Rockets New Build - Power Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Rockets New Build - Power Up

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 24 Dec 2015 7:19 +0000

After a few morning shopping activities for tomorrow and getting our new Miele dishwasher installed, well nearly installed, our cavity is about 2mm to narrow and it won't go in, so Miele will send a cabinet maker over next week to alter the cavity so it does fit, free of charge, god love Miele. Anyway after this I bolted over to Eastern Creek to pick up my fan hub. Here's the new verse old, bigger more agressive fan and a much bigger hub.

Now to install it, 4 bolts I thought, well how wrong was I... First take the adaptor plate off and bolt this to the pully (the 4 bolts, then bolt the fan hub to the adaptor plate (4 unbelievably short nuts, but do able), then bolt the fan to the hub (4 more bolts). Doesn't sound too bad, but trying to work this out the first time with no instructions and to do it you actually need to disassemble the hub/adaptor plate from how it was shipped. Here's the fan and hub in position.

I slipped the radiator in (Rapid Cool 3 core) just to check some clearances, all good, about 40mm (or more accurately half a finger) to the radiator.

Radiator out, fan shroud in and then radiator back in. This step was definitely a major pain in the arse to do, I had many goes at it and couldn't make it work. After a few calls back to UFI (interupting there Xmas drinks - cudos to them for even answering) I confirmed the order of the step, which is what I was doing, I just obviously need to hold my tongue differently. So I enlisted the help of my apprentise aka the missus and we got it in pretty easily really. Probem was as I stood in front of the car on my stool holding the radiator and sliding it in, I could see behind it to line things up and manipilate as required.

To all those that say these fans don't fit with anything other than the standard 2 core alloy radiator, I say try a bit harder ;)

I was pretty excited to get this far, as the rest was all down hill from there. Hook up the 2 radiator hoses, overflow hose, put the bottom of the shroud on, airbox to turbo pipe work in, VDO temp sensor in, 2nd battery in, intercooler back on. Bit of an issue here as the Cross Country intercooler frame now hits the new radiator, so with a bit of a bend here and there, it now clears the radiator. Drilled a new hole in the radiator support panel, put a 8mm nutsert in and bolted the newly positioned intercooler support frame into position. Filled it up with cooland and job done!!

Checked for tools, then fired it up. All good. There is definitely more vibration and low down resonance with the Superior mount, at first it was terrible, although after taking it up to the shops and back it settled down a bit. You can still definitely hear and feel it, it's quiet a low frequency rumble and vibration. Once over about 1,800 rpm you dont notice it anymore. I'm also pleased to find out the TD tick tick tick is largely gone and replaced by fan noise, but not a windy fan noise, it kinda makes it sound smooth and more car like, wierd to explain. I did notice that my VDO temp gauge didn't really go beyond 65-70 deg so I'll have to see how that goes. The gauge light is also very dim also, job for later.

So overall pretty happy with how it turned out. New gerabox mounts, engine mounts, thermostat, radiator, fan, fan hub, belts, coolant, oil, oil filter, fuel filter. Big few days. :D
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 24 Dec 2015 9:36 +0000

Nice one mate!
TOYZX

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 9:24 +0000

Got sick of the standard radio, so decided to opt for something a little better. First brand name radio I've had in a car for many many years

Install was pretty straight forward, just a bit time consuming stuffing around with the rear camera, but in the end it came up pretty good. I'll have a better play with it tomorrow and see how it goes, but so far so good.

Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Rocket55

Postby Dave on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:06 +0000

Nice one Rod, on a roll there mate. Had a Pioneer dvd touch screen back in the day, just no Ozi offroad mapping... :(
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Rocket55 on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 6:15 +0000

I use my iPad for that Dave.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Rocket55 on Fri, 01 Jan 2016 9:14 +0000

When I was under the wagon the other day I noticed that my nice new cable run was lying against the exhaust. Bummer. I'm guessing when old mate mechanic put my clutch and flywheel in somehow he let this happen. After tieing it back up and pulling the fuses I got around to fixing it today. As it turned out it was the earth wire that was exposed and luckily not the active.

So out with the old and in with some new cable and conduit. That conduit contains 3 twin core cables in total. 2 x 8 B&S and 1 x 6mm, these feed and Anderson plug for charging the caravan batteries, feed the caravan fridge and carry the trailer brake signal from the unit to the plug. Luckily the wire was untouched. Not that hard to fix, but just a pain in the arse that I had to do it.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby bradles87 on Mon, 28 Mar 2016 1:16 +0000

How's the patrol going? Rumours of this being sold off in favour of a 200...
bradles87

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 28 Mar 2016 3:54 +0000

Patrol's going great. Got all the rear rubbers replaced under warranty by Superior, so it's behaving itself like it should now. It's making good power, hasn't been on a dyno yet, but I've had no reason to use full throttle on it to date and that includes overtaking, towing, or drifting around corners, has more power than I need that's for sure. But yes it will be making way for a 200 in the not too distant future. Times and needs change I guess.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 6:17 +0000

Took the caravan up to Newcastle yesterday for its first service/inspection (won't be going back ever again but that's another storey for another time..) and had to fill in the day, so off to Stockton I go. With all the extra power and torque I was pretty keen to see how it went. Effortless is the only word I could use. Tyres at 16psi, 2nd gear hi range and it just went anywhere I pointed it. EGT's between 250-300 and engine temp 80-85. I could slow down to cross big soft ruts and then just power off again from low revs with a small flex of the right foot, a puff of black soot and we were cruising again.

Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby oggy on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 9:36 +0000

Hope you took the boat :?
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:14 +0000

You can see it in the background mate, all the crew ended up getting wet though ;)
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Blackie2008 on Thu, 09 Jun 2016 2:46 +0000

G'day Rocket! Lovin the build mate, just like your old lux.. sorted lol
How did you go with the drive-line vibes under load? My lux has started doing the same thing now that I've put an NPC clutch kit in to hold the 650nm+ torque it's making now. Hoping my gearbox isn't cracking the shits already. I haven't been running this much power for very long. (a couple of weeks)

Cheers buddy.
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 09 Jun 2016 3:26 +0000

Vibrations are still there at certain revs, I'm led to believe by those in the know that it's a TD42 thing, so I just drive around it.

Anything with 600 plus Nm is fun to drive ay!! 8-)
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby oggy on Thu, 09 Jun 2016 6:07 +0000

5 peas...just sayin ;) ;) :mrgreen:
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

oggy

Postby Rocket55 on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 4:35 +0000

:( :(

8 peas and a spud...
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 7:32 +0000

Sad day, just watched all my hard work in this Patrol drive away :( although I am confident the guy who bought it will appreciate it and use it for what it was built for.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 7:50 +0000

Always hard to say goodbye! Now time for a new toy!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby oggy on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 8:07 +0000

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: even if it is a datsun ;)

Forget the 200 series Rod. tip your money into the mighty 2 ;)

oggy

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 9:39 +0000

Maybe....

Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:02 +0000

Just Expect Every Problem!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups