Fred's build - Monster Ride Installed - CV's replaced

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Fred's build - Monster Ride Installed

Postby jakelux on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 4:46 +0000

That is an awesome write up mate. Love the idea with the ratchet straps and packing tape :D
jakelux

Postby TTR on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 5:36 +0000

Great write up mate, got a pic of how the truck sits now?
TTR
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Toylux4 on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 7:20 +0000

Top job mate, I wish you had written this before I fitted mine last Friday, the packing strap would have made my install much easier.
Toylux4

Postby fredbear on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 8:41 +0000

Thanks for all the positive comments. I've learned so much here, I'm pleased to be able to give a little back.
No pics yet. I went for a test drive last night, & to work this morning. Seems to have dropped more than I expected.
I'll wind it up tonight.

ATM the 32" MTZ's are rubbing on turns and seem to be far back in the wheel arch. I'll get an alignment tomorrow if winding up tonight works OK. Then I'll do some pics.

Courier just arrived with the tigerz winch & air comp & air tank.....do I do the winch before the long w/e? If I don't I know Murphy will let me know I should have!.
fredbear

Postby whitey89 on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 9:04 +0000

You've done some great write-up! Nice work. Looking forward to updated pics of how she sits now it's all installed. What lift have you got it set at?
whitey89

Postby timothyg on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:05 +0000

I'll echo with the rest, very informative writeup. MR shocks looks awesome! its on my list 8-)
timothyg

Postby manual_sr5 on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:48 +0000

i like the colour mate, looking good
manual_sr5

Postby fredbear on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 8:48 +0000

Bugger, disconnected the sway bar so I could get a better swing on the c spanner to adjust the suspension. Then started out on a test drive...got 50m down driveway before I realised I forgot to reattach the sway bar. I now have 2 x FU&*(D outer CV boots. Anyhow see my prev comments which I have amended with some numbers/measurements.
fredbear

Postby Daleschmitke on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:29 +0000

fredbear wrote:Bugger, disconnected the sway bar so I could get a better swing on the c spanner to adjust the suspension. Then started out on a test drive...got 50m down driveway before I realised I forgot to reattach the sway bar. I now have 2 x FU&*(D outer CV boots. Anyhow see my prev comments which I have amended with some numbers/measurements.

I did the same thing man sucks major but you can get a universal cv boot from repco and get them fitted for about 40 bucks each unless you wanna have a go yourself
Daleschmitke

Postby Toylux4 on Thu, 27 Sep 2012 4:46 +0000

That's no good about your CV Boots Mate.
I found the same thing with the C Spanner, they are like a disposable item , use once and through away.

After my trip away at the weekend the front had sagged a bit, so I was about to adjust it up a bit on Sunday arvo. After loosening the lock nut, i put the C Spanner on the adjustment nut and it kept on slipping off nut. On close inspection it looked like this.Image
So I gave up and at work the next day I found this that did the job beautifully.Image
Toylux4

Postby fredbear on Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:31 +0000

Daleschmitke wrote:
I did the same thing man sucks major but you can get a universal cv boot from repco and get them fitted for about 40 bucks each unless you wanna have a go yourself

OK Just went out & got 2 x repco outer boot kits & a plastic funnel. They say they work up to 2007, but they are not sure after that!.

I also found a 35mm socket at a tool place & a cv band tool at Autopro. So will have a go tonight.

Given the expected tightness of the axle nuts can someone tell me if either side is LEFT HAND THREADed?
fredbear

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:50 +0000

No they are just a normal right handed thread
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 27 Sep 2012 1:07 +0000

Just a tip...if your doing things by hand and without a rattle gun, get someone to apply the brakes while you break the driveshaft nut loose with socket and breaker bar.

You'll be cursing once you remove the calipers and get to the hub and realise you should have used the brakes to hold the shaft while you loosen it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby fredbear on Thu, 27 Sep 2012 4:12 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Just a tip...if your doing things by hand and without a rattle gun, get someone to apply the brakes while you break the driveshaft nut loose with socket and breaker bar.

You'll be cursing once you remove the calipers and get to the hub and realise you should have used the brakes to hold the shaft while you loosen it.

Thanks Max
Many thanks for the tip. Fingers crossed its not tooooo tight. But I picked up a brochure with a sale on Sidchrome rattle guns, only $419 for the big one (1200ft lb / 1700nm) .

"Still cheaper than toyota shafts..." does that sound convincing? if so,might try it on SWMBO. :)
fredbear

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 27 Sep 2012 7:24 +0000

great write up buddy, im sure that will help alot of members that are wanting to give it a go at fitting a suspension kit themselves.

top effort mate 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby fredbear on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 6:34 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:great write up buddy, im sure that will help alot of members that are wanting to give it a go at fitting a suspension kit themselves.

top effort mate 8-)

Only one HUGE gotcha! Don't be an idiot like me, check your work at least TWICE. I mean BEFORE backing out of the shed for a test drive, else you will suffer the consequences like I did. I missed out on a night in the bush drinking beer, so be warned! All fixed so we are heading off in the am now. Details of problem below.
fredbear

Postby fredbear on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 7:17 +0000

So I had the Monster Rides Stage 2 all installed, finished on Tues Night.
Drove it for Wednesday & it dropped as expected. So plan was to raise it up on Wed night, & take it for alignment on Thurs, Pack on fri am & head of mid day. So much for plans.

On Wed night I wound up front shocks another 10mm so now at 76 (driver) & 75mm (passenger sides).
To wind up the shocks you use a C spanner, but there is not a lot of room to turn it.
So method I used is - disconnect sway bar both sides & jack up front. Turn steering wheel to one side, then go at it with the C Spanner. Once done tighten the lock nut. All done ...... well almost....DON'T forget the sway bar!
I missed this last bit!. I backed out of the shed, started down the driveway got about 20m & head the sound of money leaving my wallet. Yep 2 x outer cv boots stuffed by swaybar links. Bugger.

So Thurs lunch I run down to Repco & pickup the 2 boot kits I ordered first thing. I also grabbed a long funnel & from autopro a cv boot strap tool and a 35mm impact socket & 1000mm bar & a tierod remover as I lost my last one.

The mess

As Max messaged me, make sure you undo this before disconnecting the brakes. Have someone hold them on while you undo.

Wasn't as hard as I expected, but that is a 1000mm bar I'm using.

Undo the ABS (I covered it with a bit of duct tape to protect it, I read your not supposed to touch it. Then I hung the caliper on a bit off wire

Support the bottom wishbone & undo the 2 x 19mm bolts then lower wish bone down.

At this point I got stuck. I could not get the axle haft out of the hub. Turned out the weight of upright pressing down was pinching it, problem solved with an extra jack to just take a little weight.

** When I did the other side, this extra jack didn't work, it was stuck tight. So I used a 3 leg puller, which did the trick.

So with the tie rod removed, the hub swings free & lets you take the cv shaft out of the hub..

Put on some rubber gloves & cut away the boot.

& use lots of rag & tidy up

The plan was to use the funnel lubed up to slide the new boot on.

Well I bought the wrong boots. I couldn't even turn them inside out, and I thing there where three chances of stretching the small end over the funnel. I think the "stretchy boots" are a different brand. (see ebay)

Bring on Plan B
fredbear

Postby fredbear on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 7:52 +0000

Plan B.
I decide the funnel wasn't going to work.
So plan B was to take the cv shaft out, put it on the bench & dismantle it & change the boot.
Getting the shaft out required a but of a tug while knocking it with a hammer & screwdriver.
It came out fairly easily. Have an oil tray ready as it will leak some diff oil out.

Well I got it on the bench & spent the next 3 hrs trying to get it apart. I know you take the inside off first, clean up grease a bit, then remove the circlip on the end of the shaft that holds the spider on. the simply pull the spider off the shaft. Well simply for some didn't apply for me. I just could not get the spider off the shaft. Is there a 2nd circlip? not sure but it was late so I called it a night, knowing that we prob would not be going away at midday today.

Got up this am and had another go with the plastic hammer. I can get the spider flush with the end of the shaft but that is it. ummm what to do.

Last night I did a fair bit of web reading & you tube'ing. Seems the spider is supposed to slide off, yea right.
Seem the repco complete shafts are OK but the boots don't last long. & I don't want to be in this position again.
So I rang toyota dealers & found there are 3x shafts in the state, well there where, there is now only 1 (fwiw it's at peter kittle toyota if you need it this weekend).

Nothing like solving mechanical probs with a little bit of plastic (visa kind)

Of course the 2 shafts I got where from different dealers, one in city & one NE of city (I live south!)
anyhow stop in at tyre guys on way home & ask about alignment. Busy day before a long weekend. They can only do it at 2:30. It was now 11:15. So 3 hrs to install 1 cv & remove & replace the other side.....hey I'm not a mechanic! No air wrenches in my shed!.
12:15 left side in & all bolted up, just need to tighten hub nut when helper comes over.
12:50 right side all loose except hub nut, assistant arrives.
1:30 right side out.
1:50 right side in & tightened.
Just enough time to wind up shocks another 10mm before alignment. Now at 86mm & 85mm (as measure on shock body as previously shown)
2:15 left side hub nut tight. Sway bar IS connected!
Quick check of all bolts. Wash hands, change clothes.....
2:31 at tyre dealer. (he is running behind, whew....

3:30 All aligned.
Here are the numbers

Before After
Caster L 3d 58' R 4d 07' L 4d 17' R 3d 51'
Camber L 0d 22' R 0d 35' L -0d 03' R 0d 08'
Toe L -11.3mm R -7.6mm L 0.5mm R 0.5mm

So only Toe was out by much.
I think the caster is good from what I have read. (std is supposed to be 0d 56' - 1d 56')

I still have something rubbing somewhere on near full lock.
Plan is to figure out how to get the old cv shafts apart & rebuild them next week. They only have 540km (yep <1000km) on them, so would make good spares & or might sell to recoup some costs.
fredbear

Postby fredbear on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 8:04 +0000

So after rechecking all bolts, I topped up the front diff (took about 4-500ml). Then greased up the wish bones & remembered to put grease in my rear shackle pins. Packed up tools & threw more than I would normally take away just in case I missed something, grabbed a frypan & a billy & some recovery gear. Grabbed a couple of spare tubes for sons DR650, and packed a cloths bag...Yahoo off in the morning. Not sure where yet just dirt road north'ish heading towards flinders.

Oh just had time to take a couple of pic all packed up (few kg's tools & jacks in the back!) as she looks now she has Matty & Max's bits on her. (many thanks Matt, sorry again for all the late TXT msg's re the what goes where & how do I's.Oh & thx max for tips.)

Front is 805mm (with another several inches to go!) and rear is 850mm.
BTW if I hit you with my high beams on Mon night, I apologize in advance, I didn't have time to reset them.

fredbear

Postby whitey89 on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 8:10 +0000

That's looking awesome mate! Reckon you'll go much higher with it or happy with it at that ride height?
whitey89

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups