Rod's Rig - Round 2

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Rod's new Rig

Postby rodw on Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:12 +0000

Thanks mate, now I understand, I might try and find some nickel plated saddles rather than the copper ones I am using now and follow your advice. I didn't specify anything special, and was surprised the guy gave me copper ones as I was expecting nickel plated ones. For the last 5 years it wouldn't have been a problem, but these days it seems to actually rain in QLD!
rodw

Postby Twisty on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 7:39 +0000

Just spent the monring reading through all 11 pages.....love how you've setup the truck Rod! Some very cool mods there, and well documented.
Twisty

Postby rodw on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:24 +0000

Thanks Twisty, once I get sliders on I really just got to sort out storage in the rear of it and maybe a long range tank (bit undecided about that one) and it will be pretty well complete for touring. The rear bar cut into the tub would be an awesome addition too as I have graded a few tracks with the ARB rear bar.

Stage 2 might be lockers (front first) and the sort of rubber Max is trying to talk me into. Maybe 34 x 10.5 x 15 Swampers on stock rims will fit with a bit of help from Brooksy's grinder. What do you reckon? That'd look a bit different and make play time pretty easy going!
rodw

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 6:37 +0000

Hi guys

Been looking round for tougher tyres over the last week or so (mainly so Max will stop ribbing me :oops: ) and I stumbled on these tyres which look pretty good.

The Dick Cepek Crusher Radial

Pretty happy with the Dick Cepek FC-II's on my truck, barely worn after 24,000 km and when called on off road, they seem to perform well so thought these might be pretty good. Some stuff I've read is that they almost compete with my beloved Swampers. Not having much luck in finding them. Does anybody know anything about these tyres? Any other suggestions?
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:07 +0000

These tyres are tuff as and awesome performers.....have heard them called "boggers but good onroad manners aswell". I would love a set in 305/70x16.......

Good to hear they are starting to make inroads into the australian market....Lucky you Rod, got one of the very first sets.....good to "know people" huh? :lol:

heres a good review on them.......
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Dick-Cepek-Crusher.htm

and heres a short vid of them in action on a CJ5 Jeep in some real sloppy stuff-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-8sO865KA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com.au%2Fvideosearch%3Fq%3Ddick%2Bcepek%2Bcrusher%26hl%3Den%26emb%3D0%26aq%3Df&feature=player_embedded

This review here is mad -
http://jp.automotive.com/62775/154-0803-dick-cepek-crusher-tires/index.html
That same day, we decided that it was time for our TJ to get a mud bath. We were in lighter mud mixed with sand, but there wasn't much water and it was thick. We took a few passes in the 1- to 2-foot puddles in 2WD and 4WD. We even got cocky and stopped in the middle, sat a bit, and then went again with no problems. Even when we got in the deeper stuff (dragging our axles and frame through the mud), we were still able to maintain movement-no spinning of the tires without movement here. The Crushers clear out just like you'd expect them to with the void content they have, and by the end of the day, there wasn't a mud pit we wouldn't go into (as long as we knew it wasn't so deep to hydro-lock the engine). We ended up with a high-water mark about halfway up the tailgate and a skidplate full of mud from shoveling the trail.

On the downside, on-road, we did lose about 1.5 mpg compared with the same-sized, mild all terrains we previously had on the Jeep. But by the end of testing, we had decided that the loss in mileage was worth it for the point-and-shoot kind of wheeling we were able to do while we had the Crushers on the Jeep.

If you're looking for a set of tires to put on your Jeep and you want quiet, mild road manners, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you can make a few adjustments in your on-road driving style and want a set of tires that can get you to the trail, through it, and back home again without having to worry much about getting stuck in the middle, these tires are for you.

Im in love with them.......surely they cant be louder than my Silverstones..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Good stuff Rod, hanging to see em on your space shuttle.

I knew I'd finally convince ya to get some decent mud tyre....LMAO :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:26 +0000

Awesome stuff you posted up Max, you must relish your role as the resident New Hilux expert. But where can I buy these Crushers? I thought Dick Cepek was bought out by Mickey Thompson but can't seem to see them on the Aussie web site. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/tyres.htm Maybe they don't bring them in?

I had a good yarn to Ryano at Fourbies earlier in the week about buying some play tyres and becasue it was hard to get stock of the Swamper, I priced up some Simex 32x10.5's with him. By the time I got play rims it worked out at $1,900 for four and that was with Ryano doing a good deal (well so he says anyway :D ). I was thinking that a road mannered bogger might let me get away with one set of tyres.
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:30 +0000

rodw wrote:I was thinking that a road mannered bogger might let me get away with one set of tyres.

Let me quote some wise word by our fellow member Quinny.....

You'll be pitchin' a tent!
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im hanging to read your impressions of them, when s your next offroading adventure?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby tgibbo on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:40 +0000

those crushers look exactly the same as ss boggers i think the could actuly be louder than silverstones if thats posible, i have a mate whose gone from silverstone like my old one's and max's new ones to micky thompson claws and they are heaps quiter and heaps more grippy the only problem is there still dirrectional which is ok on his cruiser but on a hilux you get verry poor wear o the front. but i would still recomend them over silverstones
tgibbo

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:44 +0000

Im hanging to read your impressions of them, when s your next offroading adventure?

Funny you ask, Said I'd run a club trip back to Scenic Rim Adventure Park where I went with the Triton Guys mid-may. Just for a day trip though. Be good to get tyres sorted by then. Might be too much to ask to have Brooksy's sliders on by then.

So do you know where you can get 'em Max? Will I have to import them direct and be the first to have them in Australia do you reckon?

So many tyres hve such limited ranges now with the exchange rate and economic conditions being the way they are.
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:46 +0000

I've been a little quite of late as Im busier than a 1 legged man in an arse kicken contest... But... I can not say enough good things about the MT MTZ....

My mate just bought the MT ATZ 4 rib and I think I may have ended up with the quiter and better road tyre...

The road noise is more white noise rather than the higher pitched whine he gets... also the AT seems to suffer from flat spotting afters its sat. The MTZ do but in a very minimal manner, much less than the BFG AT's I had prior...

Cant say enough good about them... they also handle like shit on a stick in the bush... they just dont let go.

Not sure on lifespan though.... Just my 2 cents...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:50 +0000

Thanks Quinny, Might be worth looking into if I can't track down these mild mannered boggers. I bet they aren't a quiet tyre but then neither were my Swampers!
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:01 +0000

Rod,

Hasnt fourbies got a introductory special offer of some sort going at the moment on these tyres?

They are round the corner from you mate, Id be giving them a call and sussing it out. might get a good deal.

Other than that, the MTZ/Claws are an option, as a Toyo's MT's thou the Toyo's are very pricey.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby tgibbo on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:04 +0000

i love my mtz's too i just come back from spotlighting and never put the car into 4wd and thats with 4 blockes in the back driving up f$@#&% steep gulleys that the land owners unimog and mb trac's strugel up
tgibbo

Postby rodw on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 3:49 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Rod,

Hasnt fourbies got a introductory special offer of some sort going at the moment on these tyres?

They are round the corner from you mate, Id be giving them a call and sussing it out. might get a good deal.

Other than that, the MTZ/Claws are an option, as a Toyo's MT's thou the Toyo's are very pricey.

Funny, Was there earlier in the week and Ryano said nothing about them at all. Might swing by one morning on the way to work and see what offers he's got floating round on MTZ's or if he can get these Crushers in. I'd hate to miss out on a good deal Max, the price of the American tyres has gone through the roof due to the economic doom and gloom. :lol: :lol:

Shame I got stuff on this morning or I'd be round to Fourbys like a shot in an hour or so, might do it tomorrow.
rodw

Postby rodw on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 3:59 +0000

tgibbo wrote:those crushers look exactly the same as ss boggers i think the could actuly be louder than silverstones if thats posible, i have a mate whose gone from silverstone like my old one's and max's new ones to micky thompson claws and they are heaps quiter and heaps more grippy the only problem is there still dirrectional which is ok on his cruiser but on a hilux you get verry poor wear o the front. but i would still recomend them over silverstones

Sorry mate, missed this. A mate up here had the claws and barely got 20,000 km out of them, so not too keen on them plus the directional tyre is not very sensible IMHO. Max pointed me to some used Silverstone MT-117's a while ago and when I checked they were not bringing in that size anymore so I marked the price down a bit as I knew I could not get a replacement in. The guy gotoffended at my offer, so I did not get them. :mrgreen:
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 7:36 +0000

rodw wrote:A mate up here had the claws and barely got 20,000 km out of them, so not too keen on them plus the directional tyre is not very sensible IMHO.

Why isnt a directional tyre very sensible? I've heard you get elss traction in reverse due to the tread design....havent had a problem yet, and Ive done 10,000km on them so far, 95% of it on bitumen and they've barely worn!

Not saying Id get them next time, but it would be an option depending on the prices of other tyres.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 8:51 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Why isnt a directional tyre very sensible? I've heard you get elss traction in reverse due to the tread design....havent had a problem yet, and Ive done 10,000km on them so far, 95% of it on bitumen and they've barely worn!

Not saying Id get them next time, but it would be an option depending on the prices of other tyres.

The reason why I don't like them is that you really need to carry 2 spares, left one and right one. But then if you don't get a flat tyre it shouldn't be a problem for gifted drivers like you max :lol: :lol:

You would be right with less traction in reverse, but the drive chain is probably weaker in this direction anyway as everything twists in an opposite way, so this would probably be a good thing.
rodw

Postby Smithyworld on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:23 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:I've been a little quite of late as Im busier than a 1 legged man in an arse kicken contest... But... I can not say enough good things about the MT MTZ....

Not sure on lifespan though.... Just my 2 cents...

I just replace my two rears after 50,000kms on them and have put them on a set of steel rims as spares. Still a good 5 -10mm of tread to get me out of trouble.
Smithyworld

Postby tgibbo on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:34 +0000

the main problem i found with the directional silverstones was poor wear because you can only rotate the front to back unless you took them off the rims and spun them, i got 35 000 k's out off them i hope i get atleast 50 out of the mtz
tgibbo

Postby rodw on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:57 +0000

tgibbo wrote:the main problem i found with the directional silverstones was poor wear because you can only rotate the front to back unless you took them off the rims and spun them, i got 35 000 k's out off them i hope i get atleast 50 out of the mtz

Interesting feedback tgibbo. Anyway better than my mate got out of the claws. I wonder how Max's Silverstone will go? I forgot to say in my earlier post that I called in at Fourby's this morning on the way to work about 7:30. Ryano must have slept in and I did not wait around. I meant to ring him this morning after I got to work it has been busy at work. Will chase him up tomorrow morning. Pain in the butt calling in on the way home as they are on the wrong side of the road.
rodw

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups