Changing Hilux diff oil

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby bailey762 on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 8:00 +0000

I asked this question to ARB and they said just 80w 90 oil for locked diffs

Ash
bailey762
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 6:13 +0000
Location: Howlong nsw


 

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 8:06 +0000

Hmm interesting. I asked a couple of arb shops and both said 75w140. Non lsd. Anyone know the possible reasoning for this. ??
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby andy666 on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 8:43 +0000

The 75w140 oil won't thin out as much when hot and will handle a higher load. It won't do any damage to run it in a hilux diff with a locker, it will probably just be over kill. 85w140 is the oil normally run in the diffs of prime movers towing 8ton of trailers behind them.
the 75w90 (or similar) would fine in the hilux diffs and is what I would use myself if I had a locker.
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
User avatar
andy666
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 6:07 +0000
Location: Brisbane

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:27 +0000

Grab this link to explain thing easier.. :lol:
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
I agree with andy666. 80W -90 should be fine an EP rating, should also hold its viscosity value out to 180 degree C.
I also seem to recall the LSD oil in has detergent/ release additives to aid in the operation of the clutch packs in the LSD unit itself. Unless the additive itself interferes with the seals on the locker? It should also be fine to use.?
Are ARB specing a higher grade of oil to alleviate the problem of leaking seals and oil thinning out to much??
Cheers
SKog
User avatar
Skog07
Moderator
 
Posts: 4939
Joined: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 2:00 +0000
Location: Baulkham Hills, NSW

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:06 +0000

andy666 wrote:The 75w140 oil won't thin out as much when hot and will handle a higher load. It won't do any damage to run it in a hilux diff with a locker, it will probably just be over kill. 85w140 is the oil normally run in the diffs of prime movers towing 8ton of trailers behind them.
the 75w90 (or similar) would fine in the hilux diffs and is what I would use myself if I had a locker.


Andy666
Would this 75w140 rating in ur opinion be more benificial if running 4.88 gears in the diff. Would a higher ratio gearset result in a greater load bearing inside the diff? That coupled with a higher rotational velocity center? I only ask as u seem to kno what ur talking about. Cheers

Skog07 wrote:Grab this link to explain thing easier.. :lol:
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
I agree with andy666. 80W -90 should be fine an EP rating, should also hold its viscosity value out to 180 degree C.
I also seem to recall the LSD oil in has detergent/ release additives to aid in the operation of the clutch packs in the LSD unit itself. Unless the additive itself interferes with the seals on the locker? It should also be fine to use.?
Are ARB specing a higher grade of oil to alleviate the problem of leaking seals and oil thinning out to much??
Cheers

Sogo
Cheers for the link mate. Im nt sure the reasoning behind arbs suggestion of oil grade. Could verry well be seal issues. In regards to lsd gear oil additives, im pretty sure installing a locker eliminates the lsd and turns it into just an open diff. I think too thats y they pushed the point of Not using an lsd oil. Additives may foul the seals as u said. Cheers

SKog
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby 10 luxxxx on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 3:35 +0000

So I went to change my front diff oil today to find the last monkey to check it at Toyota has stripped the Allen key any ideas how to get it out apart for the chisel and hammer method.
I also noticed a little bit of movement in the cv very little is this normal.
User avatar
10 luxxxx
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:37 +0000
Location: Perth

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby pisso01 on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 6:13 +0000

I think the chisel hammer method is the easiest unless you want to weld a nut or bolt to it so you can get a spanner on it.

CV movement is normal.

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
User avatar
pisso01
Moderator
 
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 7:08 +0000
Location: Orange, NSW.

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby 10 luxxxx on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 6:18 +0000

Thanks Chris yeh I ended up getting it with the chisel and a lot of harsh language and busted fingers. What a pain in the ass
User avatar
10 luxxxx
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:37 +0000
Location: Perth

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby jakelux on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 6:37 +0000

What a pain in the ass that plug is... they only had to put it half an inch forward and it would be sweet!

Just looking at the ARB air locker manual it says:
normal use (with locker fitted) use Shell SAE 90 or Mobil GX90 diff oil.
Heavy off road use, use: 85W - 140.
High temp/desert use: 80w - 140.
Low temp/winter use 75W - 90.

They also reckon to change diff oil after each use in water and mud... :? so i should be changing my diff oil every second weekend.. :roll:
User avatar
jakelux
Moderator
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 5:38 +0000
Location: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby andy666 on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:16 +0000

tulula wrote:
andy666 wrote:The 75w140 oil won't thin out as much when hot and will handle a higher load. It won't do any damage to run it in a hilux diff with a locker, it will probably just be over kill. 85w140 is the oil normally run in the diffs of prime movers towing 8ton of trailers behind them.
the 75w90 (or similar) would fine in the hilux diffs and is what I would use myself if I had a locker.


Andy666
Would this 75w140 rating in ur opinion be more benificial if running 4.88 gears in the diff. Would a higher ratio gearset result in a greater load bearing inside the diff? That coupled with a higher rotational velocity center? I only ask as u seem to kno what ur talking about. Cheers


The only time that there may be some benefit in a heavier weight oil is when towing a large camper, in a hot climate and putting constant high load on the diff.
I don't believe that there is any benefit in running 75w140 diff oil simply because of a ratio change. this is because if the ratio is correctly matched to a larger tyre size, then the diff speed is actually slower then standard.
Yes there will be higher load on the diff when running larger tyres, even with a ratio change. The load inside the diff is higher, but the load the engine and gearbox experiences is reduced because of the ratio change. The higher internal diff load is normally not an issue because aftermarker gears are usually stronger.
Even with these slightly higher loads, its probably not worth running 75w140 diff oil, but it won't do any harm.
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
User avatar
andy666
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 6:07 +0000
Location: Brisbane

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:29 +0000

Cheers andy, v useful advice. Makes perfect sence. looking at the charts that jakelux posted up (thanx for that mate) i prob will be opting to run the 85w140. not being a daily drive and sittn on 38.5 boots there is still going to be a considerable load on the diff. Cheers for all the help guys. Greatly apreciated.
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby 10 luxxxx on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:35 +0000

Sittn on 38.5 that just sounds cool. :D
User avatar
10 luxxxx
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:37 +0000
Location: Perth

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:37 +0000

10 luxxx is it cv movement in and out the shaft ur talking about? Or is it side to side?. In and out is ok, but Side to side might mean the bell is on its way out and theres too much play in the bearings. Eventually resulting in the bell cracking open ( most common cv breakage). Mine is doing that as the result of the cv fouling against the strut. Finding a suitable replacement atm. Correct me if im wrong ppls. Hope this helps.
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:38 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:Sittn on 38.5 that just sounds cool. :D


bahaha doesnt it. :lol:
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby Ciboats on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:56 +0000

Hi guys
Here is a question. Ive also changed all oils recently but had a hoist so a bit easier. I also extended my breathers as well.
Being the dodgie bugger that likes to modify am i crazy to consider a resoviour to fill front diff oil.

E.g.Flexible braided hose to firewall then solid up firewall to fill point. My question would be centre diff movement being not enough to bother a flexible hose. Its definitely well protected.

Any thoughts
User avatar
Ciboats
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 7:34 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 8:08 +0000

Ciboats wrote:Hi guys
Here is a question. Ive also changed all oils recently but had a hoist so a bit easier. I also extended my breathers as well.
Being the dodgie bugger that likes to modify am i crazy to consider a resoviour to fill front diff oil.

E.g.Flexible braided hose to firewall then solid up firewall to fill point. My question would be centre diff movement being not enough to bother a flexible hose. Its definitely well protected.

Any thoughts



Sounds practical enuff mate prob no issues with the flexi braided lines. Only issue i would have is that when i fill the frnt diff via a hand pump through the filler hole, knowing when its full when oil starts dripping out of it. Perm fixing a sealed braided line to the inlet of the diff u wont have the dripping out as an indication of it being full. Just a thought mate, correct me if im incorrectly understanding ur idea. Cheers
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby Ciboats on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 8:25 +0000

Hi tulula

When we fill a diff the amount we are given is a minimum amount. In saying that, im not suggesting we overfill either. When you empty your oil its pretty easy to fill from a measured container.

Here is another scenario a bit closer to home. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and blow a cv. been done before many times. you will no doubt loose oil replacing it. considering uneven ground, probably shitty jack position in these circumstances. to try and get oil in that bloody well hidden hole.

Mmmmmm
User avatar
Ciboats
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 7:34 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 8:47 +0000

Absolutly mate. Dnt get me wrong i wasnt knocking ur idea. If u know how much oil is required then u can def fill it up with a premeasured amount. Def would save u in a pickle. Its a very practical idea let us know how u go abouts doing it if u decide to go ahead. Cheers
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 9:04 +0000

You wont loose too much replacing a cv shaft...a little but theres still be enough left in there to keep you going.

In that scenario you'd jack the side of the vehicle up with the busted cv shaft and replace it like that to maintain a little bit extra fluid in the diff once the busted shaft is replaced.
User avatar
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:00 +0000

Re: Changing Hilux diff oil

Postby tulula on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 9:09 +0000

Yeah good point max. Would jack up the side that ur replacing the cv as to trap the remaining gearoil to flow to the other side. Obviously if the situation permits.
tulula
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2010 6:46 +0000

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jacko083 and 1 guest