Harriet the Hilux - Clean

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Harriet the Hilux ( Now with an Eye Job )

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 1:37 +0000

Well iv done it, I scored another SR5 roll bar of ebay for only $60 and went ahead to make the rear bar fit.

After i marked up where the bolt holes go on the hard lid, placing the bar on the lid and tracing around it. I used the mounting brackets that come with the bars to mark out exactly where the holes go.

I then made up steal plates that fit into the area at the back near the lock. I used 5mm steel as that was all I had. I decided to make the plates to help secure the bar against wind resistance and it also helps disperse the load from what ever i place on it as I amde the steel go across to the side of the tray.

I pealed back the foam tape around the edges of the lid so the steel could sit closer to the lid as Im very restricted for height in my garage so every mm counted.

I then removed the locking mech and attached the steal plates.

When the bar isn't fitted i have fitted some dome nuts and nylon washers ( ill try and get rubber one ) to the bolts to help keep the water out, also to help keep the steel attached to the lid.

And the bar fitted

Now all I have to do i wait and see how long it lasts, Im pretty sure it will be fine.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Harriet the Hilux ( Rear Ladder Rack Done )

Postby murf6 on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 2:23 +0000

Mate once again you have done an awesome job.... I really considered going the same way you have, but in the end I thought having a rear bar on a dual cab tray might look a little cramped. I ended up scoring a bargain canopy, so headed down that path instead....... The black on the bars with the white paint definitly beats the standard polished alloy.. :D
2014 SR5, 2.5 lift, BFG 33's, with a few ARB bits and pieces.
murf6

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 24 Feb 2010 7:06 +0000

After an awesome drive on the weekend I cam home to remove all the mud off my car I found some nice damage to my new rim. Well a bog hole did the damage, getting my front drivers wheel stuck well and truly, almost had the rear passenger wheel off the ground. Had to get Justins to pull me out as i was nicely boged.

Here is the damage I also got another wheels scratched but no where near as bad as this.

When i purchased theses mags I had a defective rim, it was missing a fake bolt nothing much but they replaced the rim. This was lucky as i re purchased this rim at a discounted price :D Yey for me, now i got an extra spare for when i go touring, so not a bad thing, just annoying.
Last edited by Diegothecat on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:38 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 6:35 +0000

murf6 wrote:Mate once again you have done an awesome job.... I really considered going the same way you have, but in the end I thought having a rear bar on a dual cab tray might look a little cramped. I ended up scoring a bargain canopy, so headed down that path instead....... The black on the bars with the white paint definitly beats the standard polished alloy.. :D

doesnt look cramped, i had it on mine at one stage, looked ok.....

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 6:43 +0000

Diegothecat wrote:After an awesome drive on the weekend I cam home to remove all the mud off my car I found some nice damage to my new rim. Well a bog hole did the damage, getting my front drivers wheel stuck well and truly, almost had the rear passenger wheel off the ground.

Diego, You can get your rims polished. Check with a panel beater, He'll know where to go to get it done, you might be able to get them polished one at a time now you have 2 spares.
rodw

Postby Diegothecat on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 1:03 +0000

Cheers rod

some of the scratches are down to the alloy so i dont think all the polishing in the world will help :lol: :lol:

I was thinking if this is going to happen again Ill just get the rims powder coated, I would have perfered a completely black rim but I couldnt find any i liked in the correct size.

But its not a big drama if the wheels get scratched, it just shows i use my can and its not a show pony :twisted: :twisted:
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 4:27 +0000

every scratch tells a story :lol:
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 6:16 +0000

how heavy is your hard lid now to open ?? i know my old one was heavy to lift open without a roll bar on it!..

the OEM struts surely wouldnt hold it open do they ??
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Diegothecat on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 5:30 +0000

its not that bad, the struts do holed it up but i just have to make sure that the lid is fully open otherwise it may fall. It got my arm once it wasn't fun but that was because i was use to just throwing it up and not making sure it was fully open. All good now.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby rodw on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 5:45 +0000

Diegothecat wrote:Cheers rod

some of the scratches are down to the alloy so i dont think all the polishing in the world will help :lol: :lol:

I was thinking if this is going to happen again Ill just get the rims powder coated, I would have perfered a completely black rim but I couldnt find any i liked in the correct size.

But its not a big drama if the wheels get scratched, it just shows i use my can and its not a show pony :twisted: :twisted:

Some of the scratches on my rims were deep as well but the panel beater who fixed my dented sill reckons thay could be polished back to new condition. But I didn't worry about it either as mine is not a show pony either!
rodw

Postby Diegothecat on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 6:11 +0000

really wow i wouldn't have though they could

ok

Cheers for that i may see in the future if i have to go to one but heaven forbid.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby pootrol on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 6:56 +0000

truck looks awesome great work. havnt been to moreton yet looks like a good place.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Re: Harriet the Hilux

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 15 May 2010 7:48 +0000

Well the 40k Service is looming and this means a air filter replacement so i took it upon myself to replace it with something a little better Hmmmm K&N.

Gota love ebay, got it fromm the states for around $90 australian delivered when the best i could get it for here was $120. I still cant believe how big it is. Is about 4 times bigger than the one i had on my commodore...

Also a little edit on the rear ladder rack, I ended up getting new gas struts due to the extra weight of the rack and the steel brackets. Not really a major mod and only $80 for the pair. Due to the angle of the gas struts from toyota's crap install the original ones where shagged otherwise o could have just had them re gassed to hold the extra weight.

Also still having trouble getting a good balance on my wheels and tyre combo due to hub ring that sit on the face of the rim being the incorrect size inhibiting the rim face to mate level with the car. A new set of rings have been ordered by Ace Tyres ( they have been very helpful with all the wheel and tyre / suspension setup ) and should hopefully have them all sorted by next week.

Hopefuly get my failing diff sorted in 2 more weeks due to toyotas lack of service cars and the fact thye say they need the car for a whole week :shock: :shock: :shock: The noise is driving me crazy

& another thing a mech told me that my 3rd gear syncro is starting to grab :shock: :shock: WTF another thing wrong and it still hast hit 40k yet.

Oh well ill see how it all goes and ill keep this updated.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby VMN on Sun, 16 May 2010 9:02 +0000

Diego, just be cautious of the K&N. Do a search. There are not recommended for offroad use and dust can get through them. I ended up taking mine off....
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Diegothecat on Sun, 16 May 2010 3:59 +0000

VMN wrote:Diego, just be cautious of the K&N. Do a search. There are not recommended for offroad use and dust can get through them. I ended up taking mine off....

Hmmm well that SUX....

Ill have to do that when i get a chance. maybe i now need a snorkel and a dust sock - hehehe someting else to put on the wish list.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 31 Jul 2010 4:32 +0000

Well now I have a real 4x4.

Just spent the day fitting my Avenger 12000p Winch, and as always nothing goes smoothly. First of all when I used the standard mounting holes in my Sharah Bar the winch hit the cradle of the bull bar. So I relocated the mounting bolts for the winch (dont stress they havent been moves too far and they still mount on the double thickness part of the bar). This allowed the winch to be free of the cradle and operate correctly.

So the bar was removed

Then while I had the bar off I installed a eye bolt to the bar. The eye bolt is rated at 2.5 tone but im not too sure if the bar will support this force. The steel on the bar is 6mm and then a hurricane washer was added in behind it which is 75mm x 75mm and 5mm thick. Ill will never snatch off this point, Ill only use it when winching Im just hoping that this doesnt pull through.

Now all installed

Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Harriet the Hilux - Now its a real 4x4 - Its got a Winch

Postby Jack S on Sat, 31 Jul 2010 5:34 +0000

you going to paint the eye or leave it pink? ;)
Jack S

Postby VMN on Sat, 31 Jul 2010 7:01 +0000

Cooll Winching point Ben. Love that shade of pink :lol: :lol:

Glad VMN could fix you up with a quality synthetic cable winch from forum sponsor Jess at Avenger 4x4. even happier you manged to shoe horn the winch into your Sahara bar :D
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Diegothecat on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 1:24 +0000

you going to paint the eye or leave it pink?

Yea there wasnt much choice either Pink or Pink, Its actually power coated pink so ill probably leave it. If i was to change the color id like to powder coast it black but the eye of the bolt is a swivel eye I dont want to interfere with its operation.

Doesnt bother me anyways :lol:

And thanks again to Rod for supplying me with the winch and helping me through the little drama I had with it not fitting.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Jack S on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 1:44 +0000

pink just adds to the look 8-)

But the pink is actually there for a purpose (not becuase they just wanted to paint it the gayest colour), its there to show if the metal has stretched or slight fractures in it and in there areas the pink will turn black or dis-colour, to show that its been weakened and should be replaced!

Just bit of useless info for you all....
Jack S

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups