Harriet the Hilux - Clean

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Harriet the Hilux

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:47 +0000

Hey Drew Sorry for the late reply but iv been real busy with everything,

So what i did was drill holes at all the high points through the inner skin of the tub and attach the 4001 alloy unit strut using 10mm bolts with mud guard washers (so they would't pull through the tub) with nylex nuts and spring washers. Just remember to paint the holes you drill through the tub so they dont rust. As seen below

Then i used an 10mm eye bolt with 2 mud guard washers and a spring washer in between the other 2 washers, Iv done it this was so there is still a spring washer makin the eye bolt less likley to come loose.

using the eye bolts I attached the high lift jack through the holes in the lifting channel to the uni strut.

Easy, Then using a bar of some sorts you can tighten the eye bolts up, this makes for easy removal when in the bush and you for get your spanner set, and they double as extra tie down points when the jack is installed

Same done on the other side with the shovel holder but i didnt use the same amount of bolts to hold this one in as it isnt holding as much weight.

And used the standard bolts that came with the holders to attach them to the uni strut but used the uni strut nuts.

I did splash out and buy the flash eye bolts for the rest of the tie downs but angles or normal eye bolts can also be used.

JUst be sure to get sprung uni strut nuts so the fit into the strut and dont fall out when trying to attach the bolts, much easier.

You should be able to get a 6 meter length of 4001 alloy uni strut of around $60 which is plenty to do you tub, then nuts and bolts ( i got mine from work :D) So maybe all done with shovel holders for around $100. Good deal i think, better priced than the ARB ones

Hope this helps.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Drew on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 7:42 +0000

Awesome thanks for that mate !!!
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 6:18 +0000

Nice setup. I like that.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby joshmackay23 on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 1:54 +0000

love the sliders. easily the best set i have seen bolted to a hilux yet. can i steal some dimensions off ya? just the sizes of the tube and box would be perfect. good work with all the mods!!

josh!
Understate and Over Deliver
joshmackay23

Postby Diegothecat on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 6:18 +0000

Thanks Josh Im glad you liked them, Only thing i would change is the angle or the tube step, it looks awesome but a little unpractical as its too close to the cab to stand on.

We used 50x75 RHS i think they are 6mm thick and 50mm tube and i think 5mm, also used 12mm for the the chassis braces but i think we went a little overboard could have got away with 10mm, take a look here for further info

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3716
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 2:08 +0000

Just touching back on the seats again.....how'd you go about installing them (for future reference)?

Do they come with mounts to suit the hilux or do you have to custom fab the mounts yourself?

Doesnt it have to be engineered?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 4:20 +0000

i didnt have to have them engineered but i had to have a modification plate installed to the car that had to be done by a 3rd party who checked over the whole thing.

I used 5 x 25mm plate steal and bent up custom brackets to suit the standard hilux seat rails, it really didnt take much to do just getting the seat in the correct position was the hardest part, I still think i have the front part of the drivers seat a little to high and might get around to it one of these days.

Here are a couple of pics just to clarify

Drivers side

A little bit dogie but had to use spacers to get the seat in the correct position, every bolt used was high tensile and washers used on both sides of the bolt with split washers and just to be sure they never come loose i even used nylex nuts, all M8

Passenger side

I used a pit of angle on this bracket as it was easier and more practical then bending the plate steal.

It made it easy on the passenger side as i didn't have to bend any of the brackets they all came up flush.

I was even able to bolt the seat belts to the seats in the same position as standard but on the wrx seats so no modifying there. No passenger ass in seat indicator tho but i can live with out that.

Hope this helps
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Diegothecat on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 6:07 +0000

Well i dont want to jinx it but i ordered my wheels again last week and im hopefully picking them up tomorrow.

Also got a set of Snake Racing 10mm spacers just to get the front back up to level. A very annoying thing is that to install them you actually have to remove the top hat off the the strut to replace the bolts that attach them to the chassis as then arn't long enough to use the original bolts.

Very annoying now that i have to my mechanic to remove the spring as im not goin to stuff around removing the springs, did it im my STI not doing it again.

So hopefully tomorrow Ill have some new pics up of my new stance and some new feet :D :D :D :D
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Harriet the Hilux ( New Wheels Tomorrow FINGERS CROSSED )

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 01 Feb 2010 4:03 +0000

Well i Jinxed it :!: :!:

Wheels and Tyres arrived today but for some reason they didnt book me in for a wheel alignment at the time i ordered the wheels so i gota wait till Wednesday to get them fitted.....

Got the Snake Racing Spacers installed today very happy with the cars level now.

Just cant wait till Wednesday :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 3:57 +0000

Well finally Harriet has some new shoes, nice one's at that.

Rims are Avanti Racing - Rockstar @ 0 offset 16 x 8

Tyres are Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib 265 x 75 / 16

Im very happy with them so far hardly any road noise, a little loss in power but nothing too drastic. Front lpassenger tyre is scrubbing a little on the mud guard but drivers front is fine, which i think is a little weird.

Its been a long time coming and im happy with the final result. I cant wait to test them out in the dirt now :D :D
Last edited by Diegothecat on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:35 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Harriet the Hilux ( Finally She got some New Shoes )

Postby Twisty on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 4:22 +0000

Looks great! 8-)
Twisty

Postby murf6 on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 4:32 +0000

Nice wheels mate...... I was wondering how long it was going to take until I had a twin. ha ha ha. Looks good mate, now I just wish I had that nice shara bar to match yours!!!!!! :D :D
2014 SR5, 2.5 lift, BFG 33's, with a few ARB bits and pieces.
murf6

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 5:22 +0000

Cheers Murf I did steal the idea off yours but i think we live far enough apart not to be a worry :lol: :lol:
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby murf6 on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 6:11 +0000

Yea I dont think there is a chance of parking next to each other...... :D :D I would love to do the WRX seat conversion you have done mate. looks fantastic. Did you need to get that mod engineered? Was your insurance company happy with the chage over of the seats???
2014 SR5, 2.5 lift, BFG 33's, with a few ARB bits and pieces.
murf6

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 6:26 +0000

yea mod engineered, not to sure about insurance i really gota call them and tell them a lot i have been putting it off actually, Something i really have to do.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Harriet the Hilux ( Now with an Eye Job )

Postby Diegothecat on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 8:21 +0000

Well after an interesting weekend of full on rain and the need to run in my new tyres i ended up getting a very small amount of water in my headlight and seeing these on ebay for a steel i decided to up grade to these.

Ill also remove the amber plastic in the ARB indicators once my new indicator bulbs turn up to keep in with the clear headlights, also have to replace the parker bulbs in the bar with LED's as it just looks off.

Only drama is that one of them didnt come with the control modual for the angle eye light, now i have to find one out of my own pocket as i dont think the seller is going to come to the party. I dont think that its going to be an easy find either.

Oh well.

Im looking forward to getting my bars back on too as iv sent them all off to be powder coated.

I thought id add a picture of both the Sliders that i made as I noticed that the only pictures I took previously was of the same one and i just wanted to make a note that i did make 2 :lol: :lol:

Iv also sent these off to be powder coated as the paint job just didnt stand up to the sand when I went to Moreton Last. This is also a good thing as Im getting a textured coating on them so they wont be slippery when wet. Something i have been worried about when the Wife gets in and out.
Last edited by Diegothecat on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:35 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Marshwa on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 5:49 +0000

Those lights look great mate, Top looking lux you've got there
Marshwa

Postby Bobjones on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 3:36 +0000

Ben,

Nice lights and sliders. Any chance you want to make another pair???

Cheers
Neill
Bobjones

Postby whitey89 on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 4:06 +0000

And another pair:p

Very nice lights mate. I'm still trying to get rid of the water from that crossing in the lights.
whitey89

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 7:34 +0000

HAHAHA nah not really in the mood to make any more of the sliders and im sure if i was you wouldnt like the price :D :D

Yea I cant believe that water would got in so easily, oh well,

Iv also been working through out the day on my rear ladder rack ill post up more on it tomorrow.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups