Stinky Whale's rear drawers

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Stinky Whale's rear drawers

Postby biscuitbits on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:18 +0000

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster (I think!)

I'm not sure if anyone is interested but I'm currently making a rear compartment for my 2009 SR5 extracab.
I tend to really like to see what other people have done so I thought I'd throw it up here in case someone wants to have a look.

Why is my car called the Stinky Whale? Well, it involved my recently purchased hilux, a trip to the South West of Western Australia, my hatred for rust, and a can of liberally applied rust inhibitor that, unbeknownst to me, had a key ingredient of fish oil.

Anyway! I've searched far and wide, considered different materials, and we finally decided on steel. I know a lot of people shy away from steel because of rust, and weight, but after doing some calculations, the weight is not an issue. I also intend to get the steel either painted of powder coated, so rust shouldn't be a major concern. The last drawers we made were made out of 12mm ply. They were excellent, and are now used in my friend's Dad's prado. Having just purchased a canopy for my extracab, the decision was made to redo the back properly.

Rough calculations were that the steel required for the frame would be betweeen 18-24m, and 20x20x1.6 works out to be between 900-1000g per meter. I picked up 4x6.6m length steel for $100 (normally around $120, but a friend knows a friend). We got to work.

please excuse the poor image quality, I tried to keep them nice and small for forum users with poor internet. The pictures also seem to be retarded unless you click on them.

Here you can see (on the right) the plans I made up on Sketchup for the wood drawers (how I was originally going to do it), but after a friend of mine and I discussed things and ran some numbers, we decided on steel, and I drew up a rough concept on Sketchup (on the left).

So rethinking the drawer itself, it's basically going to be a galley, with a cooker, 3.3kg gas bottle, all cooking utensils and probably a sink.

Practicing our welds first, (neither of us are welders or anything by trade, we just like to give things a go) and my buddy and I are putting the frame together. Welding, grinding, welding, grinding....cutting....welding, grinding :D

So far so good

Support uprights are welded in, and they are positioned for the mounting holes on the runners I bought. I am using 2 x 1.4 m 227kg non-locking runners. They are bloody heavy and quite expensive (around $220) but at an extension of 1.4m, they will give us a really nice usable drawer.

Testing things, just making sure we're planning correctly with the fridge in mind. We've decided to pick up some smaller, cheaper runners (probably 100kg locking runners) to build a platform for the fridge to slide out.

Sliders lightly mounted to get exact drawer measurements. The steel frame was so surprisingly light and strong, we were very happy. The runners add a lot of weight, they're probably 10kg each. You can see the back storage compartment behind the fridge starting to take shape. The idea is to have a flat L shaped surface to sleep on, with storage compartments to the right and the back left of the main drawer.

Here you can see how far we are after 1 weekend. The 40L water tank will be mounted at the rear of the drawer/fridge. The drawer itself is going to be around 1400ish long by 500ish wide, by 300ish tall.

That's all I've got to share at the moment, if people are interested I'll keep throwing pictures and progress up.
Thanks everyone.
biscuitbits

Re: Stinky Whale's rear drawers

Postby bradles87 on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:34 +0000

Looking good mate. Well done. Definitely keen to see more
bradles87

Postby NZMarkb on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 3:27 +0000

Great post mate thanks for sharing
Looking forward for the next instalment
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davbar65 on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 4:23 +0000

Top effort. Always good to see DIY in operation.
Looking forward to seeing how it develops.
davbar65

Postby biscuitbits on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:37 +0000

Thanks guys! Having lots of fun doing it. I'll post another update probably Monday after this coming weekend's work.
biscuitbits

Postby TRDLuxxy on Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:37 +0000

Solid effort!!
TRDLuxxy

Postby Jeffro2012SR5 on Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:51 +0000

Looking good bud, can't wait to see finished
Jeffro2012SR5

Postby Brewer on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 9:12 +0000

Looks like she'll be a good setup
Brewer

Postby biscuitbits on Mon, 20 Jul 2015 4:37 +0000

Hey guys,

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's coming along.
As promised, here is a bit of an update, after a productive, but somewhat slow feeling weekend. Lots of fun regardless though.

I've put the pictures in as links because I accidentally uploaded them at full resolution.

So the frame is basically finished, with only a few things left to go on with selftappers, but I wanted to get it sandblasted before that.

It was important to us that the whole thing is able to come out without too much fuss. I don't see it being out of the car often, but sometimes you need a ute, and to deny yourself that usability is probably unwise, so that was factored into our design. One thing we did (my friend's great idea) is on the four floor corners of the frame, we drilled and welded a nut into the tubing. The tubing is 20x20x1.6 mm steel, so we bought some (I forget, but I think it was 16mm round steel tubing) that slides directly inside the square tubing perfectly. We'll cut 4 pieces of the round tubing probably around 40 cm each, and these will act as braces. They will slide against the tub walls, the bolt will be tightened and no moving side to side. There's about a 10mm play wheel well to wheel well, so it needed to be tightened up. This will probably make more sense when it's finished and I can show it in use.

http://i.imgur.com/cwfcetr.jpg

These L brackets we made are to slide out from the frame to provide bracing for the side compartments. We are going to have them swivel out on a bolt, and have another bolt that slides into it to keep it straight and tight. Again, these are necessary because if they were welded onto the frame, the whole thing wouldn't slide out of the back because the L brackets would catch on the indentations where the tailgate is.

http://i.imgur.com/dczhkI3.jpg

Here are both sets of sliders mounted in place. 225kg 1.4m runners for the main drawers, and smaller (and lighter!!) 125kg 1000mm closed/850mm extended runners for the fridge.

http://i.imgur.com/jDrxqzF.jpg

This is just to test fit the fridge. I was a little worried because we didn't leave a lot of wiggle room for the Waeco CFX50, but because the fridge's design is actually thin at the bottom, fatter in the middle, and thinner in the top again, it worked out absolutely perfectly, with the bag.

http://i.imgur.com/53JQnbM.jpg

Decided to put the base of the drawers on some 3mm thick aluminium angle. Strong and light, provides a really nice foundation for your drawers. I picked up 6 meters of it for $60. You can see it on the previous picture with the fridge.

http://i.imgur.com/9DPbsok.jpg

No garage workshop is complete without an inspector.

http://i.imgur.com/Fw7Zyc9.jpg

Measuring for the primus cooker. This was actually a bit of a mission, and I may do a writeup of this separately to help any other people with this issue. The gas outlet of the primus cooker is on the right hand side of the cooker, so when you're trying to plan space efficiently, you don't want a thick gas hose to take up 20-50cm sticking out the right side, bending (it's not very bendy!) around so you can run it along the back of your stove to where the gas bottle is housed on the left of the cooker. This creates a big gap on the right of designated cooker space...quite annoying. We thought of a few solutions. One was to actually (bear with me, it's not as crazy as it sounds) mount the cooker backwards. This would mean the ass of the cooker is facing you when you pull out the drawer, and the gas outlet is on the correct side. Mount it on a swivel top (like a false floor) in the designated area, which swivels outward to 90 degrees. Your cooker would now be facing away from your tail gate, with the added bonus of giving you an extra area to put stuff (where your cooker swiveled out from). I hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain. Ultimately for my setup, it would mean the cooker swivels in front of my fridge, which I thought might be a pain. We opened up the cooker, and actually (carefully) bent the outlet so it was angled toward the rear of the cooker, made sure it was secure and closed it back up again. We also cut the vents off the back right air vent, so it sticks out there really easily now. Problem solved, after a considerable amount of f**king around. I'll try and get a photo of this this week so it makes more sense.

http://i.imgur.com/8Rb46i8.jpg

This is as far as we got this weekend. Forget the wood on the left hand side of the photo, that's just a garage self staying safe from the rain. The back right hand side compartment houses a 3.3kg LPG bottle perfectly, and the back left compartment is slightly larger for either another gas bottle for really long trips, or miscellaneous stuff. The cooker platform in the middle is on a piano hinge, so it can be lifted up, and below will be plates and probably a sink. The right hand side is to be completed this week. 2 drawers that pull out towards you are going in, one for cutlery and all manner of useful kitchen sh*t (knives, tongs, torch, etc) and the bottom 'bigger' drawer I've decided to make a drinks drawer, so basically a mini bar. It might sound retarded, but we drink a fair bit when we camp, and I would really like this to be where I house my scotch etc. Above these two drawers will be a laminate kitchen style bench space, for food and drinks preparation.

http://i.imgur.com/fqOirBK.jpg

What now? Well this week we'll be putting in some work after...work to get the drawer done, because this weekend is going to be marine style carpet/and paint and wiring time. The frame is currently getting sand blasted, and I'm going to try and paint it this week. Goal is to match the steel frame to the silver of my hilux. I also need to stop by clarkrubber or somewhere similar to pickup some carpet to get things ready for the weekend.

Tips/tricks:

I'll put the biggest tip first, because it's something that we learned a while back working with wood for making drawers etc. If you can invest in a (even a real cheapy) nail/U staple gun, do it. Talking with a few wood working / carpenter friends, don't underestimate the bonding strength of PVA glue. If you've ever tried to pull apart wood that has been fixed with it, you'll know what I mean, it actually breaks the wood before it breaks the bond. The nailgun is like a wonder-clamp. Glue two pieces (obviously making sure they are square etc. make them flush, and put a single staple to hold it in place. Around 3 in each piece (bottom, middle and top) and you can't ask for a stronger drawer. Trust me, screws are not needed.

Don't underestimate what you can do. It really is as simple as giving it a go. You learn things every day, and make a decision to not get annoyed about mistakes. It's all part of it.

The old adage 'measure twice, cut once' is worth it's weight in gold, but sometimes you measure perfectly, but you've just got the wrong size in mind.

When you start making too many mistakes (even small ones), call it a day.

I'll add some more as it happens.
Thanks all!
biscuitbits

Postby Bowfly on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 7:11 +0000

Keen for more updates mate Looks like your doing an awesome DIY job!!
Bowfly

Postby gold member on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 8:32 +0000

Nice one mate, I was just planning my own rear tray draw set up the last couple of days, picked up a few good ideas of your build! I like this style of set up as it is easy to set up camp, then easy to pack up. A kitchen in a draw is exactly what I am going for also, cant wait to see the finished product. Cheers
gold member

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 8:47 +0000

Looks the goods mate, well planned out.
Just a heads up if you pick 'large thumbnail' in imgur it'll resize the pics for you and is the perfect size for this forum
fracturedranga

Postby gold member on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 3:07 +0000

Any updates on this one mate?
gold member

Return to Member Build Ups