How often & what oil are you using ?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby felix on Sun, 28 Oct 2007 2:41 +0000

i haven't seen that oil either but i doubt if it is made only for toyota. if you go here http://www.castrol.com/castrol/castrolhomepage.do?categoryId=3000 and the click on the 'technical data sheet' btm left of page then type in magnatec you can get a spec sheet on it.
felix

Postby Juddian on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 2:01 +0000

First post so be gentle.
I'm reading with interest and agree with your average oil change intervals.
S'pose i'm old school and believe in good and regular servicing.
I'm in Britain and have got a new twin cab, now reading owners manual the truck is supposed to tell me when it needs an oil change...yeah right!... but unless my sight is failing me it says words to the effect that if the truck hasn't requested an oil change in 18000 miles!!!!! to change the oil anyway.
Yes you probably think the same as me and ours will have had about 4 changes by that time.
Also the fuel filter has no replacement schedule, now i have never heard anything like this, and would like to know whether your truck service schedule is as ridiculous as the British idea.
I can always dig out the owners manual and quote if you really want a chuckle.

Judd:o
Juddian

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 4:43 +0000

Hi Judd welcome aboard.
Looks like we get different owners manuals as mine states needs service every 10,000km & additional service (oil & filter) under extreme conditions.
But you are right NO R&R OF THE FUEL FILTER WHAT'S DOING THERE ?

Hey while I got you :-) OFFTOPIC LOL
You maybe able to help me with some info ?
You have the MK6 or Vigo 2006-07 over there the same as the SR5 over here.What I would like to know is the rear mudfaps have they got the Toyota emblem on them ?I have seen a pic of a vigo over there that had them on it.
I need some new rear mudflaps but Toyota want $100 each flap so instead of paying $200 for a rear set of boring black flaps.
I thought I would try source something different and let me know if you have seen any other mudflaps available over there please.
Cannot find nothing big enough over here.

thx
Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby Juddian on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 6:41 +0000

Hi Rat, just had a look and the rear flaps are plain, sorry to disappoint you, could be worth a look on the old fleabay and see if any of the Thai sellers have what youre looking for. Otherwise cut a truck mudflap to size...tougher anyway?
Another slight difference the uk version has front mudfaps also and i havent seen them on Vigo (grey import) models. I'll keep me eyes open........all the best

Judd.
Juddian

Postby Juddian on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 6:52 +0000

Sorry fellers forgot and slightly off topic, i don't use oil additives cos i use good oil having had panics over the rough sounds from my old lc KZJ70 lesson learnt there!
But for years now i have used a diesel fuel treatment called Millers diesel power plus (now superseeded by Millers deisel powersport 4 meant for euro4 engines dont you just love politicians).
Now this stuff is great it keeps the injectors and fuel pump clean and lubricated and raises the cetane rating of diesel fuel for a little more oomph.
This is needed in the uk cos some 8 to 10 years ago the experts in charge decided to reduce drastically the amount of sulphur in road diesel fuel and consequentally there were lots of fuel pumps packing up!
Touching lots of wood here since i.ve been using this stuff i've never had a fuel system problem whatsoever, do you guys have a similar product or am i over cautious?

Judd.
Juddian

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 7:05 +0000

Over here in Malaysia, Toyota recommends 5k for oil change and 10k for oil filter.

And yes, the fuel filter replacement interval is not mentioned as initially Toyota Malaysia claimed that it would not need regular scheduled change intervals. They are NOT making this claim anymore as there has been lots of claims of fuel pump failure due to the dirty diesel we get unlike in Europe.

There is a post here about the fuel filter change intervals and we were also talking about adding a secondary filter on top of the original primary fuel filter to further clean the diesel. Unfortunately, some say that adding an additional fuel filter strains the common rail fuel pump system. Furthermore, many of us change the fuel filters at different intervals. However, we all agree that Toyota's claim that the fuel filter does not need replacement is bollocks. I personally change mine at 10k intervals as it's not very costly.

Do a search and you will find the post on the fuel filter.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 7:08 +0000

Juddian,

Are you using the 2KD-FTV intercooler engine which is 2.5 litre D4D or have you got the wonderful 1KD-FTV which is the 3 litre version as what the Aussies have?

BTW, do you have the rear diff lock as standard?

Anyway, welcome on board and we hope you have an enjoyable stay with us! Hang around........

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Tunnel Rat on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 8:23 +0000

Hey Judd
Thanks for the info no the Flaps :-(
We do have front mudflaps we sort of have four front mud flaps on our model.Two are in front of the front wheel why who know's but they look cool.

Hey 9W6VX I will ring Toyota up tomorrow and see what they say about the fuel filters over here.

Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby Juddian on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 8:30 +0000

Hi 9W6VX,

Good to hear i'm not the only one who doesn't believe in all this extended or non existant servicing.
I've been driving trucks for more years than i want to think of, and have seen what good and bad servicing can do to life of vehicles.

I'll have a look for the fuel filter thread.

We waited till the 3.0 litre bacame available with the auto before we bought, and yep were very pleased with it especially now i've upped the tyre size to the same as the Vigo import, its made the truck alot more driveable, mind you good tyres help.
Plus as a bonus the speedo is now accurate.

No diff lock, we bought 'invincible' spec and that comes with limited slip diff instead.

Probably just as well cos its always raining in the uk so every bit helps with wet road grip!

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

ttfn Judd :)
Juddian

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:15 +0000

Juddian,

Thanks for the reply.

Would you have any idea how much the Toyota rear electric diff locker costs as an option?

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Juddian on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:28 +0000

Hi 9W6VX,

Never seen the electric diff locker as an option, in the uk the hilux either has diff lock as standard or limited slip diff on the more expensive models.

I dont know if you could have a diff lock with a limited slip diff, nothing stopping it i suppose, but needs more expert minds than i'll ever have to work things out.

To be honest costwise i would have thought the UK would be the most expensive place on Earth to get anything like that priced up..we're not known as 'rip off Britain' for nothing. :(

I could enquire if you need comparisons.

all the best

Judd the Pom

Juddian

Return to Servicing