have seen a brighter light....halleluyah 8-)

I got sent the following pic from a Yank forum member and will make it up during this year so I can rock crawl and slide the belly of my beast over obstacles and not worry about transfer case damage.

Shown in pink-

Will need to make up some slider type mounts to the chassis rail, then weld across from rail to rail a crossmember at the rear of the transfer case, then use 5mm metal plate to weld up the shape needed and bolt onto the new crossmember and to the rear of the TJM Transmission Guard.

Thanks for the inspiration Rod :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:16 +0000

No doubt about it mate, we make a great team! Looks good and I don't mind the hammertone finish, now go and edit that thread and nobody will be none the wiser. :lol: Sorry about leading you astray on that one. From your pics and mine, the Tcase itself must be about 30mm above the TJM guard, so your Mark 2 version has plenty of room above it. Not sure if 5mm plate would be necessary, pretty sure the TJM one is only 3mm thick but may be made of a stronger grade of steel.

By the time you are finished, the underbody protection on your rig will be better than a Sherman tank and you'll eventually be able to sell this to Skog to pay for the beers apparently you owe him :lol:

So what's your next project? We are all waiting with bated breath!
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:22 +0000

Just thought I'd add here, Allpro in the states makes a transfer case protector similar to this-

Link-http://allprooffroad.com/fjtrailarmor/fjskidplates/fjctcaseshield

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:31 +0000

rodw wrote:So what's your next project? We are all waiting with bated breath!

I think Im gonna need to invest in some decent tools before me next project.....a drop saw will be a must and maybe a bench drill.

Making this transfer case protector with an angle grinder and occasional hacksaw absolutely killed me arms :shock:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Lately Lux on Fri, 09 Jan 2009 6:46 +0000

I've been thinking of something along the lines of that one from the states. Thanks for posting the pic as I will use it as inspiration.

Brett
Lately Lux

Postby rodw on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 7:19 +0000

I have not given up on this project and made a start on the cross member to do someting like the US one above with a twist. I started off with running a string line accross between the chassis rail to get my head around this:

and then making some mounts out of some 10mm x 8mm plate. I used this diagram PM'd to me on another forum before I bought the Hilux as a base for the mounts:

This is what I ended up with:

I drilled a couple of holes wrong, but I can live with that:

I had some 65mm x 35 mm x 3mm RHS on hand so I started with a plan (but please check all my measurements.

Then I started to do a bit of welding:

Pretty rough some of them, wish I could be consistent with the stick welder !

I am planning to weld the left mount straight onto the RHS and I still have to get the cross member finished. I have to work out how to mount it onth eright hand side. Wheter to make it bolt on to the mount or just weld it on. Bit worried about getting the measurements spot on for welding, and if it was bolt on, I probably would not need to take the exhaust off to fit it.

The other part of the plan is to make this airtight so it can act as an air tank which will bridge accross via flexible hoses to each slider which will use the same mounting system as what I am using on this cross member. I bought a 1/4" BSP tap and a few brass nipples today so I will be adding some threaded holes for hoses nad drains. It'll only be pressurised at 100 psi so I think it will be plenty strong enough. This cross member should hold about 2.5 litres and with the sliders, I will have about 12-15 litres of air on board.

Once I get the cross member in place, I have to workout how to mount the plate to it, but the front will hang off the TJM one in the front and bolt to the bottom part of the crossmember which won't hold any air. Shouldn't be too hard. The left hand bolt holding the TJM tranny guard is the reference point for the right side of the cross member annd you will note I marked the relative position of this bolt on my plan.
rodw

Postby Trini_hilux on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 7:43 +0000

Nice work guys...
Trini_hilux

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 8:21 +0000

good work Rod,

crossmembers getting there mate. In regards to mounting the plate to the crossmember , how about welding either 2 tabs with boltholes in em on the bottom or a long flat piece the length of the bottom horizontal section with 2 bolt holes on either end. Then you can bolt the skid plate to this.

glad to see you found your motivation again ;)

C'mon boy, you can do it! keep it up mate! Do it for the team!

(Hows that for motivational :lol: )
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 9:04 +0000

Yeh Mmaaxx, I thought about that, but as it is, there will be no air in the bottom rail, so bolts can go through it. The 45 degree angle cuts on the ends of this rail are open, so I might end up tack welding nuts on each end inside of it, so the plate just bolts up into threaded holes. On the right hand side, I will be drilling a hole in that open end straight up into the right leg and stick a bung in it to drain water out I think. That way, the bung is protected up inside safe. I think I need to take a couple more pics to show you.

I don't want to add any more stuff below the crossmember for mounting points if I can help it as this will limit clearance. You got me thinking though, I might be able to close in the bottom rail and mount off some tabs and use that bottom rail for air. I'd probably want to add some gussets above the tabs to support them. If the tabs were 8mm steel, I could drill and tap threaded holes in them which would make the plates very easy to fit. I might be able to put a drain c**k on the bottom rail above the plate somewhere.
rodw

Postby rodw on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 9:45 +0000

So here was my revised thinking.

Two tabs on the rear edge supported by gussets and a drain c**k along the bottom. Let the guard extend back to protect it. Whoops, right hand gusset needs to be on the other side of the tab, but you get the picture. The drain c**k would be very well protected.

Only thing to consider is that the support legs are offset. One is at the front and the other is at the rear edge of the bottom rail. Will this matter? Should the tabs be on diagonal corners and be beside the legs? Surely, it does not need 4 bolts, one on each corner when you see what holds the TJM guard on.
rodw

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:12 +0000

Moved to member build ups.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby rodw on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 7:12 +0000

Hmm, I better get back to this one day as I did not get any further. Something to do with wrecking my knee I think and not being keen to get under a car again seeing as that is how I did it. Because I have got Brooksy's sliders now and I have not set them up to be air tanks, this is not really worth doing as I was planning on hooking this to the sliders as well.

Anyway, I'll get back to it one day, or get Brooksy to do something up for me.
rodw

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 9:24 +0000

No worries Rod.
Moved it over as it was in the general discussion thread. You started this project before Dave added the member build up forum. Under Max's strict instruction I ruthlessly searched the general discussion thread for completed fabrication projects... :)
Might give some others some ideas for there projects.
Cheers
Skog :)
Skog07

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 9:37 +0000

yeah it was fun making it as a first fab project...thou not ideal in design it is better than the factory piece of tin foil they have sitting there.....like Rod...will get back onto it one day :roll:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 19 Jul 2010 7:54 +0000

Hey guys,

To bring up an old thread and possibly an unfinnished one :lol: :lol: I have been thinking of makin one of these for some time and really like the cross member idea.

BUT has there been any thought to vibration mounts?? Id have thought that this would be a big issue and would need looking into.

The other idea id like is connecting to the gear box cross member and coming back to past the transfer case to the new cross member to prevent anything actually coming in contact with the transfer case. It would probably be less folding / wielding may be better protection.

How does this sound??
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby rodw on Mon, 19 Jul 2010 7:58 +0000

You are right, I never did finish this off... I think my rig is heavy enough! Avenger have a crossmember style guard that addresses this nicely if you are feeling lazy. They have a full kit of underbody armour right to the back axle. PM me mate VMN for pricing details.
rodw

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 19 Jul 2010 8:08 +0000

nah ill have more fun making it, It also gives be an excuse on not rebuilding my bathroom
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby rodw on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 4:34 +0000

Diegothecat wrote:nah ill have more fun making it, It also gives be an excuse on not rebuilding my bathroom

Good idea, ya don't want to do this:

This project I did finish! :lol: :lol:
rodw

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups