Hilux Off Road Race Car Version 2....Extreme 4wd

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Hilux Off Road Race Car Build

Postby TuffluxOffroad on Sat, 14 Jan 2012 8:19 +0000

Hey Jason
Looks and sounds awesome mate, good on ya!
TuffluxOffroad

Postby flat out off road on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:20 +0000

So here is an update on the car from the last few weeks
We have some new chubby bumpstops in the front which we will be out testing over the coming weekend before a race the week after
Last weekend we hit the track for the Starlight foundation ride day and we had an absolute blast, heres a couple of pics of the car in its new livery and one of a little girl who was so excited to ride in the hilux she came back for a second run
We should have another update after we give the car a real workout this weekend.
Also been out track marking at Yealering for the first event, banged in starpickets every couple of hundred metres for 50kms was a pretty good workout on the arms haha

flat out off road

Postby rockcrawler31 on Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:30 +0000

I've just read the whole build, and i had a few questions for ya mate. (schmick looking outfit by the way)

I've been putting together a build plan for a new racer (U4 racing - not CAMS) and at the moment parts and equipment is looking at around 35-40k. But looking at this entry level class, it's something that i could very well be interested in. If you were to EXCLUDE your labour and the original vehicle purchase, could you give me an idea of what sort of money is invested in this thing as it sits right now?

I'm capable of build and fabrication work so that's not an issue, but i'm totally unfamiliar with this style of racing and what's involved in a build. Since it's billed as an "entry level" class i'm interested to see if it's truly an "entry level" cost. To give you an idea, the 40k i've quoted above will build a VERY capable and competitive rig in U4 racing (barring my own busted arse driving skills of course :lol: ).

What is the culture like at AORC and CAMS racing? I know in CCDA it's pretty relaxed and most of us are very happy to spin spanners on eachother's gear, share knowledge and just generally get along. By comparison in the motorcycle racing that i also compete in, it's like a lot of the good racers don't want to know you unless you're a somebody. It's only when you start getting fast that any body wants to talk to you.

If you want you can reply in PM if you're more comfortable replying there. If any of the other CAMS racers on here want to chime in then please do.

Also, is there a CAMS class that is more or less run what ya brung? Mainly because the rig i'm thinking of building is capable of high speed work (not competitively but certainly it would finish the races), but frankly it's unlikely to fit in any existing class.

MILO
rockcrawler31

Postby Bull on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 8:14 +0000

If you're building for the Aussie Ultra4 racing then you might fit into CAMS Off-Road Extreme 4WD Class. It's got very broad guidelines compared to Performance 4WD. You can download the CAMS manual here-: http://www.camsmanual.com.au/
Bull

Postby flat out off road on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 7:20 +0000

No problems mate, basically price is hard to put on what we have as we initially had a rolled dual cab and now as you can see its an extra cab, so it all depends what you can find at auction that is relatively good priced. However provided you know what you need to do and with a little luck at auction I would say that 40k could build you a vehicle similar to what Im racing now
With CAMS off road racing, I have found that pretty much anyone will talk to you no matter who you are, but having said that the teams who are spending the 6 figures on the cars hold there cards a little closer to there chest
A little story from Hyden a few years ago, one of the local competitors in his v8 gq patrol was having issues with his brake lines, Sandy Bowman (you probably know of him) who had travelled over to compete who wouldnt have known him from a bar of soap happily helped sort out the issues despite the fact that he was going to be one of his closest competitors for the weekend. In Western Australia its pretty much like that across all the classes and whilst everyones having a red hot go, theres a lot of fun and banter and jokes off the track
The class break down is
Pro Buggy 6.0L or 3.5L Turbo, pretty much anything goes crazy expensive buggies big $$$
Pro Lite 3.5L maximum capacity buggies
Super 1650 smaller buggies engines up to 1650 cc
Sportsman buggy small buggies up to 1300cc
Clubman a new class they are rebuilding using UTV's and polaris' etc.
Extreme 2WD Trophy truck, anything goes etc.
Performance 2WD Mildly modified 2WD's
Production 4WD Tightest rules of the lot, standard 4WD's
Extreme 4WD, winch comp trucks to purpose built 4wd trophy trucks
flat out off road

Postby flat out off road on Tue, 28 Feb 2012 8:59 +0000

Well unfortunately the first round of the WA series has been cancelled this weekend due to the track being flooded. So we now have a prepped racecar and nowhere to go. We are looking at doing a ride day this weekend, so anyone in the Perth area interested in going for a ride in the racecar and seeing what your hilux can do with a few mods please PM me and Ill let you know the details
flat out off road

Postby ADEM on Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:55 +0000

Awesome build bud, just read through the entire thread in one go. Really great to see what these trucks can do with a little bit of work! Are you basically saying in this class with the hilux or have you considered heading into the more extreme class racing eventually?

All the best in the 2012 season aswell. Will be keeping an eye on updates!
ADEM

Postby flat out off road on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 2:15 +0000

I think maybe another season or 2 with the hilux as is then I would love to convert it to a long travel front kit, 4 link rear end, lighten it up with fibreglass panels etc. and then sort out some more power..not really sure what to do there though. But thats all $$$ and time, so will have to see how I get on with that haha
flat out off road

Postby ADEM on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 2:27 +0000

Ah man I'd love to see that, helped install Fox coilovers in my best mates TJ jeep last year amongest alot of other mods so I live my go fast off road dreams through him for the time being haha.

Would love to see a lux with a wider track width long travel kit on the front with some pumped fenders. I'm currently living in Canada so I see plenty of the tacomas and tundras all kitted out around here in the summer!
ADEM

Postby flat out off road on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 5:00 +0000

there is an extremely wild hilux getting built, its basically a tube frame with hilux panels as it will have pajero diffs, chev v8 amongst a heap of other mods
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?s ... 753&type=1
flat out off road

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 6:52 +0000

Im almost certain those are tacoma fibreglass fenders....

please.....please....pleeeaassseee prove me wrong and tell me that they are made for the hilux...if so contact details please!!!!!
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Twisty on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 7:03 +0000

Look like Tacoma to me too Max! Fit looks close enough but, do it! Heheh :lol:
Twisty

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 02 Mar 2012 7:11 +0000

Twisty wrote:Look like Tacoma to me too Max! Fit looks close enough but, do it! Heheh :lol:

Yeah must be Tacoma...doesnt quite line up -

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby ADEM on Sat, 03 Mar 2012 2:09 +0000

Yeah thats definitely Tacoma flares. Such a sweet aggressive pump on them!
ADEM

Hilux Off Road Race Car Build

Postby D4D luxy on Sat, 03 Mar 2012 4:28 +0000

That looks unreal!
D4D luxy

Postby Marshwa on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 7:36 +0000

ahh had me going for a second there Max! Those taco flares look awesome!
Marshwa

Postby flat out off road on Mon, 05 Mar 2012 8:40 +0000

Time for a video update...we have been out testing and are now ready for 2012
http://youtu.be/-l1UA6Odnew
Still cant believe the beating this thing can take!!!
flat out off road

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 06 Mar 2012 6:15 +0000

That video was good... Got a like from me...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby flat out off road on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 8:13 +0000

We made an article in Dirtcomp Magazine, which was a wrap up of the Western Australian Season. You can get Dirtcomp Magazine in any good newsagent, they follow off road, atv's, rock crawling etc. from all around Australia and is well worth the read

We also have had a professional film company agree to make a video of the hilux, all we need to do is get as many people as possible to like this facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/wetwork/194509477248577

The next race for us is the Hyden 450 at Easter. The new bump stops we installed are working a treat as you can see in the last video. We are now running Icon Chubby Bumps in the front, easily adjustable. Takes a bit of work setting them up as the mounts that you get with them dont come close to fitting. After a few test runs its handling great and the last 1.5inches of travelling is being controlled rather then a hard bump. Probably not necessary for road cars as a good progressive bump like what Monster Rides sell is more then adequate, but if you want to try sit on top of whoops, these will do it!
flat out off road

Postby flat out off road on Mon, 09 Apr 2012 8:26 +0000

Ok well have completed the Hyden 400 on this past Easter weeknd. In a field of 40+ cars we have ended up 1st in class and 6th outright after prologuing 1st in class and 12th outright earlier in the weekend. We had a few ups and downs with the steering rack nearly parting ways with the car requiring a 20 minute stop to put some more nuts on to hold it in place!!! This puts in 1st place for the WA Championship with 3 rounds to go
Check out this footage of me running over a go pro camera and also some pics of the week which started off by travelling to country towns to talk to school kids about motorsport and the hilux
http://youtu.be/K6HDNSfyXjY
Hyden School visit

Pit crew checking it all out

Nice little jump to finish prologue

Good crowd had formed for the race

Crossing the line elated with a great result

Being interviewed at the finish line
flat out off road

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups